Hub question - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Riggs

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 5.0 E40D and 4.10 gears
Hub question

Hello all,

I just installed new hubs up front, mile marker premiums. and I have a couple of questions. I am stumped.

If I have a limited slip rear, does that mean there is LS up front too ?

the reason I ask, is that when I am testing the new hubs by hand I am getting confused.

here is what I am talking about.

HUBS IN FREE MODE
I spin the driveshaft by hand and both of the knuckles by the brakes are spinning fine. That is good right.

HUBS IN LOCK
I spin the DS by hand and one of them will lock, but the other knuckle will keep spinning, I can still spin the DS with one knuckle not moving and the other continues to spin, I can keep spinning forever until I go the opposite way with the DS, then the other will lock and then I can no longer spin the DS.

so basically if I want to use 4wd, it looks like I have to go forward then in reverse or vice versa before it actually kicks in.

how can one of the knuckles spin while the other is staying put ? Do I have a limited slip up front or something? I though that was just in the rear. Or is this normal for 4wd?

I also checked the T case, that is shifting fine.

and BTW for the 6 or so years I have had this Bronco, it turns out that I never really had 4wd. both of those stockers were seized beyond belief.

Thanks for the help fellas

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Ziggy
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco
I don't think you have limited slip in the front and installing manual locking hubs will not give you limited slip.

I have never heard of having to back up in order to lock the hubs, sounds like something is not installed properly on the one side which is preventing it from locking in until you back up. They are not side specific so that should not make a difference.

The only other suggestion I have is to swap the hubs and see what happens.
3G Alt. Upgrade, Duel Batteries, 351M bored .030 over with Edlebrock cam and intake, C-6 w/AO4D internals, 3" lift w/RS 9000, 33x12.50 MTR's, Saginaw PS Pump Conversion, On Board Air, Detroit Locker, Hydro Boost Brake System, Altimeter from a CH-46D, Map Light from a MH-53E.

U. S. Government - Wasting paper and keeping Lumber Jacks gainfully employed since 1776.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #3
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Click this & read the caption:

One of the new locks is just a little sticky. It should work out the more you use 4WD. You didn't pack the locks with grease, did you?

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
Riggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Click this & read the caption:

One of the new locks is just a little sticky. It should work out the more you use 4WD. You didn't pack the locks with grease, did you?
H5 is my code = 4.10 with LS

No, didnt pack with grease, just a light coat. One pump from my grease gun smeared over the entire hub

If you have LS does that mean its in the front too ?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
cstrike
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 86 302/AOD on 8 lugs. 96 302/ZF5.
As Steve's caption states, a third digit in the code would indicate a front limited slip. So H5 is just the rear (at least as far as the sticker is concerned).

1st digit: A letter generally indicates a limited slip diff (H for 1/2-tons) or a heavy axle; 1 generally indicates a 1/2-ton axle with an open diff; 2 generally indicates a 3/4-ton open; 3 a 1-ton open. There are MANY exceptions.
2nd digit:
1 = 3.07 (heavy), 3.00 (light), 3.54, 3.07
2 = 2.73, 3.73 (early light), 3.50 (early heavy)
3 = 3.54 (late), 3.73 (early), 4.10, 4.11
4 = 3.00 or 3.73
5 = 4.10
6 = 3.55 (heavy) or 3.73 (medium)
7 = 2.47
8 = 3.08
9 = 3.55, 3.70 or 4.11 (early)
3rd digit: Any character (usually 2 or B) indicates a limited slip front axle (4WD)
8.8" axles under fullsize light trucks are rated at 3800 lbs or more.
cstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
JScatt
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 351W, 2.5 R/C Lift,4.10's..much more to come
They are prolly just sticky from the grease. Like Steve said they will prolly loosen up.
They should have been ready to go out of the box, no lube required.
IMO you shouldn't use any amount of grease to lube hubs, submerge in ATF then let the excess drip off then install.

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.
JScatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
[quote=Riggs;2922897
If you have LS does that mean its in the front too ?[/QUOTE]

YO RIGGS,
Check Dana 44 ID tag for ratio and if STD or LS Limited Slip or what Dana describes as "Trac Lok"
Steve has a list of Dana 44 Bills of Material (Dana Part Numbers):
@ http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/173572
for example;
610335-2 Trac Lok 3.54 88.5 - 92 1/2-ton

Front Axle Tag TSB 92-05-14 for 85-92 Bronco, F Series, Ranger & 91-92 Explorer
The 1991 and prior model front drive axles had identification information in the following three (3) places:
1. It was on a metal tag attached to a carrier cover mounting bolt.
2. It was stamped into the left side axle arm (tube) front face inboard of the U-Joint.
3. It was on a paper tape tag wrapped around the axle arm (tube).

The 1992 model year axles use a glue-on label that replaces all three of the prior identification markings. The new label is on the rear face of the right hand arm (tube).

ACTION: Since this glue-on label is the only identification, be sure that the information on the label is recorded in a retrievable place before any service actions are taken which will damage/destroy or remove the label.

Also check Door Jamb Label (Certification Label, also referred to as the Patent Plate, Data Plate & the Warranty Plate)

3rd digit: Any character (usually 2 or B) indicates a limited slip front axle (4WD)
Here is a pic in a 91 5.8 & E4OD
Source: by Alvin in AZ at http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/BroncoTag.jpg
He has a H9 rear 8.8 (as Built) and there is no other identifier for front so w assume it is Dana 44 Std
Here is the DANA Bill of Material site http://www2.dana.com/pdf/XGI.PDF

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Riggs

so just cleaned up the one tag I could find on it.

4 09 E9TA

so no mention of limited slip up front.

the hubs just must be a little sticky or something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!