Rear Brakes Locking Up - Need Help ASAP! - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
Soarer

Bronco Info: 1990 Ford F150 - Converted from 6cyl auto to 5.0 5sp with ZF trans. Edelbrock Performer 600cfm carb
Rear Brakes Locking Up - Need Help ASAP!

I was prepping my truck (90 F150) for a snow plowing run when I took a test drive around the block. When I got on the brakes, the rear would lock up quickly. As you can imagine, this is pretty dangerous when you're plowing driveways and driving in a foot of snow. The rear axle in the truck is out of a '95 f150. It's the typical rear ABS drum brakes non-lsd setup. I replaced the brake shoes, bearings and seals last year. Just a month ago, a brake line blew out on me (rusted through) while driving. I got it fixed by replacing the line from the distribution block on the driver side frame rail below the driver seat to the splitter by the gas tank. Everything seemed fine after that.... until I drove in the snow tonight. When I jacked up the rear axle, I found that the wheels didn't turn easily. I could turn them with my hands but it was somewhat difficult. The wheels were packed with snow and I thought that they might have got caked up and frozen. I put a propane heater on them for a few minutes and then pulled the wheels off. I got them to turn a bit easier and put the wheels back on. I took it for another test ride and it still locked up. I need to get this fixed so I can go make money!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Soarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Bronco Info: 2006 Kia Spectra
take the drums off and look for any oil, or brake fluid on the shoes. make sure all the hardware is in the proper place and good condition, make sure none of the springs are broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco" John Galt View Post
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis

"To be easily amused is to live most of your life smiling."
TheUnforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Also, while the drums are off, check for up and down movement in the axle shaft. Worn out axle bearings can cause the brakes to act as if they're locking up as well as the axle won't be centered.

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 213k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
theramsey3
#1 Asshole

Bronco Info: 90 5.0 H.O. E4OD BW1356 3.54 3L55 32/11.50R15 Black not the one in the pic ^^^
Are the adjusters too tight? I had to teach my self how to adjust them the first few times I adjusted them too tight and the brakes would lock up in low traction situations( wet roads, dirt roads and snow) usually but not always when braking harder than normal. Just my $.02.....

Gotta get going again soon. my supermotors for before and after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_munky_man View Post
I was always taught u got to lube it up before you stick it in. My friends said the teacher yesterday said that too.
theramsey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
19BK93

Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco XLT 347 Stroker (not running right now) E4OD GT40 Heads Crane Cam
Two things, my rear brakes locked up once for bad wheel cylinders and another time when I replaced drums and breaks. Who would have thought that NAPA pads and Motorcraft Drums didn't like each other. Swapped to all motorcraft and been fine ever since! But by no means am I an expert, just 2 personal accounts! Good Luck!!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
FE Bronco

Bronco Info: Just SOME of my Dad's medals!! Moving to WA for a while to get to know him now that I found him!
A bad proportioning valve will cause this problem and since you had a rusty line there last year, maybe it was working on an internal leak of its own that has finally succumbed to the new winter weather. Just my .02. Oh, I just saw you had a 1990. I have had a 93 and 95 that both had the rusty line issue that I had to replace every line on the truck AND overhaul the ABS pump by the steering gear. I am pretty sure that the 90 used a different setup, BUT whatever pulses the ABS in the rear may just be pulsing once and locking up the rears. Food for thought.

85 XLT 351W 4bbl / C6 - stock FOR NOW!!

The greatest thread ever on FSB! IMHO
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=154751
FE Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
fordbronco1995

Bronco Info: 95 Ford Bronco,White Ext,Blue Int,5.8L 351. 18'' Chrome Wheels,33'' Nitto Terra Grapler A/T And More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FE Bronco View Post
A bad proportioning valve will cause this problem and since you had a rusty line there last year, maybe it was working on an internal leak of its own that has finally succumbed to the new winter weather. Just my .02. Oh, I just saw you had a 1990. I have had a 93 and 95 that both had the rusty line issue that I had to replace every line on the truck AND overhaul the ABS pump by the steering gear. I am pretty sure that the 90 used a different setup, BUT whatever pulses the ABS in the rear may just be pulsing once and locking up the rears. Food for thought.
x2, also check the metering and proportioning valve or the combination valve.
could also be a bad ABS pump motor or relay.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
NTaber

Bronco Info: 93 Bronco Custom 4x4, Black, Stock except for spotlight. Many upgrades coming...
I had the exact same locking up problem, however.. Wouldn't roll in neutral, nothing. Now that the shoes have been replaced and drum brakes cleaned, and free spin in neutral, my truck will not drive.. Prior to this lock up issue stopping me dead in the road the other day, the truck drove.. eehhh, ok. Never an issue with the tranny since a rebuild two years ago, and only about 1000 miles since then. It drove about 100 feet from my driveway, labored, and then nothing. Reversed about 40 of those feet and then nothing.. Maybe not the thread I need to be posting this issue on but any help would be appreciated. I can only think this has to do with the brakes locking up yesturday.. Any ideas on what to check? I can get back to work on it Saturday afternoon, please give me any ideas that come to mind!! Its a 93 with a 351 and a E4OD. Lotsa miles. I can check other threads, I am just hoping for a point in the right direction.
NTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
waltman
Lick my balls

Bronco Info: 1989 bronco, 3" suspension lift, rebuilt 302 with cam, 33' big-os
Are you saying your tranny just stopped working, or are you saying the tranny works and is trying to turn but something is preventing it? Did you raise the vehicle and see if your rear wheels spin freely?
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it

waltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
NTaber

Bronco Info: 93 Bronco Custom 4x4, Black, Stock except for spotlight. Many upgrades coming...
The wheels were spinning freely just before it took a dump, and probably against every safety rule out there I put it in gear while on jack stands and in drive both wheels were spinning. Once on the ground with it shifted in gear, I get nothing but a revving engine.. After looking at a few more threads Im thinking I need to check the "shift tube" on the column. I just dont understand how that and the brakes locking up could be connected but I think Im one of those stupid people people with a stupid question you refer to.
NTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
1badford

Bronco Info: 89 ford bronco 351w 3in body lift mild cam 33'' much more to come
check your adjustment
1badford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
Kiddles19

Bronco Info: 93, eddie bauer, 351w E4od.
I have a very similar problem. If it's rainy, sometimes the driver's side rear whell will lock up when i brake. But for some reason it stops doing that after i reach about 25-30 mph and then it brakes just fine. Also, it feels like the rear brakes are hung up. When I'm stopping or driving at a slow speed (without my foot on the brake pedal at 1-10ish mph) i can feel it braking unevenly, causing the truck to kinda wobble. If anybody knows what I'm talking about some help would be great. (sorry for the thread hijack)
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech