Out of the Blue - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
Out of the Blue

Wow yesterday I dropped the GF off at the Mercedes Dealership to pick up the 500 SL for service and drove up the hill towards home, decided to stop and get gas and the BKO started running really rough, stalled and wouldn't budge when I restarted putting it in drive, it just wouldn't go, I was freaking out thinking is the rebuilt AOD tranny taking a dump, I just serviced it with filter and fluid not long ago ....then managed to pull in for gas.

I looked under the hood and noticed some mystery fluid spayed up on the underside of the hood just above the brake booster and all over the booster but I couldn't figure out where it came from, looked over everything with a flashlight but didn't find anything leaking.

It restarted no problem after putting in $25.00 of gas which was like a fart in a wind storm....lol lol and then it did it again, same symptoms as I'm pulling out, restarted and barely managed to keep it running but got it home, stalled going thru the security gate, got it in the driiveway.

So popped the hood and pulled codes immediately and got:
KOEO 54 -ACT sensor signal is greater than the Self-Test maximum of 4.6 volts
KOEO - 31 - PFE or EVP circuit has intermittently failed below minimum voltage of 0.24volts.

KOER - 24 - ACT sensor out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts.
KOER - 41 - HEGO sensor circuit indicates system lean (right side).
No HEGO switching detected always lean (right side).

I mean this was out of the blue, the BKO has been running like a swiss watch, though recently I did have an issue, code: 31 EVP out of range but this turned out to be my #1 & #5 spark plug wires, #1 the clip inside was out of shape not snapping on the plug real tight so I replaced it with a spare and #5 boot was split on the bottom cross arcing and that clip was out of shape so I recrimped it and swapped out the EVP sensor and the code: 31 went away and it's been running smooth as silk since.

So I have a blood disorder and need to be mobile no matter what so I decided to replace the IAT sensor which IIRC has been on the BKO probably 7-8 years so for $16.99 it was time to replace it and I had swapped the EVP with a spare which is probably the one that was on the BKO 9 years ago so I bought a new one and swapped that as well.

Took it around the block several times for road test now it's runnig smooth as silk again.....so I'll keep a close watch and check codes again to be sure.....

All this after replacing a radiator cap, themostat, fan clutch and temp guage sending unit the week before because my dash temp gauge needle is off, it runs up towards hot NORMA/L and fluctuates a bit and I haven't figured that out yet, it's not over heating or running hot so it's got to be a voltage issue....IDK.....PITA..

Just on the odd chance I checked the master cylinder fluid and it looked a bit low in the reservoir so I topped it off and cleaned everything....weird.

Thanks ~
JKossarides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
GetBent4x4
Read the meme

Bronco Info: Brick Nose on 15x10s/32s with leveling coils
hmm I was thinking TFI before you posted codes.
GetBent4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
It runs nice and smooth now but still has fault codes yesterday after running errands.....the BKO is pissed off for some reason it's been running like a dream lately....IDK....

I disconnected the battery last night for a few hours to clear out codes and I'll see how it runs today....

Good Luck ~
Old 10-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Jasonhughes2009
I scrape on both sides

Bronco Info: another rig that runs on crapoline
hmm, the 2nd time my FPR went out i got the same codes, only take a few seconds to check that vacuum hose, maybe give that a shot?

i mean i did have to replace the IAT as well but gut the fpr going out was my main problem, with similar symptoms to yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyroc14 View Post
If only I could have 6 of his 32 inches!
Jasonhughes2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

I'll have to check my records to see when I last swapped in the FPR....IIRC not that long ago but it's running smoothly just had all those codes, don't know why all of a sudden the BKO is pissed off....lol lol.....I'll check codes again today after I run errands....IDK?

Thanks ~
Old 10-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

According to my records/reciepts I changed the FPR and both fuel filters back in 2010 but my DD is very low now that I'm retired, aprox. 176 per month so I'm not putting the BKO under heavy traffic load you know so it shouldn't be an issue.

When I get a chance I'll probably change both fuel filters as routine maintainance, I've got the "reservoir" style fuel filter system under the transfer case skid plate on the drivers side frame rail.....bit of a PITA but like to keep the BKO up to par.

Thanks ~
Old 11-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Ran the BKO around for a few days and checked codes again...

KOEO: 11 - 10 -11 so that's a good sign.

KOER:
code: 13 Cannot control RPM during ER Self-Test low RPM check.
code: 32 EVP circuit has intermittently failed below minimum voltage of 0.24 volts. I just replaced the EVP sensor a few weeks ago...IDK

So some the faults went away or corrected themselves....so we'll see but the BKO is running much better.

Good Luck ~
Old 11-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo BRO!
DTC 13 Cannot control RPM during ER Self-Test, low RPM & Possible Causes; "...if in Key On Engine Off test IAC did not respond properly ; vacuum leak, use garden hose section to listen for leak noise; TB base idle off- Idle Air Control (IAC) Sludge; Poor Idle TSB 91-25-07 for 85-92 Bronco & F Series & many others; air bypass valve dirty or bad..." READ MORE
Source: by miesk5 at FSB http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...=178231&page=2

DTC 32 "...in Key On Engine Off (KOEO) and Key On Engine Running (KOER) indicates that the EGR valve and/or EVP sensor voltage is lower than normal in the closed position. The EVP voltage is less than the closed limit voltage of 0.24 volts. Because of the preload of the EVP sensor it is very difficult to determine whether the EGR valve has malfunctioned or the EVP sensor has an abnormally high resistance. Possible causes: Poor continuity in EVP sensor harness or connectors. Damaged EGR valve. Damaged EVP sensor. Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Key off. Disconnect EVP sensor. Inspect the connectors at harness and sensor for damaged pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary. Remove vacuum line from EGR valve. Exercise EGR valve by applying and releasing vacuum with a vacuum pump. Reconnect vacuum line to EGR valve and electrical connector to EVP sensor. Rerun Key On Engine Off (KOEO) and Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test. Is DTC 32 or 328 still present? Yes - GO to DN26. No - The original DTC 32/328 was the result of poor continuity at the EVP sensor connector or binding of the EGR valve stem by contaminants. Testing complete

DTC 32; "...Continuous Memory DTC 332 indicates the EGR valve did not open with the engine stabilized and the EVR solenoid duty cycle present sometime during vehicle operation. Possible causes: "...Obstructed or cracked hose to EGR valve,Icing, Damaged EGR valve, Damaged EVR solenoid harness..."
Source: by Ford via SigEpBlue (Steve) at FSB

DTC 32 EVP circuit below minimum voltage of 0.24 volts; EGR Valve Position (EVP) Sensor Operation & Testing, Ford
Source: http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt19.pdf

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Thanks for the info Brother, I'll go thru this when I get a minute or so and try to figure things out, it's odd though becasue the BKO has been running like a swiss watch and all of sudden all these codes, especially when it wouldn't run when I went for gasoline ...IDK....?

I'll get back to you....

Thanks ~
Old 11-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Mike310

Bronco Info: 1995 Black on Black XLT
JK, good luck with that man, Miesk5, as always, you're the man!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
miesk5
Fullsize Member

yo Bro,
All Codes have one thAng in common; vacuum leak

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
Old 11-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

I can't see where I would have a vaccum leak but I'll put it on the check list....lol lol...it'a a never ending process.....

I'm getting ready to go into the hospital Tues. - Fri for another go around with this immune surpressant treatment to jump start the bone marrow so I've got a lot to do before I go you know...

Thanks ~
Old 11-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
Mike310

Bronco Info: 1995 Black on Black XLT
I have a vacuum gauge I interfaced on the 'T' at the manifold, I recommend it.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
miesk5
Fullsize Member

yo Bro,
GL there!
Hoping for the Best of course.

And I suggest keeping track of & record of all meds they give you; one Doc "forgot" to prescribe one very special med and I almost ended...despite giving her and ALL Nurses a printed Med List w/ med history.

Vacuum Leaks are sneaky little devils; some can be intermittent and laff at you when you hit a bump in da road.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

miesk5, I hear ya about the meds Brother, I've got a boatload to take everyday...lol lol ..PITA.....Monday's a holiday so they can't admit me until Tues a.m. so it'll be just a 4 day treatment leaving Sat morning so we'll see, this is what happened this past June.

MIke310, I actually have a SW vaccum guage someone gave me but I never got around to putting it on, do you have a picture of the TEE and where you put it etc. post it or PM me with it.

This is all going to have to wait until after I get out of the hospital, I'm still trying to finish drilling out the "rivets on the passenger side RA frame bracket so I can replace those bushings.....not a lot of energy these days you know.

Thanks Guys ~
Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
Sixlitre
Practicing Infidel

Bronco Info: 86 Eddie Bauer; EFI 5.0 liter, AOD, optimized ignition system, external tranny filter, urethane bush
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKossarides View Post
miesk5, I hear ya about the meds Brother, I've got a boatload to take everyday...lol lol ..PITA.....Monday's a holiday so they can't admit me until Tues a.m. so it'll be just a 4 day treatment leaving Sat morning so we'll see, this is what happened this past June.

MIke310, I actually have a SW vaccum guage someone gave me but I never got around to putting it on, do you have a picture of the TEE and where you put it etc. post it or PM me with it.

This is all going to have to wait until after I get out of the hospital, I'm still trying to finish drilling out the "rivets on the passenger side RA frame bracket so I can replace those bushings.....not a lot of energy these days you know.

Thanks Guys ~
JK

this vacuum tee has always served me well

{at your own peril MF'er !}

It's sold by Dorman mostly for windshield washer needs, but I've used it for vacuum advance signal on my carbed Mopars for decades.

It allows you to connect up to 3/8" hose to tiny, tiny 7/32" hoses if need be (and everything in between).

Sorry to hear your truck (and you) are running erratically. I'm still on crutches mysef', from a pinched femeral (?) nerve affecting my left leg (my good leg), knee and everything from my butt cheek down on that side.

Our marvelously expensive free medical system did dick for me. Fortunately we also have private physio clinics, which saw me the very next day and my recovery has been progressing ever since.

Good luck with you and your Bronco JK

Sixlitre
Old 11-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
miesk5
Fullsize Member

yo BRO

Vacuum Tree Location pic in an 86 5.0; in engine bay, on firewall below passenger side wiper blade
Source: by petlover07 at FSB http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...1&d=1351464756

Old 11-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

OK thanks, I've got the same set up so I'll hook it up next week, what's the procedure for vaccum timing.....?

Yeah it's not running too bad at the moment just a few wierd codes for some reason.... a buddy from the Sun. Trap Club has offered to help me finish the passenger side RA frame backet rivets, he 's got lots of tools but it looks like I may have to loosen/move the CAT in order to get in on the frame rail to put in the new bolts in so that'll be nice having that done.

Silitre sorry to hear your banged up as well getting old sucks, it's like every time I turn around now something else is wrong with my health, I've never been sick like this my whole life...ahhh the golden years....lol lol...be back home Sat. the 17th and hopefull I'll get some benefit out of this treatment this time.....PITA....

Thanks Guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech