Broncoair Dana 60 Solid Axle Swap kit - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
BoulderBronco

Bronco Info: 93 5.8L tons of stuff
Broncoair Dana 60 Solid Axle Swap kit

A little tease for you guys. This is the passenger side axle bracket. Still some work to be done but it's a little taste. Still have some engineering to do on the radius arms and other bracketry but I'm getting closer every day. Prototyping and testing is happening in the coming months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FRONT-BRACKET-RIGHT-ASSY.jpg (25.6 KB, 735 views)
BoulderBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
ToddACimer
Engineer

Bronco Info: 11 F150 CC 4x4
Looks good but the passengers side is easy with all the room on the axle tube and no diff in the way. How does the drivers side look?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
lifeizhard102205
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 EB 351W, SAS'd 44, 37" Hummvee tires, 10.25 rear, smittybilt 12k winch homemade mount
can you teach me how to do that on power point? haha. jk.....looks good though. so far.....
lifeizhard102205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
fatoldman
Banned

Bronco Info: Gas mileage was horrible. Sold bronco & bought a prius.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderBronco View Post
A little tease for you guys. This is the passenger side axle bracket. Still some work to be done but it's a little taste. Still have some engineering to do on the radius arms and other bracketry but I'm getting closer every day. Prototyping and testing is happening in the coming months.
What year d60s will it be for? The newer type radius arms will bolt up? Look pretty cool.
fatoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Probowler

Bronco Info: 1988 (dead), 1996 DD
I was just thinking about this a couple days ago. Cool to see your still working on this.

What years will this work for? I've got an 88 I'd like to turn into a trail rig that could use something like this.
Probowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
BoulderBronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddACimer View Post
Looks good but the passengers side is easy with all the room on the axle tube and no diff in the way. How does the drivers side look?
Actually the passenger side was the most difficult since I wanted to integrate a track bar bracket with adjustability. The drivers side looks very similar only without the track bar bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeizhard102205 View Post
can you teach me how to do that on power point? haha. jk.....looks good though. so far.....
I would love to know how do to this CAD work too. But that is beyond me and I don't have the years to spend learning it. I have a guy that does the CAD design for me. He's been working with one program for ten years and there are still things he's learning about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldman View Post
What year d60s will it be for? The newer type radius arms will bolt up? Look pretty cool.
Right now it's for the 86-98 60's. I have designed the passenger side to work on the 78-79 as well. But the drivers side can't be done to work on both axles due to the pumpkin. So thats something I am going to work on after the initial kit is done.
Not sure I understand your "newer type radius arms" question.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
mkiefer
FSB Vendor

Bronco Info: 89 EDDIE BAUR 77 BRONCO 4X4 94 LIGHTNING
im not allowed to see the pic.... lol
http://s257.photobucket.com/home/southwestperformance pics
mkiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
fatoldman
Banned

Quote:
Actually the passenger side was the most difficult since I wanted to integrate a track bar bracket with adjustability. The drivers side looks very similar only without the track bar bracket.

I would love to know how do to this CAD work too. But that is beyond me and I don't have the years to spend learning it. I have a guy that does the CAD design for me. He's been working with one program for ten years and there are still things he's learning about it.

Right now it's for the 86-98 60's. I have designed the passenger side to work on the 78-79 as well. But the drivers side can't be done to work on both axles due to the pumpkin. So thats something I am going to work on after the initial kit is done.
Not sure I understand your "newer type radius arms" question.
They look like they'll bolt up to the 05' current radius arms, is what I meant.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #9
rhauf
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 82 bronco 408w 4" lift 35's, 88 bronco 351w all stock on 31s
Something you might consider on this bracket, is a bump-stop landing pad/plate

Check out my youtube page. Many bronco videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rhauf1
rhauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
rogueagent6

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco, 351, E4OD, Bassani Y.
Looks good, let me know of you need another bronco for testing.

Semper Fi.
rogueagent6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
BoulderBronco

Quote:
They look like they'll bolt up to the 05' current radius arms, is what I meant.
Oh. No I don't think they will directly mount up. Those arms are not the best for articulation anyway. If I remember the bushing is in the axle bracket on those and not on the arm itself. In our radius arms the bushings will be in the arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauf View Post
Something you might consider on this bracket, is a bump-stop landing pad/plate
Considered. I still have some things to add to the brackets including some form of bump stop, shock brackets and coilover brackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueagent6 View Post
Looks good, let me know of you need another bronco for testing.
I may need one so have your 60 ready. Thanks for the offer
Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
alaskan155

Bronco Info: 1988 BRONCO 5.0/AOD axle code H5
im real interested in this,
how much do you think (ball park) this kit is going to run?
is it going to be a bolt on kit or require welding?

might have to make a trip down to boulder when you start testing and take a peek(always worth it to make a cheese cake factory run haha)r
plus i been wanting to take a look at your bumpers

88 Bronco(on back burner due to work)
worn out 5.0/AOD/BW1356man., 4.10 gears with 8.8 l/s
35s stock/ no sway bars
02 f250 cclb 7.3l 4x4(Daily driver)
alaskan155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #13
thin blue line
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 XLT 302 E40D 5.5 devers 3"body lift 35" MTR's Warn locking hubs custom rock sliders.
cant wait to see the complete kit. and how much it will cost.
thin blue line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
BRONCONUT
Local # 40 Boilermakers

Bronco Info: back in the bronco hut being raped by my wrenches and welder
When I swap in my 60 I am going to make it as clean and simple as I can, that thing just looks way to busy IMO.

My Stupidmotors
BRONCONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
fatoldman
Banned

Quote:
Oh. No I don't think they will directly mount up. Those arms are not the best for articulation anyway. If I remember the bushing is in the axle bracket on those and not on the arm itself. In our radius arms the bushings will be in the arms.
oh, so they are meant to work with the arms you're making (or have made?) I gotta say that it's gonna be pretty cool too have this stuff available to those that may want it. I know it's gonna have to be $$$$ in order to make it worth it to you. I'm a cheap a$$, but I would still spring for something like that it if wasn't too much (and if I went coils, which I never will)
Old 02-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
BoulderBronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan155 View Post
im real interested in this,
how much do you think (ball park) this kit is going to run?
is it going to be a bolt on kit or require welding?
This is where I could get myself in trouble. But I'll say that I'm hoping it will be under $2K. This will include new axle brackets, track bar, track bar brackets, shock mount brackets, extra long radius arms, and radius arm mount brackets. I will probably offer shocks and extended brake lines as well. I may even offer a new driveshaft with the kit. I want to offer an easy kit with everything needed so you don't have to go searchig for other stupid little parts. I never understood offering something when the end user still has to go out and buy something else to make it work or be legal.
The kit will not require any welding it will be all bolt on and very easy to install. All the measurements and geometry will be built into the kit so you bolt everything on and go. There may be drilling required for the radius arm frame brackets. Other than that I expect it to be all bolt on. I hope to make it so easy that it could all be installed in under 3hrs (assuming the stock suspension is already removed of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONCONUT View Post
When I swap in my 60 I am going to make it as clean and simple as I can, that thing just looks way to busy IMO.
I don't disagree with you. But as you know there are alot of things that need to happen on the passenger side. It's easy to make things small and compact when you are doing it for yourself and don't need it to have much adjustability, not to mention welding.
But this is designed with all measurements built it including, stock suspension height (spring seat is same height as stock above axle so a 6" lift spring still gives 6" of lift) adjustability of caster, two choices of axle location forward of stock, adjustablity of lift height, track bar bracket built in and adjustable, excellent ground clearance, standard 2.63" bushing/heim mounting width for axle radius arm mounts, shock mounting tabs and mounts for future coilover upgrades. All this while being bolt on, no welding required for use on either the 78-79 D60 or the 86-98 D60. That is alot to accomplish in one bracket.

Quote:
oh, so they are meant to work with the arms you're making (or have made?) I gotta say that it's gonna be pretty cool too have this stuff available to those that may want it. I know it's gonna have to be $$$$ in order to make it worth it to you. I'm a cheap a$$, but I would still spring for something like that it if wasn't too much (and if I went coils, which I never will)
Yes the kit is a full kit with our radius arms being used. Yes this stuff is not cheap to design and build. But it makes it easy and affordable for the novice wrencher to do it themselves in their garage without any fancy tools or equipment. I believe there is quite a bit of value in that.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
mkiefer
FSB Vendor

Bronco Info: 89 EDDIE BAUR 77 BRONCO 4X4 94 LIGHTNING
I cant accually see the pic. not sure why. I was going to design something pretty close the what it sounds like your doing. I may have a few guys that are intrested. Including myself. but it will be going on an f350 to ditch the leaf setup. I dont have to reinvent evey wheel. And i would rather not.
http://s257.photobucket.com/home/southwestperformance pics
mkiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #18
gretna1970

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8L
Quote:
Right on! I'm glad to see you are still working on this! I noticed your notes on what years of the D60 will fit. I'm going to throw yet another question at ya :)

What about a DynaTrac D60 axles? I don't know enough about doing a sas swap judge if this is a stupid question or not. Their axles are pricey, but from what I hear, they are also bullet proof. A new completeld axle also goes along with your theme of keeping it simple for the owner/installer. (but ignores the inexpensive part) (the DynaTrac comes 100% ready to go, with gears and lockers already installed, you can pick any lug pattern , and you can even incorporate ABS if you want to).

Heck, this maybe something JBG may want to pick up and carry too. Best of luck to you.

BTW, I don't have the bumpers fully installed yet, just mocked up and even my wife commented on how badass the bumpers made the Bronco look... She never notices that stuff.

Last edited by gretna1970; 02-21-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: My grammar sucked
gretna1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
BoulderBronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretna1970 View Post
What about a DynaTrac D60 axles? I don't know enough about doing a sas swap judge if this is a stupid question or not.
Not a stupid question. With the various axle options out there it's impossible to make it fit all of them. So I made it fit the most popular axles. With that in mind the kit could certainly still be used with a Dynatrac axle. The difference may be in the way it mounts. All the measurements and geometry is built into our brackets based on the specs of the stock Ford axles and the spring perch widths. So if the Dynatrac had the same specs as far as caster with spring perch being level and spring perch width, then it would bolt up as it would on a stock Ford axle. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretna1970 View Post
BTW, I don't have the bumpers fully installed yet, just mocked up and even my wife commented on how badass the bumpers made the Bronco look... She never notices that stuff.
Tell your wife I said thanks for the compliments
Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
kemicalburns
Never Done

Any upper track bar mount ideas down on CAD yet? would be cool to see what you come up with and how soon it could be produced for purchase.
JBA headers,Custom Y pipe hi flow cat & Full 3"
kemicalburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > For Sale/Where to Buy > FSB Member Vendors