Rain water coming in through Firewall. - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
JohnMcD348
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 92 Factory Original 300 I6 M5OD Manual Custom. 3 seats, AC and a radio and all vinyl interior.
Rain water coming in through Firewall.

OK, I know about the crack issue with the B-Pillar and rain gutter on the Bronco. I've got seam sealer to fix that problem. During the rains today, I noticed that I have water in my floor board. I kinda traced it to behind the covering and the firewall on the drivers side.

Is there a know weak point or some place I need to look specifically to track the entry point? Without tearing apart my entire dash.

Thanks

MY A/C Vacuum leak repair http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175808
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
sling

Bronco Info: 1994 MAF 302-E4OD EB
make sure the rubber grommets are still there
sling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
jermil01
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweecer tuned
I've got a similar kind of leak, can't tell if its coming through behind my brake booster or windshield.

Vote 4 Top 4x4 Site!!!
jermil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
JohnMcD348
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 92 Factory Original 300 I6 M5OD Manual Custom. 3 seats, AC and a radio and all vinyl interior.
OK, well, looks like one of my projects will be to remove the inner covering and go exploring. The problem with it is that it only seems to do it when it rains for long periods of time. If I run through a Car Wash, everything is fine. run the garden hose over it for a little while, nothing. Sort of like the leak with the rain gutters. I really only see it when it rains steady over a long period.

MY A/C Vacuum leak repair http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175808
Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
psychlopath
Ranger: 2001 - Present

Bronco Info: 1979 Freewheel'n, PowrLok, ARB, OBA, and anything else I can cram in
Take a look down the vent in front of the windshield. There's stuff that gets in there and plugs a little drain hole.

It can rust through in there.

The fun part comes when you ask "Well, how do I open it up and clean it out," only to find out the answer is "You can't."

That is, of course, in addition to checking for missing seam sealer and gaskets.

If you've got rust in there, I have no clue how you'd fix it short of chopping things up. Maybe there's a body guy around you who knows something about it?
psychlopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
jermil01
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweecer tuned
You can still get into that area on a '92 and up by removing the cowl. It's a PITA but it can be done. I doubt that is the problem area though..A slight leak like he's describing could be around the windshield.

Vote 4 Top 4x4 Site!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
joshmillslane

Bronco Info: 79 Custom - 460, C6, NP205, 35"BFGs
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlopath View Post
The fun part comes when you ask "Well, how do I open it up and clean it out," only to find out the answer is "You can't."
That one made me Don't you just love these old cars?
joshmillslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo; some possibuilities based on Ford TSBs
note that year range is off, but Ford didn't bother to go back and revise most later MY Bronco TSBs to include other years (based on owner complaints and/or service department data) because were became...obsolete

Windshield Water Leak Sealing Tip TSB 99-2-3 for 95-96
Source: by Ford via Chilton

Next doesn't address a water leak, but I do have a leak in area described
Door, Side, Wind Noise TSB 99-6-5 for 94-96
Source: by Ford via miesk5 at cc

I used baby powder on all ws inside cab.. then soaked Bronco down; had to hose it from driver wheel area for it to get by the WS

and as Sling advised;
Check PCM's rubber grommet
a pic or 2 by bossind in a 96 but similar

notice the other harneses/connectors and their grommets.

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
Gacknar
The Anti Yam!

Bronco Info: 86 Bronco XLT 357w/AOD
Mine does this on the pass side.
I decided it was getting in past a grommet on the top of the heater box, sealed it with silicone.....Nothing.

Then I decided it was getting past the shaft in the vacuum solenoid for the recirculation door and built a cover for the entire area.....Nothing.

It's either coming in from the bottom of the windshield, or there is a hole under the cowl. I would imagine it's the windshield.

My SuperMotors Site - My Engine

The Greatest Thread on FSB
Gacknar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
fartman
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!

Bronco Info: 88 FSB. 4.9l -T18-BW1356-33" MTs-Warn hubs Daystar leveling kit
My old bronco had a similar problem. It was rusted metal under the windshield trim. Water would collect in there and draindown the side of the dash and get the floor wet. I had to remove the trim and I used JB weld to puddy up where the metal was rusted.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Location: Northcentral,CA.Twain Harte, up here in the mountains
Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
My 94 did this only if we had a long good rain to only. There is a old thread or 2 here on it but I cant find them. Mine turned out to be the drain holes down in the cowl were plugged up.

I take Prayer Requests. God Bless
LarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
jermil01
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Guess I never paid attention to the drain holes in the cowl..I'd be interested to see a pic of exactly where they are.

Vote 4 Top 4x4 Site!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
I do have pics jermil01 Ill see if I can find them. It was a lil over 2 yrs ago but If I do Ill post them here.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #14
JohnMcD348
FSM Lifetime

Thanks. I appreciate the info. My next long weekend, I guess I'll be scanning around and under the the front of the Bronco and blowing water around the grommets. My front air intake in front of the window isn't the typical style with the ridges on it that have a tendency to let leaves and such slip through. Mine is the style that has the small holes in it. How would I be able to get into the cowling to clean the drains? Or is there a way to punch them from below? Guess I'll be crawlin and diggin g around a bit.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #15
miesk5
Fullsize Member

yo

Cowl Top Weld Joint Water Leak TSB 88-02-14 for 88 Bronco & F Series
Source: by Ford via Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

TSB 88-02-14 Cowl Top Weld Joint Water Leak

Publication Date: JANUARY 20, 1988

LIGHT TRUCK: 1988 F-SERIES, BRONCO

ISSUE: Water entering the passenger compartment of the vehicle while driving in the rain may be caused by inadequate sealing of the cowl top weld joint. The leak cannot be diagnosed using a normal water test with a hose.

ACTION: To correct this, seal the cowl top inner to outer weld joint using the following service procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Loosen hood hinge bolts on hood.
2. Position hood all the way forward and tighten bolts to hold it in position.
3. Remove cowl top grille and tape edges of cowl access opening.
4. Remove bolts from wiper pivot shaft assembly.
5. Reaching through the access hole in the cowl top outer panel, apply a bead of Ford Clear Silicone Sealer, D6AZ-19562-AA, to the cowl top weld joint.
NOTE: A SMALL MIRROR MAY BE HELPFUL TO SEE THE WELD JOINT.
6. Remove tape from cowl access opening.
7. Install bolts that hold wiper pivot shaft assembly.
8. Reinstall the cowl top grille.
9. Realign hood assembly.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
D6AZ-19652-AA Ford Clear Silicone Sealer

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Basic Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
880214A 2.1 Hrs.

--------
Drain Boot; "...The idea is to keep rodents & insects & spiders out of the ventilation system, since its intake is inside the R cowl. The slots/holes in the wiper valance are supposed to keep shit out from up there, but even on trucks with holes, leaves can still slip behind the w/s lower trim & go right down in there. So does all the dust (mud) that gets wiped off the w/s. The rubber drain valve is supposed to be large & flexible enough for the weight of the debris to push it open, but it's not..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at FSB

Just remember to clean them out regularly. A good blast from a garden hose down each side of the wiper valance once each year should be enough (unless you park under a deciduous tree), but it's not too hard to peel the wheelwells forward & empty them.

The fresh-air intake is the dark hole with the loose bolts beside it. The top opens into the wiper area, and the bottom goes to the rubber cowl drain.

ok, Comcast has slowed us down to pre-93 conn speeds again; so look in my site for more Cowl LINKs @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=832

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
Old 03-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
mickaila
not banned

Bronco Info: 82 XLT Lariat, 351W, C6, NP208, 4.56:1, 37x13.5s, all sheet metal replaced
another reason for us older BKOs to go to modern cowls.

that rubber boot is a PITA to get to, IMO it should just be removed.. that being said, i left mine in place not sure why ??

additionally, i too had a leaking window seal that acted in a similiar manner.

But also had a mustang that had a leak from the bottom of the cowl / ventillation box doing the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwagon View Post
I guess most of our members are just WEB WHEELERs and dont need public land?
mickaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

I did what Steve said, I unbolted the inner fender and it was right there packed with dirt and pine needles.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #18
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
If you decide to pull the cowl off (post pics please) you'll probably need to remove the hood to have enough room to slide the cowl out from under the windshield molding, remove any rust and repaint it and if necessary use some silicone and you should be good to go.

I know many have said you can get the cowl off without removing the hood BUT I think you'll just wind up struggling with it and maybe damage the paint etc. etc......?

Good Luck ~
JKossarides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #19
miesk5
Fullsize Member

yo JK, BRO!

here ya go, by our pal
Removal in an 86
Source: by Sixlitre (Malcolm H, Eddie Bauer) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/sup...try/4970/21912

PLENtY of PICS too!

part of Malcolm's Wiper motor swap

Old 03-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #20
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
AWESOME Brother , thanks for the tip......lol lol......
JKossarides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!