Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

My 94 Bronco Endless Restoration and build

372K views 2K replies 187 participants last post by  Festus 
#1 ·

WOOHOO! Finally got me a decent bronco to fix up. Here it is.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/856099/fullsize/dsc00174.jpg

1994 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer edition. 5.0 Motor with Mass Air! Dont know if thats original or not but it looks original.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/856095/fullsize/dsc00168.jpg

Interior is in great condition for the most part, a few broken pieces here and there, nothing major.
https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/856104/fullsize/dsc00179.jpg

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/856105/fullsize/dsc00180.jpg

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/856106/fullsize/dsc00181.jpg

The PO evidently had a big bad ass stereo in it which he removed before I got it. He left all the wires going everywhere. There must be $300 worth of wire in this thing.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/856100/fullsize/dsc00175.jpg

It has a few issues. Heres what Ive found so far.
Rear WIndow doesnt work, go figure.
Rear door opener doesnt work, go figure.
Cruise control doesnt work.
When the engine is running there is a sound like a pully going bad somewhere, gonna have to trace that down. Heres a video to see what yall think it is.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/856107/fullsize/bronco-engine-noise.mp4

Tranny bumps pretty hard into 2nd, checked the fluid level and oops, not even registering on the dipstick. Hope thats not a sign of things to come, but that will just give me an excuse to get my Level 10 Tranny in there.

Overall a nice truck. No rattles, no jerking, no unusual noises other than the pulley sound. Brand New Tires! You can still see where the stickers were. Even the Spare is New! Engine pulls very strong and runs smooth. May need an IAC valve and clean out the intake as the idle is a little hit or miss but not too bad. Im very happy with it so far.

See less See more
#3 ·
I went and added Mercon to it because it was shifting hard and slipping and not reading anything on the dip stick. Took a WHOLE GALLON before i got anything on the dip stick. Guess i will be lookin for leaks tommorow.

ANother thing I forgot to add, ABS light is on and the airbag light is flashing. THink i will pull some codes tommorow and see what all i come up with.

Its shifting fantastic now that it has fluid in it. Hopefully he didnt let it go to long without it.

#5 ·
the rear window doesn't work with dash switch or key? Maybe the contacts are aligned correctly and that is causing issues. there is a write-up in the tech info section about that issue.

anyway, looks like a nice truck. Mass air was not factory for that year, but is sweet.

#1,114 ·
the rear window doesn't work with dash switch or key? Maybe the contacts are aligned correctly and that is causing issues. there is a write-up in the tech info section about that issue.
This happened to me and of course the last thing I checked... the wire connecting the motor for the window on the tailgate was the issue. You probably tried that but just in case it's helpful...

#6 ·
I didnt think mass air was factory in 94, except maybe a few in california. But My Build Date is 1/94 so im pretty sure it didnt come that way. Maybe when I get to ripping out the 10 miles of wireing i will find the build sheet under the carpet somewhere.

Random Problem of the night:
My wife was sitting in the truck today cleaning it and my son opened the drivers door and the alarm went off. Wasnt locked, dont have a clicker, but im sure it had one at some point.
Any Ideas? I had to disconnect the battery to stop it.

I can see this truck will be one mystery after another.....I love it already.

#11 ·
OK i read the clock spring thread, and then went down to check something and Yes, my horn doesnt work, cruise doesnt work and airbag light blinks. SO sounds like that one is the clock spring.....3 down 5 to go :).

#12 ·
The more i think about it the more problems im finding. lol SO temp gauge stuck on cold.
Fuel gauge showed bone dry when i got it. put 17 gallons in it and it showed about 1 and 1/4 tank full on the gauge, or about 1/4 tank past full. Im thinking, must be a bad fuel sending unit or a stuck float.

#16 ·
Im very pleased with it over all. Its a nice truck. I wanted one with a few problems so I would have something to teach my son how to fix cars on. He is 11 and this is our project truck. He is really excited about it and is very eager to learn. Give me a year or two and this thing will look awsome.

#17 ·
Woke up to a puddle of transmission fluid this morning. Oh Joy. Looks like its comming out the back somewhere, hard to tell with the big cross member there. This cant be a good sign.

#18 ·
Woke up to a puddle of transmission fluid this morning. Oh Joy. Looks like its comming out the back somewhere, hard to tell with the big cross member there. This cant be a good sign.

On the brighter side, I tore out the whole interior today. Fixed a problem with the drivers seat. Pulled out all the 2-ought Power cable from the PO's stereo that he removed. Pulled out all the old stereo cables he had goin everywhere. Pulled the rear seat out and de-funked it. De-funked the other 2 seats and the center console. The carpet was wet for some reason, gonna have to track that down. Everything on the drivers side was soaking wet. Probly the window seals at the door which look dry rotted. Carpet is actually clean and might not be original. I know the seats arent original as they have a 1995 date code on them. At least they are the right seats. They will do fine till i get my F-250 seats in.

Here are a couple of pictures from todays carnage.....

#19 ·
yeah the seal between the trans and transfercase might be bad, or the trans pan is leaking just look for clean areas in the dirt and grease that normally accumulate in a oil leak. Its a good starting point, i dont have a automatic in mine. The water leak could also be the seal between the roof and the rear removeable cab section, but thats a big leak to get that much of the carpet wet. Anyways good luck, and check the floors under the truck could have rust problems these trucks are notorious for rust.

#20 ·
No rust under the carpet. THats one thing i looked at thoroughly was for rust...i hate rust. I could have bought a 96 that was in awsome shape but had the rear talgate and both rear fenders rusted out. I didnt wanna mess with that and besides its OBDII. I picked this one because the body is in awsome shape and the interior is great and the engine runs pretty good, has 5 new tires and a mass air, and all the emmission stuff looks like its been replaced recently at least the vacuum stuff. EGR is still original and the air injection is original. Its about 99% stock which I think is good. At least I know none of the PO's screwed anything really major up with the suspension or axles (crosses fingers).

The leak is definately not from the pan. I crawled under there and looked really good. The transfer case is covered in Mercon and the very rear of the tranny too. FLuid is slung all over under there. Is the transfer case to tranny seal a inexpensive fix? Or is it more likely the rear seal on the tranny? I think you have to rebuild it to change that out, but i may be wrong.

#22 ·
THanks,
Made alot of progress today. Got the tailgate torn apart. FIxed the window motor, got it back in the regulator and tested it. Fixed my wireing problem. Fixed the defrost connector problem.
Have to orrder some parts this friday to finish it up, but im gonna put it back together in the mean time untill it all comes in.
Tommorow I am gonna take the latch out and fix the handle problem and make sure that all that stuff is working right so the handle isnt bent all the way up anymore.

Picked up some tools today, got my 12v tester, stethescope, trim tools, temp sender. I will try to get some of that done tommorow too.
I need to pull codes on the ABS and see why thats on
THen i need to pull ECM codes to see if theres any there.