engine bogs out when gas peddle pressed - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
gunr

Bronco Info: 1990 Eddie Bauer 5.8L
engine bogs out when gas peddle pressed

today my bronco was running alright. passed emissions testing this afternoon wich was a pleasant surprise. i took it for a short trailer run. right after leaving the pavement the engine seemed down on power, soon it sputtered out.
it would fire back up sometimes idle ruff some times idle fine for 30sec. once i presses the gas the engine bogs, if i press the gas down hard the engine starts banging, im assuming this is backfire, anyhow engine knoks bangs around then pretty much dies. the revs will sometimes come up when the gas is pressed but only for a shit while then same thing it supters out. a few times i was able to get it to move a short distance before the engine would bog right down. it dosent even have enough power to make it up a small incline. i changed the oil rad fluid fuel filter today and check voltage. i have no idea what the problem is.
dose anyone have an idea? can anyone suggest what i should try next?
thanks guy for your help.
gunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
AussieFSBracer

Bronco Info: 84 F100 Shortbed, 5.0L, AOD, 4WD.
Check your fuel pressure first, should be around 35 - 40 psi key on engine off, then see what it does when you start it up (if it starts. If the pressure is below 30 psi or the pressure drops on start-up, I would say the pump is faulty. Otherwise, while you are at it, pull codes and see what they say, thats a good starting point. Cheers. PS: you DO have fuel in the tank, right?
AussieFSBracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
gunr

thank you for the suggestions, very much appreciated.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
AussieFSBracer

Bronco Info: 84 F100 Shortbed, 5.0L, AOD, 4WD.
No probs
AussieFSBracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
magnumpi
Wrenching for a Livin'

Bronco Info: '85 Ford Bronco XLT.
pull codes, do the KOER AND KOEO tests
Welded 14 bolt, HPKingpin D60 w/ lockright, ZF5, NP205, 4.88 gears, SMPFI 393 w/ EDIS(gufx strat), Chevy 52s Front, Inboarded Chevy 63s Rear, DOM heim steering, DOM cage, Saginaw pump, 3/8" fuel system, 200amp 3G Alternator....

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck Technician
magnumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
ad5mb

Quote:
engine bogs out when gas pedal pressed
engine bogs down when you give it more air. when you press the fun pedal on a vehicle it sees more air immediately and more gas later, because gas is denser than air.

look for a vacuum leak
ad5mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
realmanofgenius6

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT 302, 4 inch lift, 35" Pro Comps
I would also look at your cats. Mine had zero power and it turned out the cats were melted.
realmanofgenius6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
Mikey350

Bronco Info: 1996 Black 302 XLT - 1994 Green 351 E. B. both have E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunr View Post

today my bronco was running alright. passed emissions testing this afternoon wich was a pleasant surprise.
When the tech does the emission tests, did he unplug anything (vacuum lines, sensors, electrical connections)? If they did, that would be the first place I would check.
Mikey350 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
gunr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey350 View Post
When the tech does the emission tests, did he unplug anything (vacuum lines, sensors, electrical connections)? If they did, that would be the first place I would check.
i had the same suspicion and a lot of time, so i tried to check pretty much every connector i could find.

today i threw in the towel paid for off road recovery and the bronco is currently sitting at a shop..........

when i find out what caused the problem i am planning on posting a fallow up just in case anyone ells runs into the same issue.

thanks guy for all the suggestions.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
jeffjls

Bronco Info: 1981 XLT 351
PLEASE let me know!!!

I had a fine running Bronco until my egr stuck open...ended up turning into all kinds of issues and I even went and put on an edelbrock to replance my Carter AFB because it was bogging. Had a mechanicd 'fix' timing, but now it is still bogging with heavy gas pedal...If I go slow, now problems and once I hit 1500 RPM - she takes off like a Bat out of Hell!!!!

I am about to lose it on the truck, but dont want to go back to the mechanic because everything was good until he 'fixed' the timing and tried to make it run smoother!!!!
jeffjls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
jeffjls

Bronco Info: 1981 XLT 351
I think I got my bog figured out...increased the stroke on my accellerator pump and now am going to advance my timing a bit...sorry probably won't help you with your problem...
jeffjls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech