Front Brake Job - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
jowens1126
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
Front Brake Job

Ok, I know there are posts on this so dont flame me. Has anyone done a step by step tech write up on a front brake job?

Ive never done one on a bronco, and its time. Im sure I can do it myself without issue, just need some advice on parts and such.

Looking thru what posts ive found, Ive seen some conflict. Some say when you replace the pads, always get the rotors re-surfaced. Some say when you get the rotors resurfaced, always rebuild your calipers or get new ones. Still others say to just throw some pads on there and forget about it.

Looking thru the parts and stuff this is what I came up with. Im using JBG as an example, dont know if I will order from them due to all the negative opinions of members about them but they are a quick and dirty reference.

Pads - 32533 - $15.00 (Im sure these wont last long, but I dont care at the moment)
Rotors - 32112 - $29.00 a side

Heres my first question. Should I just get rotors or go ahead and get new Hub and rotors? If I get new Hub and rotors, Im thinking it will be best to get a full set of bearings right? They say the races are already installed. Should I just get the bearing and seal kit or knock the races out and get the Timken Race and bearing and seal kit and use those? Do I need a Race Driver to do that? Or can I keep the race that comes with the hub and use that with the timkens? Hub and rotor didnt say anything about 4Wheel ABS on this part number but did on the 95-96 part number. I assume they are good to go for that anyway.
Also, Is there any parts of the auto hubs that wont be able to be re-used after taking them out? O-RIngs? Would be a great time to throw some Mile Markers in, but I have to pay the Tax Man.

Hub and Rotor - 32574B - $85.00 a side
Bearing Kit - 32092K - $22.00 a Side - Dont know who makes these
Timken Bearing/Race/Seal Kit - 32096 - $54.00 - Does Both Sides

My fluid looks like nasty brown goo, so Im thinking I would be better off draining it all out and replacing it. So Guess I need to get a cool Brake Bleeder. Any suggestions on which one to get? Best inexpensive model? How much Brake Fluid does the system hold?

Should I change the hoses? Or just wait till they leak.

Anyone use an Anti-Squeal Costing on the back of the pads?

Or use High Temp Silicone Grease on the caliper hardware?

Speaking of Calipers, Should I replace those too or just wait till they break?
I really didnt wanna do an entire brake system rebuild at the moment, but I will if I need to. It just seems like everything is working fine, no leaks. Reading the posts it seems like quite a few change pads/calipers/rotors every time.

I know I need the spindle Nut tool. - 29625 - $15.00

Any other special tools I need?

So, I know this is alot of questions, Please help me figure this out. I have to sell this to the wife and she likes valid reasons for spending her money.

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067
jowens1126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
BRONCONUT
Local # 40 Boilermakers

Bronco Info: back in the bronco hut being raped by my wrenches and welder
Do your rotors have grooves cutin either side of them? If not I would not worry about replacing them, and for the bearings if your not hearing grinding I would not even waste the money on them. Your best bet is to get new pads and brake fluid if all is good. Get your self a good c-clamp if you dont have one yet.
If you do plan to replace everything I would get all new bearings, seals, grease,torque wrench and a spindle nut socket, you might also want a set of snap ring pliars. If I am remembering right the first spindle nut gets torqued to 50 ft lb's and backed off 90* set the lock washer then torque the outer spindle nut to about 90 ft lb's. Might be a good idea to pick up a haynes manual if you dont have one. I would also get all ofthis from an auto parts store to avoid shipping.

My Stupidmotors
BRONCONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
jowens1126
Fullsize Member

Yea I was planning on checking with autozone or advance on all this. Hate paying shipping and waiting for days for stuff to come in. I dont think I have any grooves at the moment so I should be good for just a fluid change and pads. Have you tried one of those Phoenix Bleeders? Looks like a good product from the videos and stuff ive seen.

Any idea how much fluid is in each loop of the system?

Old 04-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
BRONCONUT
Local # 40 Boilermakers

Bronco Info: back in the bronco hut being raped by my wrenches and welder
Mot realy but I would say one big bottle of brake fluid should do it for you. I dont have any of the bleeder kits I do it the old fashioned way.

My Stupidmotors
BRONCONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Americandan

Bronco Info: 95 5.0 XLT
and 4 bearings total.
Americandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
jermil01
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E40D, D44 SAS w/Trutrac, Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweecer tuned..
Is something wrong with your hubs?? If not, I'd just re-use them on the new rotors and save some $$..

Bearings are the trickiest part of the process..removal can sometimes be a pain, and seating them takes some patience..I'm with Bronconut, spend the money on a Haynes manual you'll be happy you did.

Vote 4 Top 4x4 Site!!!
jermil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
jowens1126
Fullsize Member

Gonna grab a haynes manual before I attempt this. Definately need it anyway. I dont think anything is wrong with the hubs. Just was thinking proactively ya know. If I have to take the hubs off to get the rotors out, I might as well replace them and the bearings and put on new manual lockers. Just not in a financial position to do that at the moment since its tax time and all. gotta pay out the ass this year. SO its just pads and fluid and hope for the best. lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!