Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Left for Dead!

97K views 420 replies 113 participants last post by  RAMPNT1 
#1 ·
I'll give you guys a brief history on this Bronco. My folks have had a summer beachhouse on Carova Beach NC now for about 20 years. The past few on our way into the canals of the area I have noticed a 78/79 Bronco sittting in a yard. Never saw it on the roads or moved from its spot in the yard. One day I drove over to the house to asked the owner if he was interested in selling it. He wasn't there so I left a note including an offer to buy it for 200 bucks. From what I could tell it was in rough shape. Floors, hood,doors tailgate all rotted from a beach life I could trace back to 2001. Based on the last valid inspection sticker still on windshield. He called me back about two months later and we worked out a deal. It was now mine, now how do I get it home? It did not run, tires bald, no brakes and gas had a sweet smell. So I barrowed my inlaws bobcat trailer and on our third attempt with our fourth vehicle pulling it we got it home.

I haven't decided exactly how intense I am going to hit this thing rebuild wise. First thing I want to do is get it running and driveable. I have done some things to it thus far. Will provide details another time. Hope you guys enjoy and please feel free to comment. Whether its good, bad or indifferent.

Rick

See less See more
#8 ·
Thats how I felt.
Great job on rescuing that bronco. :thumbup
It was a chore getting it outta there.
Nice buy man, way to keep it on the road. What year is it and motor size? Can't wait to see your progress.
Its a 1979 Custom AT,351m. From what I can tell prior to its beach transportation days it was a nice machine. Good bit of undercoating on frame and the carpet look to be original.
AWESOME! I think I know the bronco you were talking about. Good to see someone rescued the Old Girl... Can't wait to see it when it is done and if ya need help I am only a few miles away!
Thanks bud, might just take you up on that.
Nice Buy!! Good looking project truck!
Thanks!
Good find. Did you get it for that offer pirice?
Got her for 200, I thought motor, transfer case and tranny cores, top, seats, axles would be worth it if the ole girl didn't turn over.

#9 ·
Wow Good deal! Keep us posted on the progress.

#10 ·
Cool deal. I work up there some times during the summer with Fire/EMS. That sand is terrible on vehicles. I have seen people take brand new vehicles and run them through the ocean waves. Glad to know that it is going to good home and get a 2nd chance at life.

#11 ·
Wish I could find a deal like that, good find, and thanks for bringing her back to life!! Keep us posted.

#14 ·
Rick, nice project. Looks like a well optioned Custom. Nice color scheme. Looks like it's missing the reacetrack trim?

Have you started it yet? I picked mine up from Newport News. It had been sitting since ~2002 and the gas had a bad smell. I drained the gas as good as I could and then added fresh, rebuilt the carb and started it. I got it running but I really should have dropped the tank and drained it dry of the old gas. Next time I started it it ran rouger and rougher. Ended up bending 3 push rods from stuck valves. Now I am rebuilding the entire engine! It needed it anyway but I am doing it sooner than I had planned! Good luck.

#15 ·
So I got it home and wanted to see if I could get it to start. It needed a battery, so I purchased one and attempted to start it. No luck, I checked all the wiring from battery to starter and altenator. I found a bad ground and bad positive terminal was the culprate. I examined the starter while I was there and saw a couple of teeth were chipped and was only being held in by one bolt. So new wires, starter, starter silinoid and new fuel hose to carb since current one was dry rotted. I poured some gas in carb and she fired up but I could not get it to stay running. I felt good about it starting and running off gas that I put in carb. Pics and more details to follow soon.

Rick

#16 ·
Here is a close up of what she looked like when I got her home.

Next one is a photo of the motor. Yep thats the heater hose come out of the block and going right back in. Its a beach truck guess it didn't need a heater core.
A shot of the lower front fender. Overall the rust doesn't look that bad.
Some photos of the doorsill and the floorboards. Yep thats that can you can buy just about anywhere. Its called 'Great Stuff", but I don't think they intended to use it like this. I have decided to designate a camera for rebuild photos. To much time editing what I have done.

Attachments

#17 ·
Yep thats that can you can buy just about anywhere. Its called 'Great Stuff", but I don't think they intended to use it like this.
it lives up to its name, with 1001 uses! wow, you got a steal on that one...too bad you couldn't repeat that one with the jerk that sold the green machine to you. anyway, you have quite the collection....seeing your herd makes me miss my 78.

#19 ·
Been kinda busy lately with the kids and wife. Have not had a lot of time to work on the old girl. Been thinking about how I am going to approach this project. I have come to the conclusion that I am going basically band-aid the exterior for now(rattle can paint job). While I work from the inside out. I got the brakes all new brake lines, new rear pads, gas tank in,carb rebuilt, new tailgate wired up, new hood, driver window track replaced (original rusted out). Over the past month have been working on the paint job. I found soe Rust-o-leum x2 coverage spray paint at the Home Depot. Cost was 3.47 a can. I got 10 blues and 8 whites semi-gloss. From about 20ft looks awesome IMO. Gonna get some new weather stripping for top and then I hit the interior. Oh after I get tires mounted and brakes bled. Looks to good just to sit under these trees. Okay enough blah blah blah.

Rick

Attachments

#21 ·
Also got the new well new to Bronco hood latch installed. I know you will find this hard to believe but old one was rusted through. Stll need to align hood as you can see. Also included my half a bronco I got from Norfolkf05 (Josh). How about that front clip? PO thought it would be cool to have a folding forward clip. Nice straight line is best thing he did and maybe the power latch on the hood release.

Rick

Attachments

#30 ·
Looking forward to following this one, Rick! Love the first gen FSB. You going to post up any more pics of the motor, interior, underbody, etc?

Is the other one just a parts truck, or a project? I actually think the flip front would be cool if done correctly. It would make motor access way easier, that's for sure...

#31 ·
I actually think the flip front would be cool if done correctly. It would make motor access way easier, that's for sure...
you are right on both accounts....lots easier access, but it def was not done correctly!

rattle can looks pretty decent, rick.

#32 ·
nice find rick specially for the price.
theres one in a yard round here that they want three grand for and its its in pretty sorry shape as well.
most everything is there but as far as i can tell not half as good as yours is.
good luck and keep up the updates.

#33 ·
Your rattle can paint job looks good! Course like you said, upclose it's not that great but 10 feet back it's nice! I know the feeling on that.

I don't think the front clip is savagable on that part truck! It looks like's holding together by habit! LOL

I thought about doing a front clip flip on my bronco but that's down the road. Plus I think I might do it a little better then that one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.