How to test airbag sensor? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
moosey42

Bronco Info: 1994 xlt
How to test airbag sensor?

I need to test my rear airbag sensor to see if its working. Anybody have tips or direction on how to do this?
moosey42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Redwagon
rolling Rolling ROLLING....

Bronco Info: 93 Cherokee
I didnt think broncos had rear air bag sensors?

Newest token Jeep owner....

Redwagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo,
it is (also called the RH Safing Sensor) at the base of the RH (passenger side) B Pillar, Ford Part Number 14B007, Depictions, etc. from Ford Workshop Manual in 96 Bronco

pics in a 96

Source: by Tool38 (Bronc) at SuperMotors.net

Wiring Diagram by Ford via Steve83

All component replacement must be done with the negative battery cable disconnected for as minimum of one minute before service or replacement is attempted.

but I Disconnect battery for at least 30 mins (* I am on safe side)
make sure there are no add-on batteries in accessories,,, why?.. a friend lost eyesight in on e eye due to back-up batty for some pos alarm.
use wiring diagram to test JUST THE SENSOR ; check connector for corrosion or discoconnection; both are usual suspects;

what code did you get?

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
moosey42

I get the 22 code. Sometimes it flashes, sometimes it doesnt. Ive take the plug off the sensor, cleaned the connectors, and reconnected. Was curious if there is a way of testing the sensor with an voltage meter or something.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo, ok, someone else has same Air Bag code and we have been discussing it via e mail; must be somethAng that is getting common now due to age.
All component replacement must be done with the negative battery cable disconnected for as minimum of one minute before service or replacement is attempted. - I also advise checking for an add-on electr device that has a self-contained Battery... disarm if found.

Dis-Arming Video & Connector Location in a 94; "...how to disarm a ford airbag. the backup power supply can still set off the airbag up to a full minute after the battery is disconnected so be sure to give it ample time to deplete.if the bag goes off on you i cannot be held responsible..."; MIESK5 Note, Suggest Right Clicking this Hot Link & Open in New Window
Source: by pfun41 at youtube.com http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/u/19/Ei11NsX97JE
Here it is
DTC 22 Air Bag Pin-Point test, Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Output Circuit Shorted to Battery Voltage; The air bag diagnostic monitor measures voltage at Pins 11, Circuit 614 (GY/O) and 12, Circuit 623 (P/W). The voltage at these pins is controlled by two resistors inside the air bag diagnostic monitor and the voltage varies with charging system voltage (the expected voltages at Pins 11 and 12 are shown in the chart below). If the voltage at both of these pins exceeds 5 volts, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash out Code 22. Possible Causes: High voltage at Pins 11 and 12 can be caused by: (1) Note: The wiring harness leading to the rear air bag sensor and bracket carries higher voltage circuits that may short to Circuits 614 and 623. A short in wiring harness between Circuits 614 (GY/O) or 623 (P/W) and another wire can cause high voltage on these circuits. (2) A short in the air bag sliding contact between Circuit 614 and some of the horn or speed control wiring. (3) Note: The voltage on Circuits 611 and 612 inside the rear air bag sensor and bracket is usually battery voltage or higher. There should be an open circuit across the contacts of the rear air bag sensor and bracket if the sensor is operating normally. If the sensor contacts are closed, the voltage on Circuits 614 and 623 would be high (at least battery voltage). A short across the normally open contacts of the rear air bag sensor and bracket. (4) Vehicle charging system voltage too high. If the alternator output voltage is too high (greater than 17 volts) it may cause a Code 22 to occur. CHARGING SYSTEM VOLTAGE at Pin 11: @ 9.0 Volts is 2. 3 volts @ Pin 11; @ 9.5 - 2.4; @ 10.0 - 2.5; @ 10.5 - 2.7; @ 11.0 - 2.8; @ 11.5 - 3.0; @ 12.0 - 3.0; @ 12.5 - 3.3; @ 13.0 - 3.4; @ 13.5 - 3.5; @ 14.0 - 3.7; @ 14.5 - 3.8; @ 15.0 - 4.0; @ 15.5 - 14.1; @ 16.0 - 4.3. Pin 12 is same voltages. 94-96 Wiring Diagram by Ford via Steve83. 22-1 TEST SYSTEM Key to RUN. Count diagnostic trouble code. Is Code 22 flashing? Yes GO to 22-2. No READ the normal operation description for this code. EXAMINE the code schematic and LOOK for areas where intermittent conditions would occur (connectors, splices, crimps, etc.) DO NOT PROCEED with pinpoint test until the code is flashing. Failure to do so will result in needless replacement of the air bag diagnostic monitor and repeat service. 22-2 MEASURE VOLTAGE; Deactivate system. I deact for 30 mins; ensure that no ADD-ON electrical devices are in operatio, esp those w/batteries, large Capacitors, etc. Key to RUN. Measure voltage on Pin 11, Circuit 614 (GY/O) to Pin 3 (ground). Note: Use voltage table for normal voltage specifications. Voltage should be within 0.5 volts. Is the voltage greater than normal? Yes GO to 22-3. No REPLACE air bag diagnostic monitor. RECONNECT system. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system. 22-3 CHECK FOR WIRE SHORTS; Key OFF. Disconnect air bag diagnostic monitor. Disconnect rear air bag sensor and bracket. Set ohmmeter to 200,000-ohm scale or AUTO. Measure resistance at air bag diagnostic monitor connector: Between Pin 15, Circuit 611 (W/O) and Pin 11, Circuit 614 (GY/O). Between Pin 23, Circuit 612 (P/O) and Pin 11, Circuit 614 (GY/O). Between Pin 15, Circuit 611 (W/O) and Pin 12, Circuit 623 (P/W). Between Pin 23, Circuit 612 (P/O) and Pin 12, Circuit 623 (P/W). Are all resistance readings infinite (open)? Yes GO to 22-4. No LOCATE and SERVICE short between Circuit 611 (W/O) or Circuit 612 (P/O) and Circuit 614 (GY/O), or between Circuit 611 (W/O) or Circuit 612 (P/O) and Circuit 623 (P/W). RECONNECT system. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system. 22-4 MEASURE RESISTANCE Set ohmmeter to 200,000-ohm scale or AUTO. Check for resistance across rear air bag sensor and bracket contacts. Is resistance reading infinite (open)? Yes LOCATE and SERVICE short to battery voltage on Circuit 614 (GY/O), 615 (GY/W), or 623 (P/W). RECONNECT system. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system. No REPLACE rear air bag sensor and bracket. RECONNECT system. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system.
Source: by Ford via miesk5 at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...73#post2691773

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
moosey42

That's the answer I needed. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!