Running a crank trigger and MSD 6a Ignition - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Caddylackn

Bronco Info: 1988 XLT 5.0L AOD 200K
Running a crank trigger and MSD 6a Ignition

I picked up a MSD 6A box on craigslist for cheap. Supposedly rebuilt at factory.

The MSD 6A box has a lead for a crank trigger. I have the crank trigger wheel and magnetic pick up from the 5.0 L explorer. This got me thinking about using a crank trigger for the stock distributor.

I have the magnetic pickup and EDIS trigger wheel from my explorer motor. I need to use the bronco front cover, balancer, and pulleys -but the explorer magnetic pick up bolts right to the bronco front cover in the same location as the pointer and I think I could fab/machine the crank trigger wheel to the bronco harmonic balancer. This seems like this could be fabbed to work but:

If I did this and ran the bronco distributor and coil but used a crank trigger, am I going to lose all the stock ignition advance features of the TFI and bronco EFI distributor? Is this a big deal, as some people run with the spout removed? Or will the computer advance the timing as needed using the crank trigger?

My build is a 96 explorer 5.0, gt 40 heads, gt 40 manifold, explorer 65 mm TB, Hedman shorty headers, future MAF,
Manual Hubs, Six-Litre Tune, 3-G swap, 31" tires, 2" lift, dual front shocks, Hedman SS 89470 Shorties, 2-1/2" Y-pipe into 3" Cat, 3" SS Vibrant Muffler, 3" SS tail pipe, 3.55 gears, AOD w/ stage 1 B&M shift kit, Saginaw PS swap, CVPI 18" electric Fan. Headlight Harness mod, Hella 500FFs. Faded factory red paint with ZZ Top factory stripes and rust free '90 tailgate. Just turned 205k miles
Caddylackn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
kemicalburns
Never Done

people dont run with the spout connector removed.

obd-II must use a crank position sensor so i think your heading down the same path with the msd box. someone will chim in
JBA headers,Custom Y pipe hi flow cat & Full 3"
kemicalburns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
magnumpi
Wrenching for a Livin'

Bronco Info: '85 Ford Bronco XLT.
Have you tried to bolt on the crank sensor to your bronco? It shouldn't bolt on. Your year should not have the correct holes cast into the front cover.

Im not familiar with the msd box, so im not sure whats do-able with it, but I'm running a EDIS8 ford ignition on my bronco. It is distributorless. Im running the explorer trigger wheel on a pulley spacer i had a machine shop make for my aftermarket balancer. Works great, just had to space out the crank sensor.

Mounting a trigger wheel is not that hard, but it will require some hunting/junkyard runs for parts, or a machine shop bill.

If you swap the entire explorer front dress over (all accessory brakets, and front cover) you can run the explorer balancer with the trigger wheel pressed on it.
Welded 14 bolt, HPKingpin D60 w/ lockright, ZF5, NP205, 4.88 gears, SMPFI 393 w/ EDIS(gufx strat), Chevy 52s Front, Inboarded Chevy 63s Rear, DOM heim steering, DOM cage, Saginaw pump, 3/8" fuel system, 200amp 3G Alternator....

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck Technician
magnumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech