ford PWM(pulse width modulation) fan controller info needed. - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
magnumpi
Wrenching for a Livin'

Bronco Info: '85 Ford Bronco XLT.
ford PWM(pulse width modulation) fan controller info needed.

I got a fan control module from an 06-11 crown vic for free.
these crown vics use a variable speed fan(not that good of one) and a "module"(what i have) to control it. The module has a fuse 40amp power wire, a large ground, and a signal wire going to it and the fan plugs into the other side of it. I plan on using it to run my Linclon Mark VIII fan...

From fords PC/ED crown vic book:

Fan Control
The PCM monitors certain parameters (such as engine coolant temperature, vehicle speed, A/C on/off status, A/C pressure) to determine engine cooling fan needs.

For variable speed electric fan(s):

The PCM controls the fan speed and operation using a duty cycle output on the fan control variable (FCV) circuit. The fan controller (located at or integral to the engine cooling fan assembly) receives the FCV command and operates the cooling fan at the speed requested (by varying the power applied to the fan motor).

EDGE/MKX, FLEX, MKS, MKT, TAURUS, FUSION/MILAN/MKZ, CROWN VICTORIA/GRAND MARQUIS, TOWN CAR: FCV DUTY CYCLE OUTPUT FROM PCM (negative duty cycle)

This guy on youtube provides some good info about it too:
http://youtu.be/kfwBN-U9KVg

Looks like the controller turns the fan on a certian percentage by using a "duty cycle" ground to the control wire that uses pulse with modulation to literally pulse a ground signal to it...The faster the pulse, the faster the fan goes.

I can wire in the rest of it....just power and ground, not even a relay using this setup, and the fan is never SHOCK on to full power.

My question is where do i get something to make a ground pulse to the module, that is adjustable, or better yet, one that will increase the pusles from a temp sensor and the temp goes up?

Found this:
http://www.virtualvillage.com/12-40v..._shopping_feed
But Im not really sure how to wire it up. Looks like it has a power and ground that is suppose to go to the motor. Would it pulse power or ground?
This could be a CHEAP high quality fan controller that doesn't need to be monitored or turned on/off for any fan, if I can figure out how to controll it correctly.

Any help would be greatly apperciated. I am a professional mechanic, and good with electrical, but definitly not an electronics expert
Welded 14 bolt, HPKingpin D60 w/ lockright, ZF5, NP205, 4.88 gears, SMPFI 393 w/ EDIS(gufx strat), Chevy 52s Front, Inboarded Chevy 63s Rear, DOM heim steering, DOM cage, Saginaw pump, 3/8" fuel system, 200amp 3G Alternator....

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck Technician
magnumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Fireguy50
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Bronco Info: rusty
You will want the fan speed to increase as the coolant temp increases
This is the best fan controler IMO, might want to take a look if the costs on this one start adding up
http://www.dccontrol.com/fancontrol.htm

Fuel Injection Technical Library
Parts replacement is not auto repair, if you canít diagnose, donít open the hood!
Fireguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
magnumpi
Wrenching for a Livin'

I almost bought one of thier controllers a few months back. When i tried to buy it, their site was down...or so I thought. After some googling i got to the website, but before I ordered I did some reading about how they quit taking orders at one point and were kind of slow to ship. I sent them multiple emails, just asking a few questions about the controllers and what the lead time was....and got no answer. Not saying i would never buy from them...it just made me explore other options first
Welded 14 bolt, HPKingpin D60 w/ lockright, ZF5, NP205, 4.88 gears, SMPFI 393 w/ EDIS(gufx strat), Chevy 52s Front, Inboarded Chevy 63s Rear, DOM heim steering, DOM cage, Saginaw pump, 3/8" fuel system, 200amp 3G Alternator....

Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
magnumpi
Wrenching for a Livin'

bump....anyone?

Not just specific info on this module, but how i can get a pwm unit hooked up to it to run it

Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
r-clar

Bronco Info: 78 bronco
Do you want it to run with the pwm functioning or could you use a setup like on the focus that has a resistor to operate the fan on a low speed and no resistor for high speed operation?
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
magnumpi
Wrenching for a Livin'

I would like to use the pulse width function for the softer start. The mark 8 fan can pull something lik 60 amps when it first spins up. Plus having an adjustable fan speed control would. Be nice to help maintain steady temps

Old 11-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
r-clar

Painless has one if your looking to buy something.
http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...rchField=30141
Old 11-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
magnumpi
Wrenching for a Livin'

Theres is not suppose to be used with the mark 8 fan. Its reliability is also not the greatest.

I've got this controller at no cost and want to see how much it would cost and how hard it would be to make it work

Old 11-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #9
r-clar

Sorry but I dont know of any other ways to control. to use the crown vic control maybe some kind of homemade pwm signal generator? That would be hard to have a set temp control.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
pfun41

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Quote:
For variable speed electric fan(s):

The PCM controls the fan speed and operation using a duty cycle output on the fan control variable (FCV) circuit. The fan controller (located at or integral to the engine cooling fan assembly) receives the FCV command and operates the cooling fan at the speed requested (by varying the power applied to the fan motor).
Maybe if you make a PWM circuit.
My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
pfun41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
magnumpi
Wrenching for a Livin'

Thats what I figured I would have to do. Just looking for some info on how to do it, what to do exactly and where to buy parts.

Even if it isn't controlled by temperature, It would be worth it to me for the variable control and "soft" start by running it at a lower duty cycle(proloning the life of the dc motor)

I guess i should try posting this a few other places.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
Poorboyz

Bronco Info: 1996 EB Eddie Bauer stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfun41 View Post
Maybe if you make a PWM circuit.

Why go through the trouble of making one? It will take a lot of time to R&D and test it and by the time you do end up having one you will spend more than if you would by just buying one. I have a Mark VIII fan on a FAL controller and it runs flawless. I looked into the DCC as well...but I needed a controller in a 2-3 week time frame and DCC could not deliver that. In my opinion DCC and FAL are good controllers.
Poorboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #13
magnumpi
Wrenching for a Livin'

from what i have been reading, making a controller is pretty cheap and easy...think im going to do it.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #14
Booba5185

Bronco Info: 89 F150...close to a Bronco?
If you do, PLEASE post a write up, I'd be really interested in it, and might end up making my own.
89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4 Longbed, 3.55 LS 80,XXX Original Miles, GT40Ps, Roller, MAF, Custom Y-pipe, Mustang headers, 3g Alt, Big 3+ Upgrade, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Sixlitre Tune-up, Explorer Injectors, Remote mounted ICM, Insulated Intake tubing\Filter Box Mod, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 MC\Booster\Rear clyinders, Autopage Remote Start, 9007 conversion, so much more.
Booba5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #15
magnumpi
Wrenching for a Livin'

http://www.dprg.org/tutorials/2005-11a/index.html

Good info here from a thread i started at eectuning:
http://eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19059

If i get some time over the holiday im gonna see if the local ratshack has what i need to make one on a bread board to test. Also need to get a connector for the car end of the module.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech