UTI vs. Wyotech is one better than the other? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
c-dub
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 96 xlt 5.8 (blk) e40d
UTI vs. Wyotech vs. ohio tech, is one better than the other?

thinking of looking into one of these or maybe aviation mech schools, just wanted to shake the tree.

black 96 5.8 xlt sport, e40d, edelbrock intake, bassani y-pipe, bilstien shocks, 32"bfg's
azure blue 03 mach1 4.6 dohc

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Last edited by c-dub; 11-04-2011 at 02:28 PM.
c-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Jasonhughes2009
I scrape on both sides

Bronco Info: another rig that runs on crapoline
i checked out both and decided to go to UTI

they had a lot more professional feeling to them and they had dealership sponsored programs that offer all the latest vehicles and technologies in the cars par the program your go into after the core program (should you chose to go into a dealership program)

wyotech had a really laid back, cheap feeling to it, and they had a lot more older looking cars in there shops, many from 90's and early 2000's but virtually nothing newer than an 05

also sat in on a few lectures and it felt a lot more prioritized towards teaching as fast as they could and getting you out, where as UTI (which is taught at an accelerated pace), feels like (and i have done it several times so i know its a fact) any instructor there will gladly take time out of there day to help explain something to you if you dont understand it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyroc14 View Post
If only I could have 6 of his 32 inches!
Jasonhughes2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
fatoldman
Banned

Bronco Info: Gas mileage was horrible. Sold bronco & bought a prius.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
thinking of looking into one of these or maybe aviation mech schools, just wanted to shake the tree.
Neither one are worth the money. You can learn enough at a community college to get ase certified and get a job. That's when the real education starts, when you start gettin' paid for it.
fatoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
JD_Bronco
Designated Tranny Killer

Bronco Info: Sold--'89 FSB, 2" lift, lots 'o' lights, custom bumpers, exhaust, intake, stereo, other stuff
One of my best friends went to Wyotech. He went for diesel tech and loved it. He got hired at penske right after he graduated and now moved over to Penn Detroit Diesel
JD_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
88LiftdBronco

Bronco Info: 1988 Ford Bronco Custom, 300 4.9L, ZF5 Manual, 6" Rough Country Lift, 35" BFG KM2's
Personal preference really. I'm starting at Wyotech in January.

I looked into both schools and also had the representatives from both schools talk to me. UTI was slacking big time (in my eyes) when they gave me the info about the school and then Wyotech came along and showed me their courses and the the companies theyre associated with.

Also, I talked to several graduates from both schools and the ones from UTI couldn't find a job, but my friend Damen from Wyotech has a damn good job with Ford right now. Like I said though, personal preference and what you make of it....

Quote:
They're like the Chuck Norris of engines.
88LiftdBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
GetBent4x4
Read the meme

Bronco Info: Brick Nose on 15x10s/32s with leveling coils
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
Both are overpriced and a waste of money. Job experience is what counts, these schools do not get you any farther than the guy with general automotive knowledge who is applying for a general labor job (low hourly paid basic labor) in a shop/dealer.

I remember your other threads on employment, you don't want to get into automotive unless you are going to own your own shop or auto auction house. The average pay keeps falling every year for technicians.
GetBent4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
infidel96

Bronco Info: 1996 5.0 5 speed on 33 12.50s
had a guy from both come to my school. The UTI rep focused his presentation on what you can learn, they got more new vehicles there. the wyotec guy focused on the skiing being 30 mins away at the wyoming campus.
infidel96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
88LiftdBronco

Bronco Info: 1988 Ford Bronco Custom, 300 4.9L, ZF5 Manual, 6" Rough Country Lift, 35" BFG KM2's
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel96 View Post
had a guy from both come to my school. The UTI rep focused his presentation on what you can learn, they got more new vehicles there. the wyotec guy focused on the skiing being 30 mins away at the wyoming campus.
The opposite happened in my case... the UTI rep talked about the beach and the convention center and stupid chit like that

Quote:
They're like the Chuck Norris of engines.
88LiftdBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Jasonhughes2009
I scrape on both sides

Bronco Info: another rig that runs on crapoline
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldman View Post
Neither one are worth the money. You can learn enough at a community college to get ase certified and get a job. That's when the real education starts, when you start gettin' paid for it.
I tried this route first. All the vehicles used were complete crap, outdated from the 90s. There was actually a really nice 97f350 dually there The instructors were crappy. It took way to long to learn how to do a transmission and was overall a complete waste of time. Just my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyroc14 View Post
If only I could have 6 of his 32 inches!
Jasonhughes2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
sr71mopar

Bronco Info: Replaced by an F100
I don't think one is a whole lot better than the other. The schools are good and all, but it seems like they don't teach what it's like in most real shops. For example, tuning up a Series 60 on an engine stand is a whole lot different than when it's installed in a bus.
Most fleet shops don't have every special tool for every job, but some mechanics can get it done right anyway. Some can't. Certain things just can not be taught.

I wish someone would just bring me engines to rebuild. I haven't found that shop yet. I have to pull them myself and then put them back in when I'm done.

That being said, the Sac UTI is trying to find jobs for its alumni. I've hired 2 in as many months.
sr71mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
rhauf
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 82 bronco 408w 4" lift 35's, 88 bronco 351w all stock on 31s
I have a friend who works as a recruiter for UTI.. before that he worked as a recruiter for wyotech. i dont remember which he said was better. i think they are about the same.

i do however remember clearly when he told me (about wyotech when he was working there) "oh its a total rip off, i wouldn't recommend you go there. of course that's not what i tell potential recruits haha"

Check out my youtube page. Many bronco videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rhauf1
rhauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
JScatt
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 351W, 2.5 R/C Lift,4.10's..much more to come
Jesse James went to Wyo Tech and he laid Sandra Bullock....nuf said

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.
JScatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
boostedpgt

Bronco Info: 92 eddie bauer
i have worked with some guys that have came from both. IMO it looks like the schools are just a waste of money, everyone i know that went to one is a complete idiot. none of them know what they were doing at all. the only reason to even think about going to one is it is a tad easier to get a job when you get out.
boostedpgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
Elway

Bronco Info: 1987 Eddie, 302, F-250 Front Bench Seat, Explorer 3rd Row
If you are having trouble with a UTI, I think they recommend Cranberry Juice.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Bronco Info: 2006 Kia Spectra
they are both diploma mills. nothing more. go a community college and get your education there, put the money saved in the bank for later use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco" John Galt View Post
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis
TheUnforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #16
Smok3y
FSB's Dirty Jersian

Bronco Info: 89 Eddie Bauer + 79 F250 Ranger Lariat
There are pros and cons to everything. Personally I would go to UTI. 90% of nascar mechanics and pit crew are UTI graduates, that says something for quality of education.

Here in S.Jersey one of our community colleges is ranked #3 in toyota programs, and has an all around well taught mechanics course. That can't be said for everywhere so it's something that you will have to put the time into researching. I would say community college is something I would aim for first. I would google "<County> Community College Auto Mechanics" - you are bound to get at least a few people that chime in and say whether it was worth the money or not.

My auto tech teacher in highschool said he had many many many students that took the auto tech program and went to both schools and applied it there. He said general consensus is WyoTech is a better auto body school, while UTI definitely has a better automotive repair program.

89 Eddie Bauer - 6" RC Lift, 35" KO's, 302/c6 swap, Ford 9"
79 F250 Ranger Lariat - 9" Lift, 40" Ground Hawgs, 400/435/205, D60/D70 LOCKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue
All I want people to do is STOP, THINK, and SEARCH. Only post if those three fail after thoroughly repeating.
Smok3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #17
dan76

Bronco Info: Stock, low mileage, 5.0, 1989 with manual trans
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
they are both diploma mills. nothing more. go a community college and get your education there, put the money saved in the bank for later use.
like tools. That said many community colleges offer top notch automotive training and some do not.

SSgt Ray Rangel, USAF
SrA Elizabeth Loncki, USAF
PFC Adam Harris, USA
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #18
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Bronco Info: 2006 Kia Spectra
personally, i wouldn't go into the automotive field. it's cut-throat and dying. really hard to make money unless you get fed gravy work, or you own the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco" John Galt View Post
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis
TheUnforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #19
c-dub
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 96 xlt 5.8 (blk) e40d
what do you guys know/think about ohio technical college? guy came i today said the program was better than wyo and uti? and you could get your associates also. may be a better option to pick up another trade skill and work towrdes a Bachelors?

black 96 5.8 xlt sport, e40d, edelbrock intake, bassani y-pipe, bilstien shocks, 32"bfg's
azure blue 03 mach1 4.6 dohc

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
c-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #20
jopes
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScatt View Post
Jesse James went to Wyo Tech and he laid Sandra Bullock....nuf said

Jessi Combs went to Wyotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
personally, i wouldn't go into the automotive field. it's cut-throat and dying. really hard to make money unless you get fed gravy work, or you own the place.

flat rate shit sucks.

Get into Heavy Equipment. The money that can be made is insane.

Let's Go Fishing.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Other Forums > Anything Else