How do I Bypass tailgate safety switch? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Bronco Nate

Bronco Info: 1993 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer edition with 5.0L V8 and E4OD tranny
How do I Bypass tailgate safety switch?

Well my tailgate stopped working on me today. I have done some reading here to trace down the problem but am not having any luck. I am able to make the window go up and down with direct current running to the motor. I have tried all of the suggestions: pressing against left corner of tailgate etc. with no luck.
So how do I bypass the safety switch? Many people have said that they have done this but I could not find any write ups on it.
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Bronco Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Dustball
shibby

There's two wires leading to it- splice the two wires together.
Dustball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Bronco Nate

I figured that is how you bypass it but wasn't sure. So now that I have bypassed it but still can't get the tailgate motor to work when using my front or rear switch than am I now looking for a bad ground somewhere?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo Nate,

Try this, take your time to do the switch(s) testing;
Wiring Diagram, Dash Switch Test, & All TG Connector Locations Diagram in 92-96
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

"...The Bronco tailgate window circuit is a common (Ford) polarity-reversing circuit with 2 switches. Each switch has its own power feed; the dash switch through the ignition switch (key-on only) and the tailgate key switch from the battery (always hot). The dash switch normally holds both motor wires to ground, and the key switch normally holds the motor wires to the dash switch wires. When either is operated, it sends one of the wires hot, powering the motor (assuming the latch switch is closed). When operated the other way, the polarity is reversed, reversing the motor's direction. Neither switch is a "master" because neither will work if the other is in the opposite position..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

====

Switch, In-Dash Test & Contact Cleaning
Source: by Cobra Jet (Phil, cobra-jet-nj) at FSB

Switch, In-Dash Test & Bypass in a 92
Source: by BeastBronk at FSB

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Bronco Nate

Thanks for all that information miesk5. I will definitely try this out and let you know what I find.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Peow130

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco 302 EFI
You could do like what the po of my truck did, and take a grinder to the tailgate and cut out the lattch, then run speaker wire to the motor from a set of toggle switches lol.
Peow130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
bobntahoe

Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco XLT 302/5.0 manual w/4"lift
open the back panel inside...lay on your back get a good flashlight, locate safety switch(in tailgate on drivers side next to latch, insulated/tape wrapped with a plug end). pull plug carefully...insert ends of jumper wire into each prong of plug end. test tailgate switch and dash switch. if all is good...wrap plug and jumper with electrical tape and tuck away safely. may as well lube all hardware up with silicone spray...and spray rubber window track too. re-install tailgate panel and yer good to go.
bobntahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
There's no need to bypass the interlock switch - just permanently install a 12V light across it, and mount the light on the top edge of the t/g inside so it's visible to the driver (in the RV mirror) or when standing at the t/g using the key switch. If the light comes on, the latch isn't fully closed. I haven't tracked down a particular light to use on mine yet, but probably a simple panel-mount incandescent (no LED).

If the light doesn't come on when the switches DON'T work, then the problem isn't related to the interlock switch.

In your case, I suspect a bad dash switch. Pull the L taillight and pierce the heavy LB/Bk wire with a grounded 12V test light to make sure you have power. The green screw for the defrost grid is a good ground. Then check the 2 heavy purple wires (one at a time, of course) while operating the t/g switch in both directions for each wire. If the light comes on, the dash switch for the OTHER direction (from what you're doing with the key switch) is bad. If it lights on both wires, the whole dash switch is bad, or it isn't grounded.

If it doesn't light on either wire, AND the glass doesn't move, the t/g switches are bad, or there's a wiring fault (probably in the t/g jamb where the wires flex).

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
Istandbyford4ever

Bronco Info: 1986 XLT with 91 351w and new AOD trans, tan & brown, 59k body, 8k motor/trans
Just a heads up. My rear window went out with the window half-way up which made it hard to see inside with the tail gate up. Instead of doing the wiring bit to by-pass the safety lock I simply reached inside and grabbed each rod on both sides of the handle that opens the tail gate, you know how those cheap tail gate handles on the new trucks will break some times so that the only way to open it is to use yours fingers and squeeze those little rods together, same concept but just reaching inside. I'm not quite sure how else to explain it but when I did that tail gate opened just fine. I did it several times untill I got the motor replaced. Stopped me from having to mess with wires, which no matter how simple I always mess an electrical job up.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
94orangepeel

Bronco Info: 94 eddie bauer 5.8w 32" bfg all-terrains 130xxx miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istandbyford4ever View Post
Just a heads up. My rear window went out with the window half-way up which made it hard to see inside with the tail gate up. Instead of doing the wiring bit to by-pass the safety lock I simply reached inside and grabbed each rod on both sides of the handle that opens the tail gate, you know how those cheap tail gate handles on the new trucks will break some times so that the only way to open it is to use yours fingers and squeeze those little rods together, same concept but just reaching inside. I'm not quite sure how else to explain it but when I did that tail gate opened just fine. I did it several times untill I got the motor replaced. Stopped me from having to mess with wires, which no matter how simple I always mess an electrical job up.
if the window is all the way up or down this will not work. and where does the motor ground at I have a red and yellow wire coming off the motor I aume ones up and the others down but cannot find the motor ground
Old 05-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94orangepeel View Post
...where does the motor ground at I have a red and yellow wire coming off the motor I aume ones up and the others down but cannot find the motor ground
Take JUST a few extra seconds to proofread & correct your posts - making it easier for us to unnerstan also makes it more likely that you'll get useful replies. Punctuation is free - use all you need; they'll make more.

Click my black Bronco in my signature & read all the captions in the Tailgate Tech album. The t/g motor grounds beside the e-brake pedal on some years. Either motor wire can be grounded, depending on which direction it needs to run. You're thinking of the way GM builds 2-direction motors. Ford uses more efficient (& cheaper) motors in a polarity-reversing circuit.

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
nelbur

Bronco Info: 1986 302 EFI
You might also want to unwrap the wire bundle where it goes from the tailgate into the quarter panel. This takes a lot of abuse and I had one wire break in this area.
nelbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Diesel_Brad

Do you have a cordless 12v drill?

Use little jumpers from the battery to the motor leads and hot wire it. If that does not work, your motor is bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!