9" Rear axle swap - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Awningvic4

Bronco Info: 1994 351W 4 " Lift ARB front air locker detroit rear locker upgrading to a 9" rearend.
Post 9" Rear axle swap

When swapping from 8.8 to a 9 " Swap what has to be done besides the vss conversion kit. Do you have to have the driveshaft cut.? do I have to get a new yoke? I have used search and could not find anything on 9" swaps.
Awningvic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
jopes
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
1st off, please do not post questions like this in the build forum. it is not where they go.

2nd, others have said the driveline will fit without issues, but with a lift and all it is too hard to tell without swapping the axle in.

3rd, why a nine? Not much stronger than your 8.8 is in factory form.

Let's Go Fishing.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Awningvic4

Bronco Info: 1994 351W 4 " Lift ARB front air locker detroit rear locker upgrading to a 9" rearend.
Thumbs up Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes View Post
1st off, please do not post questions like this in the build forum. it is not where they go.

2nd, others have said the driveline will fit without issues, but with a lift and all it is too hard to tell without swapping the axle in.

3rd, why a nine? Not much stronger than your 8.8 is in factory form.
1st off Sorry ( im an idiot )

2nd Ill have to swap it then ill see

3rd I have a locker for the 9" and the gears, also I dont like the idea of a cclip if an axle breaks bye bye axle and tire.

Thank you for your reply
Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
You can break anything, and certainly a 9". This one is under a Bronco that weighs ~2/3 what yours does, and the entire tube broke.

. .

The heaviest 9" was rated for ~3300#; the weakest 8.8" solid was rated for ~3000#, but ours are ~3800# in stock form. With a couple of upgrades using stock parts, you can get well into the 4K range. Do a few searches & see how many threads you find about "my weak 8.8" axle broke and my wheel came off!" I don't remember any, but maybe I missed them. If you find one, see how that truck compares to yours (engine, trans, t-case, d'shaft, gears, tires, & how it was being used). I've torn up my share of axles, and I've never lost a wheel. The LocalMotors Flypmode currently being developed w/DARPA uses a ~600hp engine and an 8.8" w/TracLok (exactly what's in many Broncos).

But if you're dead-set on this, read this thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=300588

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
BRONCONUT
Local # 40 Boilermakers

Bronco Info: being raped by my wrenches and welder
So whats your plan to get your vss signial?

My Stupidmotors
BRONCONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Awningvic4

Vss signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONCONUT View Post
So whats your plan to get your vss signial?
Southwest performance has a kit which relocthing the vss to the front of the drive shaft where the transfer case is. Here is the link.http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/v...php?f=15&t=997
Leduc has one as well but you have to send the adapter plate to him and it is the same price as this one from the link but you dont have to send anything to him.

Also it is funny some people say the 9" is the best thing out there then there are people who say the 8.8 is just as strong. This is going to be a built 9" not in stock form. Just like the C6 some people love it some people hate it. Is it personal preference ?

Last edited by Awningvic4; 12-29-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Added Thoughts
Old 12-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
FSBNUT

Bronco Info: 1986 XLT 5.0 auto
Trevor12 just put one in his last week.

He'll probably have an answer to most of your questions.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=199480
FSBNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Awningvic4

They have not done it yet just talked about getting something machined and cut some teeth in it this kit is way better
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/v...php?f=15&t=997
Old 12-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Seattle FSB
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1990 EB FSB, MAF, 6.7L, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 4.56, 33" on 15x10 Alcoa's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awningvic4 View Post
Also it is funny some people say the 9" is the best thing out there then there are people who say the 8.8 is just as strong. This is going to be a built 9" not in stock form. Just like the C6 some people love it some people hate it. Is it personal preference ?

The Ford 9" can be made very strong delivering a lighter weight axle having higher ground clearance and good on-road manners. Currie states that the 9" would be better for high speed off-road and jumping, such as seen in Desert Racing. Keep in mind that Jopes is correct regarding strength issues in factory form, but this depends upon your application.

Regarding the VSS, I have a 1990 with a mechanical speedometer which only requires the differential VSS for RABS, which I eliminated. I did consider the Brea Auto Electric Transfer Case Yoke Mounted Speed Sensor, but after consulting with them I could not be assured that the signal works with RABS.

On a side note, I did consider a High Pinion Third Member but Currie claims a 20% loss in gearset strength due to the reverse rotation design, as they are intended for front axle use. Not that people do not use them in the rear, just with a significant loss of gearset strength. To reinforce this point, Currie recommends that only tires up 35" be used when installing a High Pinion in the rear.

I have concluded that a 9" rear end would fulfill my needs and that I could make a 9" nearly as strong as a D60 or 14 Bolt. The personal question is cost vs need. Admittedly, my needs have been met, but at a cost. At the same time, I have been having fun with this build and I think this Currie 9" may be stronger than I will ever require. With the Nodular Case, V-Welded Tubes and Full Back Brace, there should be minimal deflection. And the 9+ Race Third Member components should be as strong as you can get, not to mention the Performance 35 Spline Axles which are 1541 Alloy, 1.5" diameter, 400% stronger than stock and rated up to 1200 HP.

BTW, my driveshaft fit just fine. The Currie has 1350 Yoke so I used a Hybrid 1350/1330 U-Joint to complete the connection. See the Currie F9+ link in my signature.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awningvic4 View Post
Is it personal preference ?
Not really; the 8.8" is stronger, prefer it or not. It's a newer design with a thicker pinion gear shaft and more distance between the pinion bearings, which is why it doesn't need the 3rd one. The carrier & housing are more rigid, which is why Ford rates the 8.8" for MUCH more capacity than the 9". The 8.8" was even used under the Expedition. So you can spend a LOT of money and build a 9" that's stronger than stock, but you can spend a lot LESS on an 8.8" and get the same or more strength, and keep the ABS sensor protected inside, where the gearset doesn't affect it. Putting on the driveshaft will make it spin too fast for the PSOM & ABS to use.

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
Smok3y
FSB's Dirty Jersian

Bronco Info: 89 EB, 91 Silver Anniv, 91 F250, 79 F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Not really; the 8.8" is stronger, prefer it or not.
I completely disagree but this has been an ongoing topic forever around here. I'm not going into that right now.

Ok first off the 8.8 is a flange, the 9" is a yoke so you will need to convert the 9" to a flange style or use yokes on your driveshaft.

2nd, obviously is the VSS - Some VSS units run off of the side of the axle (by the hubs and brakes) others run off of the tcase which is what I recommend you use. If you go offroading in mud and gunk there is a high possibility that VSS can get ripped off. Call to california prefun, southwest performance, or brea auto electric, find one that runs off the tcase. I know for a fact brea auto electric does.

Also, the 9" fits perfectly. It is slightly slightly shorter, but not enough to really make a difference. Only by an inch or two. Just keep that in mind if you are planning on lifting over 6".

Other than that, quick bolt up. The leaf spring perches and u-bolts match up so it's a quick swap under

89 Eddie Bauer - 6" RC Lift, 35" KO's, 302/c6 swap, Ford 9"
79 F250 Ranger Lariat - 9" Lift, 40" Ground Hawgs, 400/435/205, D60/D70 LOCKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue
All I want people to do is STOP, THINK, and SEARCH. Only post if those three fail after thoroughly repeating.
Smok3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
alaskan155

Bronco Info: 1988 BRONCO 5.0/AOD axle code H5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smok3y View Post
I completely disagree but this has been an ongoing topic forever around here. I'm not going into that right now.

Ok first off the 8.8 is a flange, the 9" is a yoke so you will need to convert the 9" to a flange style or use yokes on your driveshaft.

2nd, obviously is the VSS - Some VSS units run off of the side of the axle (by the hubs and brakes) others run off of the tcase which is what I recommend you use. If you go offroading in mud and gunk there is a high possibility that VSS can get ripped off. Call to california prefun, southwest performance, or brea auto electric, find one that runs off the tcase. I know for a fact brea auto electric does.

Also, the 9" fits perfectly. It is slightly slightly shorter, but not enough to really make a difference. Only by an inch or two. Just keep that in mind if you are planning on lifting over 6".

Other than that, quick bolt up. The leaf spring perches and u-bolts match up so it's a quick swap under
1. 88 or 89 was the change over, my 88 has a yoke on the 8.8,

2nd, his is a 94, so the vss is used for abs and the speedometer, not sure on the output, but the t-case on the 87-91 have a vss on the speed cable, so he could swap in a cable driven 87-91 speedo/try to use the vss of the t-case and loose abs.(should just be rabs, but 94 had the option of 4wabs i believe)

3rd.
pros.
removable 3rd member and no reling on c-clips in the woods, and i believe it has more aftermarket support than an 8.8, and retains the factory bolt pattern.

on the other hand the 8.8 has been used up to the current f150(atleast the 2009 model) with the 4.2l v6(210hp) and 4.6l, before ford felt the need to up it to 9.75 for the 5.4, so ford must have put more trust into it, than the stock 9inch

i dont care either way, im going 10.25 when mine dies/or after the wedding when i start my SAS(no date set)
just sayin

88 Bronco(sold)
new trail rig
2000 ranger
4.0/5r55e/bw 4.10 gears 35 mt/rs
alaskan155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
Smok3y
FSB's Dirty Jersian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan155 View Post

2nd, his is a 94, so the vss is used for abs and the speedometer, not sure on the output, but the t-case on the 87-91 have a vss on the speed cable, so he could swap in a cable driven 87-91 speedo/try to use the vss of the t-case and loose abs.(should just be rabs, but 94 had the option of 4wabs i believe)
Really? My 89 was a flange. Not saying you are lying, just weird. Are you sure they all swapped over that year?

Also, I'm unsure of the swap over with using VSS from a 87-91 to control the PSOM/Cruise/E4OD. I'm not saying it won't work, but I think the cable vss won't be sufficient enough to use w/ E4OD transmissions. I think they need the electronic VSS with the ring gear and sensor. You would have to change a ton of chit out in order to use the cable driven one I'm pretty sure.

Quote:
All I want people to do is STOP, THINK, and SEARCH. Only post if those three fail after thoroughly repeating.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
alaskan155

Bronco Info: 1988 BRONCO 5.0/AOD axle code H5
Quote:
Really? My 89 was a flange. Not saying you are lying, just weird. Are you sure they all swapped over that year?

Also, I'm unsure of the swap over with using VSS from a 87-91 to control the PSOM/Cruise/E4OD. I'm not saying it won't work, but I think the cable vss won't be sufficient enough to use w/ E4OD transmissions. I think they need the electronic VSS with the ring gear and sensor. You would have to change a ton of chit out in order to use the cable driven one I'm pretty sure.
yup, ford did the same thing for the rangers, wish mine was a flange, but mine is an early 88, with 8.8 and yoke.

and the 90-91s got the e40d, the cruise might not work though, as i think 94 or 95 went to electronic, but like i said i dont know what the pulse width is on the vss on the t-case is or weather or not it matches the rear vss, i know atleast for the 87-91 the vss in the axle was just used for the RABS/the one it the t-case was for the ECM, but it be something to look into.

and ive seen the 92-96 speedo swapped into a older bronco gauge cluster(think steve83 did it), so i dont see why it would be hard to swap in a cluster from a 89(the fuel sender ohms changed)-91 cluster in a 92-96, or just the speedo it self,

but hey, the op might want to keep his digital speedo, ABS, and electronic cruise, was just giving an alternative to the aftermarket vss

88 Bronco(sold)
new trail rig
2000 ranger
4.0/5r55e/bw 4.10 gears 35 mt/rs
alaskan155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
Awningvic4

Smile

Quote:

Finally someone on here to help instead of talk me down like I am a dumb***
Yeah im getting the vss from southwest performance he is still three weeks out on getting the magnets. I knew about the flange to yoke which isnt to bad. I am just glad I should not have to do to much to the driveshaft.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #16
Smok3y
FSB's Dirty Jersian

Glad I could be of some help. Post up in here if you need anything else. And just ignore the jabs. The guys on here are a tough crowd to get used to, but trust me, you get some thicker skin and it's well worth it to stay here. The information and people on this forum are great and invaluable. Also, not sure where in Cali you are, but I would get acquainted with the west coast guys. Probably some of the best and closest fella's on this forum. Just search around, and have fun.

Good Luck Bud.

Quote:
Old 12-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
Fireguy50
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Bronco Info: rusty
9in is much cheaper and stronger. Nodular case and back brace for the win

Fuel Injection Technical Library
Parts replacement is not auto repair, if you canít diagnose, donít open the hood!
Fireguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
TS 90F150

Bronco Info: 1990 F150, 5.8 w/GT40X heads, Lightning intake, E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan155

Quote:

My 90 had the yoke and not the flange. All the trucks I have seen of this era had a yoke unless equipped with the E4OD. Your experiences may differ.

I swapped an E4OD into my 1990 truck from an AOD. I used a factory wiring harness from a 1991. I used the same speedometer cable and transfercase mounted VSS that the truck came with. (the factory used the transfer case mounted VSS on 1989-1991 E4OD equipped trucks).

My engine and transmission are controlled by a factory 1993 Lightning computer. The lightning computer would have originally used a VSS from the rear end and had a PSOM. Just food for thought.

tim
TS 90F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #19
Fireguy50
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Bronco Info: rusty

Fuel Injection Technical Library
Parts replacement is not auto repair, if you canít diagnose, donít open the hood!
Fireguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!