Codes 63, 98 and idle adjustment - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Cheesehead

Bronco Info: 1988 XLT 5.0l w/AOD & Rebuilt BW1356
Codes 63, 98 and idle adjustment

Okay I'm looking for a little confirmation on my situation.

I have a '88 302 that has been throwing KOER codes of 63 and 98.

I also had a stalling at idle issue.

While looking into my stalling issue I found my idle set screw broken off leaving the butterflies fully closed at idle. Well I removed the broken set screw and replaced it with a new one. I then set the idle to 700 rpm's with the IAC unplugged. After researching I now realize I should have been setting the idle around 400 rpm's - 600 rpm's. Well after setting the idle to 700 and plugging the IAC back up (and clearing the codes) I took it for a test drive. The truck was idling high (around 1000 - 1100 rpm's). So after about 30 miles I pulled over and re-adjusted the idle down. During the first 30 miles no CEL at all. So I drove another 10 miles or so with the adjusted idle and the CEL started to flash. It flashed for a bit then just stayed on. I continued home and checked the codes and codes 63 and 98 came up again.

So after researching I have came to the conclusion (If I am grasping this correctly!) that the idle setting plays a part in how the TP sensor works/reacts. Correct? Is this why I had no CEL while the idle was set higher?

And when I adjusted the idle lower the TP sensor then was out of range throwing the code 63 and consequently code 98.

Does this all seem reasonable? If so then all I should need to do is go and reset the idle to a max of 600 rpm's with the IAC unplugged and I should be good to go. Right? Please say yes!! LOL!

Anyways.............let me know if I am totally of base here of if this is correct.

Thanks!
Cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
rla2005

Bronco Info: 2004 6.8L Excursion 4x4
Yes there is interaction between the idle stop screw and the TPS closed throttle signal value. If you have to turn the idle screw down so far the TPS is below 0.6 VDC then there is a problem. The typical cause of a high idle RPM is a vacuum leak. I think the vacuum leak induced high idle is your root issue here. Adjusting the throttle stop screw to a value below 0.6VDC is masking the true problem.
rla2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rla2005 View Post
Yes there is interaction between the idle stop screw and the TPS closed throttle signal value. If you have to turn the idle screw down so far the TPS is below 0.6 VDC then there is a problem. The typical cause of a high idle RPM is a vacuum leak. I think the vacuum leak induced high idle is your root issue here. Adjusting the throttle stop screw to a value below 0.6VDC is masking the true problem.
Thank you for the response.

I may not have been clear in my previous post. I had to replace my idle stop screw due to it being sheared off. So I had to set my reset my idle stop. And the first time I adjusted the idle I had it to high (1000 - 1100 rpm's). Then I adjusted it to low and the CEL came on. So now I need to re-adjust it to the normal range.

I will definitely look for any vacuum leaks as well. I did find the two vacuum lines going into the TB intake cracked at the ends. So I just cut them down to where there was no cracks and re-attached.

Thanks again!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Gacknar
The Anti Yam!

Bronco Info: 86 Bronco XLT 357w/AOD
Did you check and adjust the TPS after installing the new idle set screw and setting the idle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacknar
1. Start engine, and run it until it has reached operating temperature.

2. Unplug the IAC, if the truck dies when you unplug the IAC then turn the idle stop screw one turn, and try to start the truck. Continue doing this step until you get the truck to idle with the IAC unplugged.

3. Now with the truck idling with the IAC unplugged adjust the idle stop screw to where the truck is idling at 400-600 rpms. I personally set all mine to 600rpm.

4. Reconnect the IAC, the idle should bump up slightly.

5. Check the voltage on the TPS
http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=30
It should be between .90 and .99 volts. If it is not, wallow out the mounting screw holes so that you can turn it to where it reads between those two numbers.

6. If you had to adjust the TPS, then unplug your IAC again and make sure the idle is where you left it.

7. If it is then your golden, if not then repeat the steps until it is

Do you have an E4OD tranny?
Where those codes KOEO or CM?

My SuperMotors Site - My Engine

The Greatest Thread on FSB

Last edited by Gacknar; 08-09-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Gacknar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacknar View Post
Did you check and adjust the TPS after installing the new idle set screw and setting the idle?
I haven't yet. But I plan on it. I only had Sunday off and I spent that working on getting the idle screw and intake from the pick-n-pull. But that is my next step.

Quote:
Do you have an E4OD tranny?
I think it is the stock tranny but I haven't really looked into it yet.

Quote:
Where those codes KOEO or CM?
Key on/Engine off was code 63. Key on/Engine on was codes 63 and 98.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
DTC 63 in KOEO Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) below minimum 0.6 volts. Suspect open TP sensor, or grounded, check harness
DTC 63 in KOER TPS ckt has intermittently failed below minimum 0.6 volts

DTC 98 in KOEO/ CM Electronic pressure control driver open in EEC (E4OD).
DTC 98 in KOER Vehicle did not pass Key On Engine Off (KOEO) test; Rerun KOEO and fix whatever you find there

Hard fault present; "...Failure Mode Effects Management (FMEM) FMEM is an alternate system strategy in the PCM designed to maintain vehicle operation should one or more sensor inputs fail. When a sensor input is perceived to be out-of-limits by the PCM, an alternative strategy will be initiated. The PCM will substitute a fixed in-limit sensor value and will continue to monitor the faulty sensor input. If the faulty sensor operates within limits, the PCM will return to the normal engine running strategy. Engine Running DTC 98 or 998 will be displayed when FMEM is in effect. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/Message will remain on when FMEM is in effect. The MIL will come on while the engine is operating in Failure Mode Effects Management (FMEM) or Hardware Limited Operation Strategy (HLOS) modes. The light will stay on for at least 10 seconds, then stay on as long as the fault causing it is present. If the MIL flashes quickly (less than 10 seconds), the MIL circuit should be checked for concerns. Refer to «Quick Test». In FMEM mode, the PCM is receiving a sensor signal that is outside the limits set by the calibration strategy. In this mode, the PCM uses an alternate engine control strategy to maintain reasonable vehicle operation in spite of the fault. The DTC associated with this fault is stored in Keep Alive Memory (KAM). If the fault is no longer present, the light will turn off and the vehicle will return to the normal vehicle strategy. The DTC stored when the light was on is kept in Continuous Memory for the next 80 warm-up cycles (40 cycles on some applications) and then erased. This Continuous Memory DTC can be accessed by running the Key On Engine Off Self-Test..."

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Gacknar
The Anti Yam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Key on/Engine off was code 63. Key on/Engine on was codes 63 and 98.
63 KOEO = TPS circuit below minimum 0.6 volts.
Your TPS is giving a reading to the EEC that is less than what it should get with the throttle closed (0.9v) Either it is miss adjusted, the sensor is bad, or you have a wiring problem.

98 KOER = Electronic pressure control driver open in EEC (E4OD)

Is your transmission an E4OD (P-R-N-D-2-1 with a push button overdrive)? Was it in park when you ran the KOER test?

Old 08-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesk5 View Post
DTC 63 in KOEO Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) below minimum 0.6 volts. Suspect open TP sensor, or grounded, check harness
DTC 63 in KOER TPS ckt has intermittently failed below minimum 0.6 volts

DTC 98 in KOEO/ CM Electronic pressure control driver open in EEC (E4OD).
DTC 98 in KOER Vehicle did not pass Key On Engine Off (KOEO) test; Rerun KOEO and fix whatever you find there

Hard fault present; "...Failure Mode Effects Management (FMEM) FMEM is an alternate system strategy in the PCM designed to maintain vehicle operation should one or more sensor inputs fail. When a sensor input is perceived to be out-of-limits by the PCM, an alternative strategy will be initiated. The PCM will substitute a fixed in-limit sensor value and will continue to monitor the faulty sensor input. If the faulty sensor operates within limits, the PCM will return to the normal engine running strategy. Engine Running DTC 98 or 998 will be displayed when FMEM is in effect. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/Message will remain on when FMEM is in effect. The MIL will come on while the engine is operating in Failure Mode Effects Management (FMEM) or Hardware Limited Operation Strategy (HLOS) modes. The light will stay on for at least 10 seconds, then stay on as long as the fault causing it is present. If the MIL flashes quickly (less than 10 seconds), the MIL circuit should be checked for concerns. Refer to «Quick Test». In FMEM mode, the PCM is receiving a sensor signal that is outside the limits set by the calibration strategy. In this mode, the PCM uses an alternate engine control strategy to maintain reasonable vehicle operation in spite of the fault. The DTC associated with this fault is stored in Keep Alive Memory (KAM). If the fault is no longer present, the light will turn off and the vehicle will return to the normal vehicle strategy. The DTC stored when the light was on is kept in Continuous Memory for the next 80 warm-up cycles (40 cycles on some applications) and then erased. This Continuous Memory DTC can be accessed by running the Key On Engine Off Self-Test..."
Thanks miesk5
Old 08-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Cheesehead

Quote:
63 KOEO = TPS circuit below minimum 0.6 volts.
Your TPS is giving a reading to the EEC that is less than what it should get with the throttle closed (0.9v) Either it is miss adjusted, the sensor is bad, or you have a wiring problem.

98 KOER = Electronic pressure control driver open in EEC (E4OD)

Is your transmission an E4OD (P-R-N-D-2-1 with a push button overdrive)? Was it in park when you ran the KOER test?
I will check the voltage and connections today (hopefully!).

And my trans does not have a push button overdrive. And yes it was in park when I ran the test.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
Gacknar
The Anti Yam!

Do not worry about 98 at this point, concentrate on 63.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Cheesehead

Quote:
Do not worry about 98 at this point, concentrate on 63.
So does that mean I do not have the E4OD transmission?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #12
Gacknar
The Anti Yam!

Quote:
So does that mean I do not have the E4OD transmission?
Correct, You either have an AOD or C-6.

Last edited by Gacknar; 08-10-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
Cheesehead

Quote:
Correct, You either have an AOD or C-6.
How do I determine which one I have? And of the two is there on prefered over the other?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
Gacknar
The Anti Yam!

Quote:
How do I determine which one I have? And of the two is there on prefered over the other?

Thanks!
P-R-N-D-2-1 (no overdrive) = C-6

P-R-N-OD-D-1 = AOD

Stock AOD's can be a little weak and clunky, but not overly so.

C-6's are tough as nails but have no overdrive.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
Cheesehead

Quote:
P-R-N-D-2-1 (no overdrive) = C-6

P-R-N-OD-D-1 = AOD

Stock AOD's can be a little weak and clunky, but not overly so.

C-6's are tough as nails but have no overdrive.
Okay I confirmed I have the AOD transmission with the clunky OD/D issue which I will be addressing this weekend with a remote trans. filter and new copper bushing. Please see new thread for questions on the remote trans. filter install!

I am still having issues with the code 63. My only symptoms (that I notice) are stalling at start up. When the engine gets warmed up it idles around 650 rpms and nice and steady. I did check and I am getting 5 volts to the TPS connector but I have not back probed it yet.

I had a thought I want to run past all of you. Is it possible that the wiring harness side plug is faulty?

I have had this code since I bought the truck and began trying to eliminate it. I had a shop install a new TPS and still get the code. So I removed it a re-installed it thinking they did not have it aligned correctly and still get the code. So I am thinking it has something to do with the wiring or plug on the harness side. Any thoughts?

And would the stalling out at start up be the only symptoms from a code 63 (Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) below minimum 0.6 volts)?

I'm hoping to get this resolved this coming weekend. So any suggestions on what to try or look for would be greatly appreciated.

I almost forgot. Is it possible to buy a plug for the wiring harness side? If so any links to where would be appreciated as well!!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #16
miesk5
Fullsize Member

yo more on DTC 63 in KOEO Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) below minimum 0.6 volts
DH4 CHECK VREF CIRCUIT VOLTAGE; Key off. l TP sensor disconnected. Key on, engine off. Measure voltage between VREF circuit and SIG RTN circuit at the TP sensor vehicle harness connector. Is voltage between 4.0 and 6.0 volts?
Yes, REPLACE TP sensor. RERUN Quick Test.
No, Key off. RECONNECT all components. GO to Pinpoint Test Step C1.

C1 CHECK VEHICLE BATTERY POWER CIRCUIT; Key off. Disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary. Install breakout box and connect PCM to breakout box. Key on, engine off. Measure voltage between Test Pin 37 at the breakout box and SIG RTN circuit in the Data Link Connector (DLC). Note voltage. Measure voltage across battery terminals. Note voltage. Are both voltages greater than 10.5 volts, and are both voltages within 1.0 volt of each other?
Yes, GO to C2. No Key Off, RECONNECT sensor (if applicable).
GO to B1

I don't have the B2 nor C2, yet.

BOB test pins numbersp are most often same as EEC pins numbers

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
Old 08-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #17
miesk5
Fullsize Member

yo,
EEC Wiring Diagram in 87-89 Bronco & F series (Mitchell)
Source: by equivalent (Beetlejuice) at SuperMotors.net

EEC Connector Pin Diagram & Overview
Source: by Fireguy50 (Ryan M) at fordfuelinjection.com

EEC Connector Pin Outs, Bronco & Ford Truck & Van: 4.9, 460, 5.0, 5.8; miesk5 Note, see his Connector Pin Diagram Link above)
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://fordfuelinjection.com/truckpinouts.html
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #18
mouzer1
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco XLT. 4" ProComp lift
I will throw my two cents in here for what it is worth. I was having the same issue on my 351 and was throwing the 63 code. It wasnt until I replaced both the TPS and Fuel Pressure regulator that I was able to clear the codes and oddly enough, pass smog...
mouzer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #19
Cheesehead

Thanks for all the info. miesk5! I'm going to try and trouble shoot this this weekend.

mouzer 1: Thanks for your input as well. I have considered the fact that I may have got a faulty TPS from NAPA. But I'm not sure how to tell for sure. Unfortunately I do not have a known good one to switch it out with. And I have already replaced the fuel regulator.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #20
Cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesk5 View Post
yo more on DTC 63 in KOEO Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) below minimum 0.6 volts
DH4 CHECK VREF CIRCUIT VOLTAGE; Key off. l TP sensor disconnected. Key on, engine off. Measure voltage between VREF circuit and SIG RTN circuit at the TP sensor vehicle harness connector. Is voltage between 4.0 and 6.0 volts?
Yes, REPLACE TP sensor. RERUN Quick Test.
No, Key off. RECONNECT all components. GO to Pinpoint Test Step C1.
What is the VREF circuit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech