Is there really an advantage to dual front shocks - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
basssque
Registered User
 
basssque's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 203
iTrader: (1)
Bronco Info: 92 Bronco Custom, 5.5" Lift (all Spring), BDS Ext. Radius Arms, Superrunner Steering
Is there really an advantage to dual front shocks

Can anyone explain the real differences (advantages and disadvantages) to running dual front shocks opposed to single front shocks on a FSB?

The front/front shocks on my 92 FSB just seem to get in the way. They bump the springs, and I can't do a TRE flip with the superrunner steering because the lower front/front shock mounts are in the way with the wheel turned all the way when articulated.

I really want to eliminate the front/front shocks and lower bracket but would like to know what purpose they serve before doing so. I currently run all doetsch shocks from broncograveyard with a 5.5" superflex lift.
basssque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
zippome
Fullsize Member
 
zippome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 2,876
iTrader: (1)
Bronco Info: 88 eddie bauer, 5.8, 351w, 35" tires, k&n cai, full custom 3" exhaust, 4" SAS
i only use one front shock and i don't notice any difference.
__________________
My SAS build thread.
zippome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Jasonhughes2009
I scrape on both sides
 
Jasonhughes2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: lagunitas tap room
Posts: 3,030
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: another rig that runs on crapoline
dual shocks only seem to be more advantageous for towing.... other than that... i only put them on because my lift system came with them
__________________
1991, fresh 5.0, OBA, 6 inch lift, 9 inch rear, 5.13s. detroit rear aussie front, 37" pitbull rockers, beadlocks. e4od

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyroc14 View Post
If only I could have 6 of his 32 inches!
Jasonhughes2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
broncomine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: where ever
Posts: 252
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: looking to trade for chv or dodge NOT
maybe articulation,you get more with 1 shock than you do with 2 shocks? seems logical
broncomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
mickaila
not banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sun Diego, CA
Posts: 5,596
iTrader: (10)
Bronco Info: 82 XLT Lariat, 351W, C6, NP208, 4.56:1, 37x13.5s, all sheet metal replaced
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...l+front+shocks
__________________
Where we go one, we go all.
Mickaila's Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwagon View Post
I guess most of our members are just WEB WHEELERs and dont need public land?
mickaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
garthneddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 1980 f150, 302 zf5 np205 sterling 10.25 dana 50
On my old f150 the front shocks would actually reduce articulation because as the beams drooped they would get pressed against the coil spring and prevent any more travel
garthneddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Shadofax
Owned 18yrs, now for 20
 
Shadofax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: where havn't I lived? Now in Erie, CO
Posts: 16,878
iTrader: (16)
Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,37" MTR Kevlar, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basssque View Post
Can anyone explain the real differences (advantages and disadvantages) to running dual front shocks opposed to single front shocks on a FSB?

The front/front shocks on my 92 FSB just seem to get in the way. They bump the springs, and I can't do a TRE flip with the superrunner steering because the lower front/front shock mounts are in the way with the wheel turned all the way when articulated.

I really want to eliminate the front/front shocks and lower bracket but would like to know what purpose they serve before doing so. I currently run all doetsch shocks from broncograveyard with a 5.5" superflex lift.
You can remove them. If you then feel the single shock is not controlling your coil enough you can always look for an upgraded shock like a bilstein or a rancho 9k that you can adjust the valving on.
__________________
______________________
Click my supermotors link for tech on TCase, SAS, OBA, Soft Top, Overhead Console, Stock bumper Winch install, much more..:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628



Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Steve83
Registered User
 
Steve83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 36,885
iTrader: (101)
Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
The purpose of a shock is to slow the spring's rebound (pushing DOWN, raising the vehicle). 2 shocks per wheel will cause the vehicle to ride slighly lower while crossing stretches of large bumps than it would with single or no shocks. The effect is that the tire stays in contact with the ground slightly more, giving you more steering & braking control.

Stock quad front shocks have no impact on towing capacity or wheel travel/articulation. Once you mess with the suspension, who knows...
__________________
Walk softly & carry a BIG SIX ! ! !

. .
Steve83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Anthracis
Registered User
 
Anthracis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 416
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco XLT: 5.8L
I have quad Rancho rs5000s right now. I'm switching to single Bilstein 5165s in the front. and 5150s in the rear. I just got them and will be installing them here real soOn. I will do another tech article and let u guys know how it is comPared to the quad front setup.
Anthracis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #10
boostedpgt
Registered User
 
boostedpgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 741
iTrader: (4)
Bronco Info: 92 eddie bauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
The purpose of a shock is to slow the spring's rebound (pushing DOWN, raising the vehicle). 2 shocks per wheel will cause the vehicle to ride slighly lower while crossing stretches of large bumps than it would with single or no shocks. The effect is that the tire stays in contact with the ground slightly more, giving you more steering & braking control.
that is just wrong. shocks control compression and rebound. without shocks, the wheels will just violently shoot up into the wheel wells every time you hit a bump then violently rebound.
__________________
92 bronco: crap ton of mods
2012 corvette grand sport: exhaust and tune 417whp, 411wtq
2013 axis A20: stock
boostedpgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
78bronco460
press ALT+F4
 
78bronco460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: PDX vicinity
Posts: 4,408
iTrader: (2)
Bronco Info: '78 Bronco with motor, axles and stuff
If you ever drove on a washboard gravel road for many miles you would see the difference in how long before your hands go numb. The dual shocks seem to do better with smoothing out the ride over a distance, and i believe it's got to do with how hot the shocks get when there's two working on each side opposed to one.
__________________
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:13 AM   #12
79F150
Dictator/Tyrant
 
79F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Dallas Ga
Posts: 16,325
iTrader: (6)
Bronco Info: 1979 F-150 400/NP 435/NP 205/D60/10.25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bronco460 View Post
If you ever drove on a washboard gravel road for many miles you would see the difference in how long before your hands go numb. The dual shocks seem to do better with smoothing out the ride over a distance, and i believe it's got to do with how hot the shocks get when there's two working on each side opposed to one.
Your exactly right as the oil in them heats it thins allowing shock travel at a slightly quicker rate. Two will split the load. Changing the set up on the valving of your shocks can help that as well if it is an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedpgt
that is just wrong. shocks control compression and rebound. without shocks, the wheels will just violently shoot up into the wheel wells every time you hit a bump then violently rebound.
I think what Steve has failed to mention he is referring to gas shocks. When you cut the banding off of them they force them self fully extended. Most of us in the 4X4 world toss those in the trash because lets face it they suck. Most of us go to something like a Procomp, Rancho, Super Lift, or what ever rebadged white shock you get with your name brand sticker. (I run them because I destroy shocks for some weird reason and performance is not bad.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Procomp
ES3000 Series Shocks
Expanded twin tube hydraulic performance shock
Cellular gas insert reduces aeration and foaming
10 stage velocity sensitive valving
Internal bump stop eliminates damage caused by overextension I know this one to be true thanks for the free bump stops
1 3/8” nylon banded piston rod
5/8” chrome hardened piston rod
Optional shock boots sold separately
Now back in my drag racing days shocks were a huge deal. We would set up the car with 90/10 shocks. We would make the car squat quick in the back and rise slow and the front we would let the front end pop up and fall slowly. This gave great weight transfer and traction off the line.

Set up for anything is key know your car and know what you want to do with it. I say if its a road queen then leave all 4. If your like me and remove your sway bars to go off road consider leaving 4 on it. It will help a little with the body roll while on the street.

Last edited by 79F150; 02-04-2012 at 04:34 AM.
79F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
88LiftdBronco
Registered User
 
88LiftdBronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Redmond, OR
Posts: 3,632
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 1988 Ford Bronco Custom, 300 4.9L, ZF5 Manual, 6" Rough Country Lift, 35" BFG KM2's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79F150 View Post
Set up for anything is key know your car and know what you want to do with it. I say if its a road queen then leave all 4. If your like me and remove your sway bars to go off road consider leaving 4 on it. It will help a little with the body roll while on the street.
No sway bars on mine and I have the quad shock set up still.. I dont even notice the body roll driving the bko. Shit, the on ramp on the way to school tightly circles from the overpass to going under where you just were.. mph sign says 20-25? I'm taking it at 30-35.. stiff RC suspension helps to keep me grounded...
__________________
1988 Ford Bronco Custom, 300 4.9L, ZF5 manual, 6" Rough Country Lift, 35" BFG KM2's

Quote:
They're like the Chuck Norris of engines.
88LiftdBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
dsgb9840
Registered User
 
dsgb9840's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ga
Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 1994 407cid 6" lift 35" BFG muds
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88LiftdBronco View Post
No sway bars on mine and I have the quad shock set up still.. I dont even notice the body roll driving the bko. Shit, the on ramp on the way to school tightly circles from the overpass to going under where you just were.. mph sign says 20-25? I'm taking it at 30-35.. stiff RC suspension helps to keep me grounded...
same here qwad shocks and no sway bars and i haven't noticed extreme body roll so, and the only reason it would limit articulation would be if u have a short front shock just depends on the stroke of the shocks u have
dsgb9840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
Shadofax
Owned 18yrs, now for 20
 
Shadofax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: where havn't I lived? Now in Erie, CO
Posts: 16,878
iTrader: (16)
Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,37" MTR Kevlar, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgb9840 View Post
same here qwad shocks and no sway bars and i haven't noticed extreme body roll so, and the only reason it would limit articulation would be if u have a short front shock just depends on the stroke of the shocks u have
The travel of the shock needs to accomodate the coils possible travel, with any limit straps or bump stops included in the equation. Most of the ttb lifted stiff coils don't have a bunch of travel here, they aren't very long and the coil rods are thicker.
__________________
______________________
Click my supermotors link for tech on TCase, SAS, OBA, Soft Top, Overhead Console, Stock bumper Winch install, much more..:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628



Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #16
adrianspeeder
USAF C-17 Avionics
 
adrianspeeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dover AFB DE / Harrisburg PA
Posts: 6,430
iTrader: (1)
Bronco Info: '94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
Ford seemed to think they were needed for the towing prep and snow plow prep packages.

Adrianspeeder
__________________
adrianspeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #17
88LiftdBronco
Registered User
 
88LiftdBronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Redmond, OR
Posts: 3,632
iTrader: (0)
Bronco Info: 1988 Ford Bronco Custom, 300 4.9L, ZF5 Manual, 6" Rough Country Lift, 35" BFG KM2's
Eh, I like how its set up... for now..
__________________
1988 Ford Bronco Custom, 300 4.9L, ZF5 manual, 6" Rough Country Lift, 35" BFG KM2's

Quote:
They're like the Chuck Norris of engines.
88LiftdBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
Shadofax
Owned 18yrs, now for 20
 
Shadofax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: where havn't I lived? Now in Erie, CO
Posts: 16,878
iTrader: (16)
Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,37" MTR Kevlar, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder View Post
Ford seemed to think they were needed for the towing prep and snow plow prep packages.

Adrianspeeder
Correct. But that's not to say that a good quality single and stiff shock can't handle this too. With towing a heavy load, when braking (assuming a trailer doesn't have brakes too), the trailer can push the bronco and cause it to nose down in front and get light in the rear, if the front suspension is soft. Added weight of a plow up front can sag the front, but also cause bouncing if the coils are old or shocks worn. dual shocks in good condition help control any front bouncing from weight as well.

Again though, going back to the question, can I remove the dual shocks, and the answer with ttb is certainly yes, given a good condition stiff ttb coil without that much travel, and not towing heavy loads or plowing. A single quality shock will work just fine.
__________________
______________________
Click my supermotors link for tech on TCase, SAS, OBA, Soft Top, Overhead Console, Stock bumper Winch install, much more..:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628



Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #19
pacrewchief
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)
Is there really an advantage to dual front shocks

I don't really know, I have triples on mine.
pacrewchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #20
CWbronco
Registered User
 
CWbronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 2,094
iTrader: (9)
Bronco Info: 95 xlt, 302, 37's, 4.56's, D44 SAS, 10.25 FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacrewchief View Post
I don't really know, I have triples on mine.
Post a pic of triples? In the front?
__________________
Build

SAS

FOTM Oct. 2012
CWbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  FSB Forums > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:10 AM.


2003-2009 FullSizeBronco.com. All rights reserved