Rearend going out.... maybe??? please read if knowledgeable about bronco rearends - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
bronc36

Bronco Info: 96 EB Bronco, 351 ci., auto trans, stock suspension, Rancho shocks, Warn manual lockouts, 82k
Rearend going out.... maybe??? please read if knowledgeable about bronco rearends

Hey everyone, i have a 96 full size Bronco that has had a whining noise coming from the rearend for the last year or so. It also seems to have a grabby right rear brake occationally.

My wife has been driving it lately because she has the shortest drive to work. She told me last night that going down the highway it started jerking real bad and shook terribly when she had to put the brakes on hard for another car. She turned around and came home.

I took it out today and only had it happen to once once. It made a loud clunk and a jerked but only lasted a split second. I can't be sure but it seemed like the rearend to me.

I also noticed the last time i changed my right rear pads it had some very uneven wear on it. Only used about half of the front pad. This time the pads look ok. I was kinda hoping i would take the drum off and find the brake pads broken or tore up. It would be much easier to fix that then rebuilding the rearend.

I started a thread about the rearend noise a long time back and most thought maybe it was a pinion bearing. Wonder if it could be the axle bearing on that side? But as i said the brakes look good on that side. The axle has very little play in it. Pushed up on the pinion and it seemed tight too. U-joints are solid too.

I guess tommorrow morning i will take the cover off the rearend and give it a look. I did check the axle lube last summer and it was full. No signs of any leakage there.

What should i be looking for in the axle housing to tell if it needs work? other than metal shavings. Guess i was wondering if i could pry on parts in there to see if anything is worn or have too much slack.
If i can't find anything visually i may just have to button it back up and drive it until it gets worse or breaks altogether. I really don't want to wait that long but if i can't figure out what it is, i don't have much choice.

Any other ideas?
bronc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
bronc36

Bronco Info: 96 EB Bronco, 351 ci., auto trans, stock suspension, Rancho shocks, Warn manual lockouts, 82k
anyone?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
351w500
Ok, Ill admit it's Vagish

Bronco Info: '90 xlt 351w E40D Truetrac I GOT ROLLER ROCKERS !
Pull the rear brake drums and inspect everything, put the rear drums on 1/2 way and have someone hit the brakes gently, look for pad movement to verify that the wheel cylinders are moving/working. Pull the differential cover and check the gear oil for metal and discoloration, Inspect the ring and pinoin gears for an odd wear pattern, inspect the spider gears for play between the gear and shafts, and up/down movement.... check carrier for cracks...... look at everythang-
351w500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
omp

Bronco Info: 96 302, 5spd, 4" lift
Check as mentioned above then If its open carrier, drop pan. Pull c-clips and drop drive shaft from front input flange then spin and inspect carrier/pinion for play. I had a clunk in mine and ended up greasing my slip joint to solve half of it the other half was bad u joint in front. One was worn the other was dry
omp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
thin blue line
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 XLT 302 E40D 5.5 devers 3"body lift 35" MTR's Warn locking hubs custom rock sliders.
could be pinion bearing going bad.you maybe able to re torque the pinion nut. check what everyone has mentioned and let us know what you find.
thin blue line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
bronc36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351w500 View Post
Pull the rear brake drums and inspect everything, put the rear drums on 1/2 way and have someone hit the brakes gently, look for pad movement to verify that the wheel cylinders are moving/working. Pull the differential cover and check the gear oil for metal and discoloration, Inspect the ring and pinoin gears for an odd wear pattern, inspect the spider gears for play between the gear and shafts, and up/down movement.... check carrier for cracks...... look at everythang-
Everything looks good there. Pinion gear has no play. I'm going to pull the axles and change the bearings and seals while i'm in there.

It's not the slip joint. I fixed that problem about 2 years ago.

Could the transfer case have a worn chain and cause similar jerking at highway speeds? There is some play there when turning the driveshaft back and forth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!