Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

CBboots continues Joshmillshane's 79 build

107K views 839 replies 50 participants last post by  CBboots 
#1 ·
Hey guys, been a while. For those who don't know (99.9% I reckon) I picked up a 79 a month or so ago. The previous owner had done quite a bit of work already and was/is an FSB user. I have begun my additions to the "stealth-bomber", lol, and will get some pics up when my email recieves them (wife's camera/docking station/computer = emailing them to myself). I've been doing body work, installing a Superflex 4" w/ Deaver springs, removal of the homemade top conversion, rust fixes on frame and will be installing a hardtop in the immediate future (waiting on seals). I plan to install some cool bucket seats I got off of E-bay, install the sound/thermal sheets from Eastwood, carpet, door shells, door panels, a full roof rack, and a billion other things that I can't think of right now. Wish me luck, CB

#2 ·
Some pics (maybe, lol)

Okay, Let's see here...

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks, I got two repair panels on their way. Maybe I can con Scoop into coming over and show me easy it is to weld them in.:toothless
I've been thinking about getting a MIG.....a buddy who doesn't know how to use his that well is gonna let me try his out on a loaner basis.

#9 ·
Lol, ya thanks....I'm really excited about it. This was the third or fourth one I had looked at to buy, and it was the only one that "felt right", if you can get my meaning. If it ends up anything like I'm wanting, it's gonna be bad-a**. I had been checking your build out earlier and it looks pretty good too!

#11 ·
Oh man, it's a total let down......nothing.:haha I just saw the picture and liked it. Kinda like an inspiration to me though, everytime I look at it I think there's other BKO's that need more work than mine.

#13 ·
I think I will too. When I drove it home, it had a snap or jerk kind of feeling in the rear end. The blocks and shims had visible movement, plus I'm no fan of blocks anyways.....seen bad things happen too many times. We all do what we can afford so I won't trash talk blocks. I'm curious about all the poly bushings, I've heard they are pretty stiff and deliver alot of shock to the body. The springs came with rubber/dura-whatever bushings already in and the lift kit came with extra poly bushings for the springs, but I'm gonna leave the rubber/dura-whatever bushings in them.

#15 ·
Thanks for the congrats. I'm not a big fan of the conversion.....for my purposes. This is going to be my "tactical" vehicle if SHTF. Trying to make it as sturdy/reliable as possible, you know......to get the wife, dog, survival gear, etc. into it. Lol, my wife says, "Ya..no, you just wanted an old truck to play with."

#16 ·
The new patches came in! No pics yet, but they are a little bigger than I thought. But hey, for $49 a piece from Rock auto you can't go wrong.....can always trim them and they save me from filling in some of the holes for the racetrack trim.:thumbup

#18 ·
- New patch panels
- My little helper
- Superflex/Deaver springs installed
- Old springs and scrap
- Two tailgate glass bolts that are kicking my A**
- Topper from donor BKO
- How come my window won't go up

Attachments

#22 ·
The top looks great, I love glossy tops on these.

Also I noticed you didn't use the stock wedges on the rear.
The angle doesn't look terrible, but it is low and you may get some vibration there...

#23 ·
Ya, I'm a little worried about the angle. Buddy is gonna bring over some high-speed measuring doo-hicky and check it out....sometime. The shims I had were junk. At the end of the day, I'll feel it if it vibrates or we'll get the angle measured and either way I'll through steel shims in it if need be. Now that it's got new hardware, it won't be so bad to work on.

#25 ·
LMAO.....
I'm still working/cussing on it. It is actually a spare piece of glass, so maybe.....crack. The red tailgate has all the guts, the blck one on the BKO is a shell w/ striker catches and that's it, but is toast at the bottom. I wussed out on welding a skin to the bottom of the black one and ordered a tailgate. Not being "technical" or a smart-a**, but ya mean my quarters? I'm practicing w/ the loaner welder, but I'll be sure to take some 'ole pics of my chopping stuff up and setting the garage on fire.:haha If all goes well, I'm gonna screw a strip behind the panels, buttjoint the patch and body and go to town....grind, bondo, glaze, etc., etc.

#26 ·
So I couldn't bring myself to break the tailgate glass to get the spare parts. I am cutting the tailgate apart and will get them out that way. An intersesting side note, I'm waiting on goodies to be delivered by FedEx and they did not show today. They listed this, "Recipient location security delay. Delivery will be reattempted." WTF? There wasn't a delivery truck here at all, let alone a SECURITY Delay. What, they scared somebody out here in the boonies might shoot them or something? That's crap, I think the toolbag just didn't make all his runs today. Sorry for the rant, you know how it is when you want your stuff.......I'll post pics of the butchered tailgate in a bit.

#27 ·
So the red one is good and you can't get behind the glass that is all the way down to unscrew it to remove? Yes the goodies were the quarters. I have one bad wheel well that I want to replace this summer. I want to do the entire quarter so is will be a bear I'm sure. Never had a problem w/ FedEx. The dump my stuff on the front porch and I'm on a secondary road in the sticks.

#28 ·
Well, "good" is not really what I'd call the red one. Ya, it has almost all the window operating parts but after I got the tailgate apart, those aren't that hot either. I'm practicing my welding techniques, but will be sure to post pics when I start messing with the patches....just don't expect them to be nice a purty like Scoop's.:toothless

#54 ·
My mistake, I like/try to reply to everybody who is nice enough to post in the thread. Glad you like the pics, I'm horrible with the camera and getting the pics from the camera into the dang computer, so keep that in mind.:toothless Working on the tailgate is interesting, not terribly hard, but pain in the butt because it's so darn tight in there ("Rossisnow", be nice w/ your comments, hehe).

#35 · (Edited)
Lol, we must have both replied to each other's threads at the same time.
Ah okay, that explains why I can't man-handle the mechanism.....I was thinking it was froze up. I haven't played with it enough to fully figure it out though, thanks for the "heads up".

#37 ·
Ya, it's different. If it was more.....movable, I'd think about keeping it or if I had multiple Broncos maybe I'd put it back on one of 'em. But I need the SUV function of mine for gear, dog, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.