Jerry Cans - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Alex95
People keep buying my

Bronco Info: A 88 Bronco and a LBZ to pull it.
Jerry Cans

So, ive searched around and didn't find my answer, does anyone know if Texas has any laws against or prohibiting the external mounting of a Jerry can? preferably one of gas and another of water?
Alex95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Did you Google anything like "texas motor vehicle codes" ?

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
Alex95
People keep buying my

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
no ill try that
Old 03-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
Alex95
People keep buying my

not finding anything relevant, guess ill mount them and if i get pulled over ill know
Old 03-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
Seattle FSB
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1990 EB FSB, MAF, 6.7L, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 4.56, 33" on 15x10 Alcoa's

Fuel Can Safety 101

As long as they are UL Listed, they are considered "approved portable containers" by the National Fire Code. Be sure not to over-fill them as they require space for expansion or they will vent liquid, possibly causing a problem. This is more prevalent in warmer environments.

When filling, have the container out of the vehicle on the ground and maintain contact between the fuel pump nozzle and the metalic mouth of the can for bonding, which reduces the chance of static electricity build-up from free fuel flow.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
omp

Bronco Info: 96 302, 5spd, 4" lift
My CTD catalog had 4 of the steel NATO ones for 120$. I paid 50$ a piece two years ago for NATO cans. Harbor freight has red metal
Cans with us round spout made in Indiana for 35$ a piece but the spouts are crap.
I'd love to be able to get a few more cans but always have a fear of soccer mon texting in the gov motors Tahoe running into me, come close a few times in bronco and on the bike.
omp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Frost

Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco XLT. 351 with 35" mud terrains
From what I understand, they're fine as long as they are actually fuel cans. I'm already planning on putting a pair on the back of my Bronco
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
Alex95
People keep buying my

yea i couldnt find anything relevant in the tx vehicle codes, except if you carry 100+ gallons of "flammable liquid" you need placards... ill give it a try when i get materials, i gotta build it from scratch...
Old 03-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #9
Steve83

Build what from scratch? A 100+gal gas tank?

. .
Old 03-18-2012, 04:08 AM   #10
1stdonkey

Bronco Info: 95' xlt
dude its texas im sure its not only allowed but encouraged
1stdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
PARAFROG

Bronco Info: 96XL 4WD 302 159k MILES. MANUAL HUBS, 13-56TC AND 5SPD TRANS
Quote:
maybe he might have googled arrogant answers from arrogant a-holes on less than helpful forums.

if i got your intention wrong, steve, then i apologize.

i am somewhat hammered, but i have belonged to a corvette forum where posters where ultimately more demanding of detail, but more forgiving o questions.

i must say that this forum has the highest knowledge/harassment factor of any i have endured. and i mean endured.

i don't know if it is because of the apartheid/newbie system or not. it seems that there are a lot of meatheads here who only want to slap mud with their buddies, and ultimately f*ck the newbies. for me, that is incongruous with the whole idea of an online, co-operative forum. and to say that it used to be worse is just rewarding prior bad behavior.

all i know is that for most people, all you hear is "use the search function". well, if you are only going to respond in that way, then don't respond.
common sense will prevail.

in fact, why respond at all. it has already been said. IF SOMEONE ULTIMATELY USES THE SEARCH FUNCTION, THEN YOUR RESPONSE IS SUPERFLUOUS .

if anyone would like to eat my ass, then let's go private. i would welcome it. let's not waste valuable forum space.

"but also thanks for the help."

frog.
DISABLED AND IN PAIN--PLEASE BE KIND
PARAFROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
Steve83

It would appear the staff doesn't share your opinion of what's superfluous.
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206680
...and yes, you're mistaken about my intent. The OP asked for a quote of Texas law, and I suggested he read it directly instead of getting it heresay.

. .
Old 03-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
Alex95
People keep buying my

Quote:
Build what from scratch? A 100+gal gas tank?

no, lol the mount for the cans, i dont have a spare tire mount and i have full replacement bumpers so ill weld on 2 brackets and make a removable mount
Old 03-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Dave's Bronc 90
Some assembly required!

Bronco Info: 90 EB, 351W, E40D, D60 SAS, 10.25 rear, ARB's front & back, indellible Cheerwine stain in carpet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAFROG View Post
maybe he might have googled arrogant answers from arrogant a-holes on less than helpful forums.

if i got your intention wrong, steve, then i apologize.

i am somewhat hammered, but i have belonged to a corvette forum where posters where ultimately more demanding of detail, but more forgiving o questions.

i must say that this forum has the highest knowledge/harassment factor of any i have endured. and i mean endured.

i don't know if it is because of the apartheid/newbie system or not. it seems that there are a lot of meatheads here who only want to slap mud with their buddies, and ultimately f*ck the newbies. for me, that is incongruous with the whole idea of an online, co-operative forum. and to say that it used to be worse is just rewarding prior bad behavior.

all i know is that for most people, all you hear is "use the search function". well, if you are only going to respond in that way, then don't respond.
common sense will prevail.

in fact, why respond at all. it has already been said. IF SOMEONE ULTIMATELY USES THE SEARCH FUNCTION, THEN YOUR RESPONSE IS SUPERFLUOUS .

if anyone would like to eat my ass, then let's go private. i would welcome it. let's not waste valuable forum space.

"but also thanks for the help."

frog.
We don't care how you did it over on some lame Corvette forum. They have their culture, we have ours. If you don't like it here there ain't anybody going to beg you to stay.
Dave's Bronc 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
Alex95
People keep buying my

so, i didnt want to make a new thread, so ill update this one... I went to good ole harbor freight today, and to my surprise they had, guess what? not one, but TWO 5 gallon NATO jerry cans so i picked em up for the good price of $40 ea. and one was 20% off! so yeah i just spent $70 ish bucks on gas cans that wern't a need but a want lol but whatever... Best part is, theyre made in AMERICA i guess you can say im happy

Theyre these right herr:
http://www.midwestcan.com/static.asp?path=2840,3462

ill find a way to fab a spout for it, i hate the CARB spill-proof one but whatever, one will be re-painted and used for water.
88 Custom; 4.9; C6; 3.55's; TTB, 8.8; BW1356; Top-Hats; K&N FIPK; 160A 3G, 2G compatible; Flowmaster 40 Series; GT Rollbar; Full Replacement F/R Brush Guards; 2 gal. Viair Air tank/compressor; HornBlasters Shocker XL Train Horns; Full MTX Audio System; Rollin on XD Addicts
Old 05-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #16
Steve83

I hope you don't plan to use that for DRINKING (potable) water - it's NOT suited to it.

. .
Old 05-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #17
Alex95
People keep buying my

hmm... they did not have a blue can or any color besides red, so i guess ill call them and see if they will be getting any for water, either way, ill find another purpose for the 2nd then.
88 Custom; 4.9; C6; 3.55's; TTB, 8.8; BW1356; Top-Hats; K&N FIPK; 160A 3G, 2G compatible; Flowmaster 40 Series; GT Rollbar; Full Replacement F/R Brush Guards; 2 gal. Viair Air tank/compressor; HornBlasters Shocker XL Train Horns; Full MTX Audio System; Rollin on XD Addicts
Old 05-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
OhNoBronco85

Bronco Info: 85, Rebuilt C6, Jasper 351W, Weiand, Shorties, Bed-Armor, Hella 700s, HID headlights
Gotta have the plastic jugs for potable water. The steel is fine for your radiator and what not but damn sure don't drink out of it.
OhNoBronco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #19
Alex95
People keep buying my

hmm, see, i did not know that lol, thanks what if its a metal can made for water? im guessing it would have a rubber lining of some sort
Old 05-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #20
RebelRider2010

Bronco Info: '96 XLT. E4OD, E-T-case 351W-tune up. 4'' Rancho Lift kit. 31'' tires.
Get a large rubber bladder and put it inside the one you intend for water.
The America flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it. Americans don't fight because they hate what's in front of them. They fight because they love what's behind them
RebelRider2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!