Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

SaltLife's Beach Build

175K views 928 replies 137 participants last post by  Saltlife 
#1 ·
I have been up here for a few weeks checking out everyone's build and mods. Now im ready to start my build thread.

History: I had a 87 Ford Ranger 2.3 4cyl 2wd AOD . I posted my gas saving ranger on Craigslist for trade on a V8 truck. I had a guy contact me wanting to trade his 88 Bronco XLT 351W C6 for the Ranger. Took a look at the Bronco it needs a lot of work but still in good running condition. I took the trade and think i got the better end of the deal.

Bronco: 88 XLT 351W C6 with 176,000 miles, 3" body lift on 33" 12.5 15 A/T, duals from a magnaflow muffler. Good shape a little rust on the back fenders but the guy gave me the new fenders he bought and never put on.

Ranger:

Bronco:

Inside is nice and clean. I mounted my CB in there. (needs new drivers seat)

Hood up

3" body lift --- thinking of taking it off and going with a 4" skyjacker.

What i have done so far:

Used Side step bars

New MAP Sensor -- read bad on codes

New IAC Motor and TPS Guy unplugged last one and ran it for a year that way!

New Radiator --- old one was busted as seams

New Acceleration cable -- broke during take off a few days after trade!

New Brake Master cylinder

More pictures to come as i go. changed trans fluid filter and gasket, 10w 30 Valvoline Max life motor oil and pureone purolator filter. I am no master mechanic but i have learned a lot from my dad (Sr Mechanic over his shop) over the years. This is my first real build and looks like i have my hands full but should be fun! I will be posting a lot of questions as i go im sure.

The rig didnt come with a spare tire carrier. I found a guy selling his Bronco on CL emailed him and he is willing to sell his off his rig with the spare 31" tire for only $50!!!! :rockon i will be getting that this evening.

Next week im getting the complete exhaust done (by a local exhaust shop) new y pipe into new O2 sensor and magnaflow cat into y pipe duals with no mufflers. Will post pics and sound clip once done.

After that comes a complete tune up (plugs, wires, fuel filter, and maybe custom intake). Then going to start working on body, lift, tires and paint!

Im excited about the Bronco and ready to get it out there and start playing!!

I have all kinds of future ideas for it!!!.. i will continue reading and put together everything and post my ideas as i go. Thanks for everything! :beer

See less See more
#3 ·
Why are you going to take off the body lift to put on a suspension lift.....can't you keep both or are you doing that to keep it street legal? Just wondering what your reason is.

Awesome truck to start with! I love that blue and white two tone. The interior looks nice too. The engine bay looks fairly clean.....that new radiator looks nice. What kind is it?

#4 ·
Why are you going to take off the body lift to put on a suspension lift.....can't you keep both or are you doing that to keep it street legal? Just wondering what your reason is.

Awesome truck to start with! I love that blue and white two tone. The interior looks nice too.
I dont want to go bigger on my tires im going to stick with 33s Just wanted to put another inch lift on it. :cool:

Im digging the color also once i replace the back panels im going to blast, prime, and get it painted. Thinking of keeping the same colors though. :thumbup

#5 ·
Welcome to FSB Officially ~ :thumbup

Looks like you've been busy...lol lol..getting a handle on things so kudos Brother and I dig the color too, it looks to be in great shape and even better when you fix those rusted panels.

What's wrong with the height it's at now, it looks good me....?

Enjoy! :beer

#7 ·
Suggestion, when you do the exhaust run the pipes out the side not the back. If you run it straight out the back you are going to suck the fumes in the back window. Also do a thread search before you do the tune up might be some slight changes you can do for boosting performance of the 302. Keep up the good work, see you on the roads or at a local event.

#8 ·
Thanks im having that problem right now with the fumes it has duels out the back and i cant even roll down my back window without choking on the fumes. :cry so they will come out the side or before the rear tires. It's the 351W and i will do more research on here before the tune up. :thumbup

Honk if ya see me theres not many broncos around here. :beer

#10 ·
For a tune up tip try Sixlitre ~ ignition & timing upgrade and see what you think....AND if smog laws prevail where you are, take a look at this thread ~ I done failed my smog test (tears) you won't believe how simple it is and how dramatic the results are...to PASS 100% GUARANTEED in ANY state.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

#13 ·
Thanks JKossarides i will read up on it.
I was not able to get in the garage with the rig over the weekend (Promised the GF i would spend time with her this weekend) since i have had the bronco its taking up the past 4 weekends lol :goodfinge

Im going to get the exhaust this week im excited to see how it changes the performance and sound! :goodfinge

Everyone seems to really like the color scheme so i will get it painted the same colors once im ready :thumbup

#15 ·
Idk if you live in a state with smog testing.. but later in the future you can buy an edelbrock efi intake, and a good set of heads and get 300+ hp and 400+ torque. :thumbup

Enjoying you build, i got a 1989 f150. I love these body style Fords. can't wait to see more. :popc1:

#16 · (Edited)
ToddMc no i dont have the funds right now for complete stainless steel.

SCRebel edelbrock efi intake will come but not until later. I will be stoked once i get that! But right now trying to fix all of whats wrong with it before the performance mods come.

Went up on http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ and bought the new cat today:

MAGNAFLOW CATALYTIC CONVERTER DIRECT FIT

Only $219 with free shipping. I found a discount code i googled for that gave me $19 off.

#17 · (Edited)
The rig didnt come with a spare tire carrier. I found a guy selling his Bronco on CL emailed him and he is willing to sell his off his rig with the spare 31" tire for only $50!!!! i will be getting that this evening.
Does your quarter panel have the reinforcments for the tire rack?

you can buy an edelbrock efi intake, and a good set of heads and get 300+ hp and 400+ torque.
Uhhh, no you cant.
At least not at any reasonable RPM.

And even if you could, there would be a bit more to it than that.

Also, there is no need to swap intakes on a 302, leave that to the 351w's

#18 ·
Does your quarter panel have the reinforcments for the tire rack?

Also, there is no need to swap intakes on a 302, leave that to the 351w's
I have new panels i have to put on to replace the rusted ones. But yes i plan on reinforcing them if needed before mounting the rack :thumbup

This may be a dumb question but like I said I’m no master mechanic here (still a newbie). :duh I was told this is a 351W ... Was I told wrong? Had no books with the truck and the stickers not up there anymore. I have bought parts for a 351W and they work perfect.

#20 ·
Picture #12 shows that TV cable and to me it looks too long as it is and needs to be adjusted or you'll have problems with the tranny.

Basicaly you need to unsnap the black piece in the bracket that holds the cable in place and pull back on it to take up the slack, there's also a performance tip adjusting it at WOT = wide open throttle, engine off for performance shifting if you like....some where on FSB there's a You Tube link/video on How To OR just look on You Tube directly for it.

The AOD transmission has 14 bolts to the fluid pan and IIRC the E4OD has 17 bolts but there's a chart of transmissions on www.broncolinks.com that will help you figure out what you have.

Good Luck ~:thumbup

#24 ·
I agree the colors look killer. Go original.

If it has the original intake it will say on the top what size motor it is. Post a pic if you get a chance.

That is a sharp Bronco. When I was looking for a daily driver the last thing I was looking for was the body style like we have, but I have really grown to like it a lot. Who new bricks were hot looking??????

#33 ·
saltlife85:

Thanks for the link Brother, did you get the y pipe, mag-cat and O2 sensor for $219.00.......? for my 86 BKO XLT Y pipe and cat is part #: M6693307 - Mfr #: 93307 at $224.22 no shipping, not bad -good to know ......:thumbup

#35 ·
Got the exhaust done.. details: Y-pipe off the manifold with a high flow magna flow cat no muffler 3' pipe to another Y-pipe out the side behind the rear tires. (I CAN ROLL DOWN MY BACK GLASS WITHOUT KILLING MYSELF WITH FUMES)! :goodfinge

Y- pipe off the headers.

Magnaflow cat

Y-pipe where the Muffler was

Pipes out both sides

Video:

I had a clogged cat and original O2 sensor :banghead .. since replacing the whole system (with new O2 sensor) I can already feel more power and flow through the rig. Sounds real good in and outside. :beer Im going to fill it up Monday morning when i get back on Base drive it for the week and see how the MPG change. I was at 10mpg. Hopefully i can get 12mpg. we will see. :thumbup

#52 ·
Pipes out both sides
I would say by the look of things on your gas tank you have a bigger leak towards the top of the tank. I would pull the skid plate (run it low on gas 1-2 gallons in the tank) remove the tank and check the seams around the outside of the tank. Have you confirmed you have a 351(5.8) or a 302(5.0)? It looks like you have a 302 (5.0) with an AOD tranny from one of your earlier pics. Also the patch panels for the upper wheel arches are for a 1980-1986 as well. Looks good so far. One last thing you may need to replace the inner wheel arch they tend to rust out as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.