D44HD conversion caliper question - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco 5.8 DD, 88 Bronco motorless Mudder
D44HD conversion caliper question

i found a truck at the junkyard that had a complete D44HD. i was planing on doing the D44HD knuckle-out conversion on my 96 so i have 8 lug all around since im doing a Sterling 10.5 swap. seems pretty straight forward looking at THIS but i have questions about the caliper.

My 96 uses calipers that have the 2 bolt pins, not the sliding pins like the D44HD and pre-94 bronco calipers use. in this it says to use get the D44HD "caliper bracket" but when looking at mine, my "bracket" and the knuckle are one piece and not bolt-on. do i have to get a new steering knuckle to do this? can i not use my stock calipers on the HD rotors?

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
Kingfish999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Rusty Shackelford

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco
does that work on ttb?
Rusty Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

im pretty sure its suppose to. maby im wrong?

my knuckle is 5 hole and the spinde ur suppose to use is 5 hole. but i know the brocos that use that style brakes are 6 hole spindles. i was thinknig i can use the knuckle off my 88 if i have to but its got 6 bolt spindles so i dont think i can use that. i odnt think the D44HD knuckle fits regualr D44 correct?

o well ill pull it and find out later. maby i can sell them if i cant use them

Old 06-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
CWbronco

Bronco Info: 95 xlt, 302, 37's, 4.56's, D44 SAS, 10.25 FF
If it doesn't work send them to me!

SAS

FOTM Oct. 2012
CWbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Rusty Shackelford

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco
what is the d44hd from?
Rusty Shackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

well didnt have time to get it today. spent all my trying to get my 10.5 out of the aisles of junk cars. got it paid for with 5 mins to spare before closing. but i forgot the u-botls and spring plates so i got to go back anyways to get them and then ill know more about these knuckles. not sure what year it was its from an old late70s early 80s or so F250

Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Mike4xdriver

Bronco Info: 91' F-150 I-6, Auto, 4x4
Ford dana44hd is a solid axle since the TTB 3/4 tons are D50's. You need the knuckle from the dana44hd to do your conversion just for the caliper mounting IIRC. D50 knuckles will not fit a TTB Dana 44 because balljoint spacing is different.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Mike4xdriver

Bronco Info: 91' F-150 I-6, Auto, 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish999 View Post
well didnt have time to get it today. spent all my trying to get my 10.5 out of the aisles of junk cars. got it paid for with 5 mins to spare before closing. but i forgot the u-botls and spring plates so i got to go back anyways to get them and then ill know more about these knuckles. not sure what year it was its from an old late70s early 80s or so F250
Ford ran solid axles till 79' in 1/2ton and 3/4ton. 80' was first year for TTB.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
badass1tonf100
Hit it n' Git it

Bronco Info: 4 wheels, 1tons, 3 sticks, sheet metal & some tubing.
SAS stuff will not bolt to the TTB. You'll need 8 lug stuff from a Chevy 10 bolt or D44 (same thing). KF4AMU has a write up on the 8 lug ttb conversion. Just hang on to your SAS 8 lug stuff if you plan to do a SAS in the future. If you have anymore question feel free to pm me and I'll help you out.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

well im not gonna do a SAS to this truck ever. ill do it to my 88 before my 96. i knew the D50 stuff was bigger than the D44 but didnt know if the knuckles of the HD and regualr were intergangeable. i could of swore that you could do this to the TTB tho. ill do saome more reasearch and look for chevy stuff tho. ill still pull what i can jsut incase i can use more.

would it be possible to use my original rotor and caliper, and jsut drill the 8 lug pattern into the rotor and use it? maby i could put the caliper bracket on the opposite side of my existing knuckle? it be cool if i can find a way to get this to work

CW, ill pull them and send them to ya for the cost of parts,shipping and 30$ for labor. or ill send ya jsut the parts ya need like the knuckle and spindle and caliper bracket since itll be best to buy new hub/rotor/balljoints/calipers/pads/bearings

Old 06-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
CWbronco

Bronco Info: 95 xlt, 302, 37's, 4.56's, D44 SAS, 10.25 FF
You got it man. Move it to a PM, so we don't get yelled at by the forum gods.

SAS

FOTM Oct. 2012
CWbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
catsnw
A broke kid with a bronco

Bronco Info: 1995 EB bronco 5.8, auto, true duals, k&n intake, 3G alternator, 12 front lights (more to come!)
http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/lift/8lugswap.html

That ^^ uses Chevy stuff. You also need 6 bolt knuckles. The five bolt (from the 96) won't work. Just find non abs knuckles and it's a bolt up swap.

٩(●̮̮)۶

catsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
bronco12372

Bronco Info: MOPAR POWER
he removed the swap because he kept brakeing beams for some reason .
bronco12372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #14
DNBELOWBRONCO

Bronco Info: '96, 5.8, 4.56, 4", 35's, Thorleys, Warn 8274, 5100's, 160 3G, Sag, 10.25, E-fan, Projectors, 8-Lug
Quote:
well im not gonna do a SAS to this truck ever. ill do it to my 88 before my 96. i knew the D50 stuff was bigger than the D44 but didnt know if the knuckles of the HD and regualr were intergangeable. i could of swore that you could do this to the TTB tho. ill do saome more reasearch and look for chevy stuff tho. ill still pull what i can jsut incase i can use more.

would it be possible to use my original rotor and caliper, and jsut drill the 8 lug pattern into the rotor and use it? maby i could put the caliper bracket on the opposite side of my existing knuckle? it be cool if i can find a way to get this to work

CW, ill pull them and send them to ya for the cost of parts,shipping and 30$ for labor. or ill send ya jsut the parts ya need like the knuckle and spindle and caliper bracket since itll be best to buy new hub/rotor/balljoints/calipers/pads/bearings
No man you can't there isn't enough room to do the eight lug configuration on the rotor. I tried to find 5.5 to 8 lug adapters to use 8 lug wheels on my '96 and they don't offer them for that exact reason. You will need some early ('80's up to '91) Ford knuckles because they have the 6 studs for the 6 hole spindles and some hub/rotors off a ('78 to '91) 3/4 ton Chevy and the same year Chevy calipers, pads, outer stub shafts (Chevy uses D44's but the shaft is a hair longer for going through the spindle), and the spindles themselves called (10 bolt/big bearing). Check E-bay for the spindles, stubs, and lockouts and local parts house for the calipers, bearings, and seals.
Ruffstuff or Hefty our vendors have the 6 hole brackets for mounting the Chevy calipers to the Ford knuckles so other than Chevy inner (big) bearings and basic D44 outer (small) bearings, seals, and Chevy lockouts that's all you need. If your ball joints are in good shape you can press them out and use them in the early knuckles! The straight axle stuff is the wrong size for the ttb's so it won't work....

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Seuss-
DNBELOWBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #15
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNBELOWBRONCO View Post
No man you can't there isn't enough room to do the eight lug configuration on the rotor. I tried to find 5.5 to 8 lug adapters to use 8 lug wheels on my '96 and they don't offer them for that exact reason. You will need some early ('80's up to '91) Ford knuckles because they have the 6 studs for the 6 hole spindles and some hub/rotors off a ('78 to '91) 3/4 ton Chevy and the same year Chevy calipers, pads, outer stub shafts (Chevy uses D44's but the shaft is a hair longer for going through the spindle), and the spindles themselves called (10 bolt/big bearing). Check E-bay for the spindles, stubs, and lockouts and local parts house for the calipers, bearings, and seals.
Ruffstuff or Hefty our vendors have the 6 hole brackets for mounting the Chevy calipers to the Ford knuckles so other than Chevy inner (big) bearings and basic D44 outer (small) bearings, seals, and Chevy lockouts that's all you need. If your ball joints are in good shape you can press them out and use them in the early knuckles! The straight axle stuff is the wrong size for the ttb's so it won't work....
alright so i can use the knuckles off my 88s TTB (its getting a complete front end to replace tophat lockouts), buy chevy spindles from ebay, buy lockouts rub/rotor caliper bearings seals and stub shafts at auto parts store, and buy the bracket from the vendors and it should all work? or do i have ot use the chevy knuckle also? ill try and find the chevy spindle and jsut incase its knuckle at the JY. im gonna get new balljoints cause there warrenty but idk if they will fit the chevy knuckle

Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
helirich
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNBELOWBRONCO View Post
I understand that there is not room for 8 lug on the rotor. But why couldnt you just bolt a adapter to go 8 lug? I suppose you would need a spacer in the rear to make it look right.

I see this 44HD in here from time to time and I always wonder does it change the size of the u-joints at the wheel. If not, I would just buy adapters.
helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
Brochoncho

Bronco Info: 94 Bronco 351 ZF5 4inch Procomp lift 33's basani Y mostly rebuilt...
There are a few different articles on how to do this. Also there is a lot of parts that will not work together. So read a few of them before you try it. Here is one first ones that popped up on a google search. http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/t...50s-18627.html

I also have some of the chevy stuff for sale in my add in the classifieds here.

77 Scout SSII 460 c6/np205 Dana 60/14blt H2 wheels 36 Irok radials
Brochoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #18
Gacknar
The Anti Yam!

Bronco Info: 86 Bronco XLT 357w/AOD
One does not mearly "Slap" 8-Lug on to TTB.

Like almost everything else with TTB, It's just not that simple.

My SuperMotors Site - My Engine

The Greatest Thread on FSB
Gacknar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
I understand that there is not room for 8 lug on the rotor. But why couldnt you just bolt a adapter to go 8 lug? I suppose you would need a spacer in the rear to make it look right.

I see this 44HD in here from time to time and I always wonder does it change the size of the u-joints at the wheel. If not, I would just buy adapters.
as far as i know, they cant seem to make an 5x5.5 to 8x6.5 adapter. dont know why but maby the position of some of the lugs would overlap? ive heard of someone using 2 wheel spacers on each side to convert to another pattern but then i would have at least 3" of spacer. that would kill my wheel bearings considering what i do with this truck. if i didnt have to worry about bearings, that 3" would help alot since my 10.5 is gonna be ALOT wider than the front.

no id does not but thats why people do the D50 stubshaft swap so that they are stronger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brochoncho View Post
There are a few different articles on how to do this. Also there is a lot of parts that will not work together. So read a few of them before you try it. Here is one first ones that popped up on a google search. http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/t...50s-18627.html

I also have some of the chevy stuff for sale in my add in the classifieds here.
i jsut saw this recently and thats what im gonna be going by now.

i took a quick look at ur ad but all you have left are the knuckles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacknar View Post
One does not mearly "Slap" 8-Lug on to TTB.

Like almost everything else with TTB, It's just not that simple.
lol that sounds like an internet meme ive seen.

why cant ford make parts more inchangeable? why must they always change parts instead of using stuff that works. why i ask why?!?!?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #20
Gacknar
The Anti Yam!

Bronco Info: 86 Bronco XLT 357w/AOD
Quote:
lol that sounds like an internet meme ive seen.
Hmmmm

Cant 8-Lug TTB Easily.....
Better drink your own piss.

My SuperMotors Site - My Engine

The Greatest Thread on FSB
Gacknar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech