Fuel pump? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
Big Mike C.
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '79 HD edition Bronco
Fuel pump?

The old Bronco has been sitting for about three years due to deployments, anyway, I dropped the tank and cleaned it all out blew out all the lines, rebuilt the carb and refueled it. Now I am getting fuel to the pump and about 10 inches from the carb (installed a clear hose to see if it was pumping), but then it stops. Does anyone have a clue as to why? Do I need a new fuel pump, or more patience?
Big Mike C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Ziggy
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco
Look to see if you have fuel dripping from the weep hole on the fuel pump, might have a blown diaphragm in the fuel pump.
3G Alt. Upgrade, Duel Batteries, 351M bored .030 over with Edlebrock cam and intake, C-6 w/AO4D internals, 3" lift w/RS 9000, 33x12.50 MTR's, Saginaw PS Pump Conversion, On Board Air, Detroit Locker, Hydro Boost Brake System, Altimeter from a CH-46D, Map Light from a MH-53E.

U. S. Government - Wasting paper and keeping Lumber Jacks gainfully employed since 1776.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Big Mike C.
Fullsize Member

I will check. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
soksniffer

Bronco Info: '78, 400, hydroboost, dual t-cases, wristed, detroits f&r
I rebuilt my engine recently and tried to reuse the fuel pump from the previous engine, which was a few years old but low-mileage. It had worked fine prior to the rebuild. When I put it on the rebuilt engine, it didn't work at all. I never noticed any fuel leaking from it, but replacing it with a new pump solved my problem.

Edit:
Also, my first go on the trail this weekend I started having apparent fuel issues with nothing getting into the carb after a mild obstacle (this is with the above-mentioned new fuel pump). Pouring a little bit of gas directly into the carburetor allowed me to get the engine started and it had no problem staying running. I think my clunkly carb was/is having priming issues. Might try starting it this way to see if you can keep it running, and if so likely rule out the fuel pump as the problem.
soksniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
jopes
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
you blew out the lines, do you now have a line leaking air in when the pump is sucking for fuel?

Let's Go Fishing.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
87Roughneck

Bronco Info: '87 Bronco Custom; 300cid EFI w/ 3" exhaust; 35" Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar MTRs on 15x8; 2.5" lift
Bad pump, or sucking air, as said above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soksniffer View Post
I think my clunkly carb was/is having priming issues.
Priming issues? How's that? You should have about half a cup of fuel in the carb bowl, even when it's not running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Is he STILL arguing this? I put him on my ignore list years ago, so I don't have to read his ranting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
Years? He's only been here since February of this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
87Rougneck knows his shit, even though he can be a dick. I'd listen to him.
87Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
speedyweasel
Certified Asshat

Bronco Info: Dentside Bronco & '04 Excursion XLT
Ooh good timing for this thread. Both of mine are doing this. My "primary" one has an electric pump, too, so I just flip that on to prime it for a minute but the "new" one doesn't have one so I have to crank it for a year to make it start.

Gonna try checking lines for an air leak. Thanks for posting Big Mike!
speedyweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
Big Mike C.
Fullsize Member

Replaced the fuel pump. After a little cranking, she started right up...now she starts as soon as I turn the key! Again, thanks guys!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
379sinvb
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion & Yeller
I'm having what started out as a similar problem to Big Mikes. On way home from work I filled up the tank (33gal) and got back on road. About 5min/5miles down road truck started to run like pooh. Slowed for a light and it bogged down like going to cut off and then cut of. Tried restarting and no go, pulled in lot and check filter before carb and it was dry. Originally thought it was pump so I replaced it. I had fuel, not much at pump where it connects to soft line. I tried starting it and nothing. Started to think a more difficult problem based on that. Had it towed home, tried again and it started. Surprised so I popped hood and filter had fuel in it, halfway usually 3/4 any other time. Moved Bronco let run for 10 and it did then ran dry again and cut off. So I checked lines thinking one had a hole in it and pump was pulling air. Started at tank because it is most dif to get to. Pulled soft line off hard line and I took a gas shower. Put line back on and moved to soft line at pump. No fuel there so I assumed line was bad (felt soft and brittle) replaced it and had fuel to carb in no time. Let it run for 10+ so I'm like problem solved. Drove it up street for test drive and got about 7 miles up street and cut off on me. Still had fuel in filter and getting fuel in carb. Would start but after a second it cut out. Waited and tried for 10 min and finally started, halled ass home. Got home and was like , Bronco sat overnight while I pondered what was going on. Thinking maybe bad sending unit or clogged sock at sending unit. Go out next day to see what I get and Bronco just turns over no fire up/start. Work my way to a bad coil replace that and now no fuel again. Same process, but this time no fuel at soft line for tank. Take air hose blow air in tank to clear sock and line, move up front and blow out hard line on frame then soft to hard line and then prime pump. Have fuel to pump which sends it to filter. Start Bronco and let run for 20 mins, fine. Start next day same thing runs fine, start today and try luck drive to pick kids up and gets me there and back (surprised). Pop hood and damn filter is dry agian. My thoughts now are sending unit is clogged or sucking sock in line and preventing fuel or I have a hole somewhere on fuel line. Your thoughts?

ForOffRoadDomination

Rick
My Project- "Left for Dead"
379sinvb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
speedyweasel
Certified Asshat

My thoughts? Weird shit.

Clogged wouldn't explain it being intermittent like that, IMO. Dropping the tank sucks, but at least the screen on the fuel pickup is cheap... I got mine from Dennis Carpenter. It was like $5.00 + $600 shipping. Fit just like factory and took ten minutes to install once the tank was down.

I don't know that a clogged screen like that would be the problem, but it's an easy (albeit time consuming) task to replace it. I don't suppose you've tried seeing if there's a pressure leak between tank and pump, have you? Pressurize the line and see if it leaks down?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
379sinvb
Resurection Ranch

I'll try the pressure trick Charlie and see what happens. I've played with this thing so much I get 10' out and I swear I smell fuel. If I do the sending unit I'm cutting a hole in the floor to access it. I have another unit already because Shamrock has a hole in the tank that needs replacing.

Thanks

ForOffRoadDomination

Rick
Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
7LBRONCO
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 XLT, 429 Thunderjet, C6, sh ackle flip in rear, 4" springs in front, 4.56 gears, f& r trac loc
I believe your 79 had the charcoal evap system OE. IF you have a non-vented cap and the charcoal evap system becomes clogged, you will in essence pull a vaccuum in the fuel tank. Try driving with a vented gas cap, to check for a clogged vent. I'm lucky. My 78 was the last year for non cat leaded fuel. NO evap system, and big hole in the filler neck!!
7LBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
speedyweasel
Certified Asshat

Oh crap. I forgot that. I have one of each... 1 with EEC and 1 without. Good suggestion
Old 01-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
379sinvb
Resurection Ranch

7L, when you say non vented cap are you speaking of only the down spout being there? If so mine is vented (I believe) and has a second tube beside the down spout to the gas tank.

ForOffRoadDomination

Rick
Old 01-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
7LBRONCO
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 XLT, 429 Thunderjet, C6, sh ackle flip in rear, 4" springs in front, 4.56 gears, f& r trac loc
Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
7L, when you say non vented cap are you speaking of only the down spout being there? If so mine is vented (I believe) and has a second tube beside the down spout to the gas tank.
The second tube is an overflow/fill vent tube. It lets the air out of the gas tank, as you fill it. All 79s had the "closed" fuel tank set up. If yours is acting weird, try driving without a gas cap, or use a VENTED gas cap. OE your gas cap will be NON vented.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
379sinvb
Resurection Ranch

I have an aftermarket one that locks. Now if it's causing a vaccum wouldn't popping the cap off stop that? Why you are telling me to do this right. This charcol set up you speak of being clogged possibly. Where might that be, on front passenger framerail?

ForOffRoadDomination

Rick
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #17
7LBRONCO
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
I have an aftermarket one that locks. Now if it's causing a vaccum wouldn't popping the cap off stop that? Why you are telling me to do this right. This charcol set up you speak of being clogged possibly. Where might that be, on front passenger framerail?
I THINK that is the correct location. Yes, leaving the gas cap off will prevent a clogged evap line from pulling a vacuum. If the OE system is still in place, there will be 2 lines, approx the same size going forward from the gas tank. One will be the fuel supply line, and the other will be for the evap emission control. You can find out which is which, and try blowing air back thru the evap line, from where it attaches to the charcoal canister. I don't think there is a check valve, so you should be able to hear air/bubbles in the gas tank. I hope you find the issue soon. Its not much fun having "toys" you cannot depend on.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
7LBRONCO
Fullsize Member

Sorry I cannot be more specific about the canister location, its prob been 25 years since I have seen one. Seems like they were black, and shaped kinda like the washer fluid res. There should be a rubber line coming off the canister that connects to engine vacuum, to draw the fumes out and burn them. I remember people plugging THAT line and causing problems, also,
Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
379sinvb
Resurection Ranch

I think all of that is long gone on this one. I know the smog pump is gone and a few other smog related stuff also

ForOffRoadDomination

Rick
Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #20
7LBRONCO
Fullsize Member

Look for the evap line coming from the tank, and see if it is present/capped off. Also, have you checked fuel pressure with a gauge? FYI, if you have to replace the mech fuel pump, dropping the P/S pump and bracket makes access to the pump very good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech