302/5.0 efi to carb swap - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
67galax
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT 5.0/E4OD 6" Lift, 35's
302/5.0 efi to carb swap

first off, i would have put this in the 80-96 tech section, but i don't have enough posts to do so. also, i've done a VERY quick search and didn't see anything like what i'm thinking about. so here goes...

has anyone ever considered doing an EFI to carb swap on a 5.0 motor, but keep the lower EFI intake? what i'm thinking is, custom build an upper intake with ports to match the lower efi intake, but adapt it to fit a 4bbl or 2bbl carb? i know that i'd have to have a fuel pressure regulator inline to turn down the psi on the fuel, and i'd probably need all types of electrical rerouting to get around the computer (trans, ignition, etc).

what i'm looking for is a reversible way to have a carbed 5.0 motor in my bronco, without really tearing into any 'wet' gaskets, and be able to swap it back to EFI once a year whenever emissions inspection comes calling, or if there were ever an event where my stock computer was fried and i needed the good old-fashioned carb to get my motor to run.

please don't beat me up too bad on this. just wondering if anyone has ever had a similar thought.
67galax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
92Custom

Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco Custom, 302/5 speed/4x4. pretty much stock.
What do you have to gain? Like, what on earth do you have to gain?

SEFI(what you have)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>Speed Density EFI(what my 92 has)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TBI(primitive, crappy EFI)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>carburettor.

Carbs suck. They use more fuel, pollute more, make less power, are a total bitch to start when it's -10*F out, and need to be tuned. EFI uses less fuel, pollutes less, makes more power, more easily, starts like a charm no matter the weather, and you NEVER have to tune it.

Why go carb?
92Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
67galax
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT 5.0/E4OD 6" Lift, 35's
OK, lincoln, you obviously don't get it. i'm asking if anyone has ever tried efi to carb, not what you think about this particular idea.

if TSHTF, and my computer didn't work, would anyone have a setup ready to run without a computer, without having to change the lower intake to make your bronco run.

if anyone understands and wants to comment, i'm all ears.
67galax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
Andrew James
Age. Fac ut gaudeam

Bronco Info: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo 2L/5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67galax View Post
OK, lincoln, you obviously don't get it. i'm asking if anyone has ever tried efi to carb, not what you think about this particular idea.

if TSHTF, and my computer didn't work, would anyone have a setup ready to run without a computer, without having to change the lower intake to make your bronco run.

That's actually pretty cool idea. Pretty ingenious concept. When TSHTF and we get an EMT strike, were all fawked because of the hordes of electrical bullshit in these rigs...
1989 Lincoln Town Car 5.0/AOD EFI
1986 Nissan D21 Hardbody 2.4/5speed TBI
Andrew James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
92Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew James View Post
That's actually pretty cool idea. Pretty ingenious concept. When TSHTF and we get an EMT strike, were all fawked because of the hordes of electrical bullshit in these rigs...
That electrical bullshit also controls the ignition, but I have yet to see someone go back to mechanical ignition in one of these trucks. Most realized decades ago that it's just not as good.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:23 AM   #6
TheUnforgiven
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 2006 Kia Spectra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67galax View Post

this isn't fawking zombieland dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco" John Galt View Post
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis
TheUnforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:33 AM   #7
92Custom

Honestly? Go to a junkyard and pull a computer. How much is a decent carb, like $700? You can get BRAND NEW computers at rockauto.com for like $150 shipped!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
Madcat455

Bronco Info: 89 XLT daily driver
Not easiely possible... It'd be easier, cheaper, and more practical for you to keep 5 computers in the back, before you attempt this.

First, nobody makes an upper that'll bolt to your lower for easy EFI to Carb swap. So you'll have to get wet by swapping the whole intake.

Second, you trans is controlled by your computer... if your ECM's fried, you're not shifting either. So you'd have to swap your trans for a C6, AOD, or stick.
Madcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
jopes
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
I moved it for you. And going EFI to Carb is not worth it. you will spend 1,000's to do so, then your talking about putting all the EFI stuff back on to pass emissions. Totally not worth it.

Let's Go Fishing.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
hav24wheel
is hazardous to others

Bronco Info: It's a 4 door.
I've thought about useing a EFI lower intake and making my own upper for a multi carb setup... It would be a nice high rise compaired to any carb intake...

But mine would be for a 302 goin into a 37 Ford pickup that I'm making a rat rod out of.. I have all these extra parts I can fit together so might as well lol

2003 Excursion v10, auto 4.88s 315/75R16s on 16x10s
Arctic Cat 650H1 on 27x12x12 swamp fox.
hav24wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
broncoflorida

Bronco Info: 87FSB, 302 020 over ,3g alt, GT40 heads, Exp intake , Bassani Exhaust and 24" Magnaflow muffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by hav24wheel View Post
I've thought about useing a EFI lower intake and making my own upper for a multi carb setup... It would be a nice high rise compaired to any carb intake...

But mine would be for a 302 goin into a 37 Ford pickup that I'm making a rat rod out of.. I have all these extra parts I can fit together so might as well lol
Very cool. I knew a guy who did just that with a early Ford PU ( 39 iirc ) setup as a NA drag truck, but he use a inglese manifold and stuck some weber carbs on it. A bitch to syncronize the linkage, but it ran like a bitch when it was tunned correctly.

I think he spent like 2K in carbs alone and the manifold was way over 900 dollars and are rare.
broncoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
seawalkersee

Bronco Info: 84 FSB with a 6.9 diesel/zf 5, supercharger, and 33s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Custom View Post
What do you have to gain? Like, what on earth do you have to gain?

SEFI(what you have)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>Speed Density EFI(what my 92 has)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TBI(primitive, crappy EFI)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>carburettor.

Carbs suck. They use more fuel, pollute more, make less power, are a total bitch to start when it's -10*F out, and need to be tuned. EFI uses less fuel, pollutes less, makes more power, more easily, starts like a charm no matter the weather, and you NEVER have to tune it.

Why go carb?
Hmmmm...make less power, has to be tuned, hard to start? Hmmmm...once it is tuned correctly, there is no problem. None the less, even with me liking the carbs, I think this is a REALLY bad idea. Get it fixed right.

SWS
Old 01-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
ProBronco

Bronco Info: 80 Bronco XLT 302 4sp, 4"lift on 35" Factory LS F&R
I will add is this:

With SOM much HELP and INFO on the THIS site and web EFI is easy as pie to fix/tune compared to years ago.

Fireguy50 has some killer tech on there site, so get reading.
ProBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
92Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawalkersee View Post
Hmmmm...make less power, has to be tuned, hard to start? Hmmmm...once it is tuned correctly, there is no problem. None the less, even with me liking the carbs, I think this is a REALLY bad idea. Get it fixed right.

SWS
Around here the annual temperature range can be from -10*F to 110*F. If you want to make a road trip west and through the rockies, watch the elevation climb quite dramatically. Elevation and temperature changes are things EFI can compensate for as it happens. Carbs...not so much.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
cptafw163

it would cost more for you to get this running from EFI to carb, than it would cost for chevy guys to switch from TBI to MPFI.

Get a new computer for 150 and be done. If you want more power, get in touch with some good SCT retailers who also offer some good canned tunes.
cptafw163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
huggyb1972
Rectal Spectacle

Bronco Info: 89' Bronco 5.8l Variable Speed V8, Forward, Rev, Turns left, right, stops, and everything.
I talked myself out of this route but you could fab up a box that the carb could bolt to. A new carb is gonna be around $400 with electric choke but I am under the impression that the old Q-jet works pretty good off-road so that could be cheaper, you could drop in a GM hei Ford conversion distrubutor or make a little duraspark distributor pack. In your particular case your still screwed because you have the E4OD so you'll need a controller for it. Like others have said your just throwing good money at an easy fix that is already capable of being reliable most of the time. Finding good ignition parts is the key to happiness on mine because everthing else seems to work just fine. Good luck
When all else fails roll over and play dead.
I'm as Free as Federal, state, and local laws/ordinances allow.
huggyb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech