Convert an OBD1 to OBD2? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
surveyorsteve

Bronco Info: 92 Bronco Custom with 347 Stroker
Convert an OBD1 to OBD2?

I recently rebuilt my 302 to a 347 stroker and am finding that because it's a 92, changing the speed density to mass air flow isn't possible and that converting/swapping to OBD2 is so costly that it's not worth it. I'm told that piggy backing is about my only option. Has anyone had such an experience with the 92 year? One person told me the '92 had some changes that made it a bit of an oddball. Hope someone has thoughts to help me...I got a lot of $ invested already!

Thanks in advance.
surveyorsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorsteve View Post
...because it's a 92, changing the speed density to mass air flow isn't possible...
That's wrong - anything is possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorsteve View Post
...converting/swapping to OBD2 is so costly...
How much do you think it'll cost? Click my tan CV in my signature (BELOW this post; not beside it) and read the captions in the OBD-II Conversion album.

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
surveyorsteve

Cost unknown

The mechanic didn't say how much it would cost but that it would be significantly higher that the $900 he quoted for the piggy back and dyno tune. I was also hoping to find out if there really is a problem changing the speed density to mass air flow by adding it and whatever wiring changes there may be. I looked at the link and it does seem too complicated for me to do so maybe mechanic rates make it too costly.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Steve83

Yes, these are NOT things you can afford to pay someone to do. These are DIY mods. If you can't work on your own truck, then you should try to keep it stock. If you pay this guy a grand to put some custom modification on it, and then you drive it somewhere or move away, no one else will be able to work on it.

. .
Old 11-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
surveyorsteve

Unhappy

Good Point. Because of the stoker it runes horribly so I have to do something. I guess the word is cha ching.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Why not just convert it to MAF with using a 94 computer and harness? I'm quite sure they went to MAF in that year plus it will still be OBD1.

~ Scott ~

~My Exhaust clip on YouTube ~ 212k on the odometer. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
surveyorsteve

From what I understand from another forum, it's because the 92 has a E4OD tranny and it is controlled by the Speed Density unit. Otherwise I think your correct. I bought the wrong year I guess. :o( I doubt you can run the speed density for the tranny and the rest on MAF. Be sweet if I could.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
But the 94's would also have the E4OD, and you would just swap the harnesses and computers. I don't think you would have to worry. Just go do some shopping at the JY.

~ Scott ~

~My Exhaust clip on YouTube ~ 212k on the odometer. Now my daily driver once again. ~
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
surveyorsteve

Sounds like my plan. Thanks. I know I can add the MAF meter to my system easily 'cause I have a K&N Cold Air Intake. So maybe it will be that simple. :o)
Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
jopes
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
What cam did you use?

If the cam is speed density friendly the fastest way to fix this is to toss in a 351w's ECM and call it good.

Let's Go Fishing.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco 5.8 DD, 88 Bronco motorless Mudder
fireguy has some nice wiring harnesses on his site http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/. ull have to get a PCM on ebay or something tho

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
Kingfish999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes View Post
What cam did you use?

If the cam is speed density friendly the fastest way to fix this is to toss in a 351w's ECM and call it good.
this ^

is a great point too

~ Scott ~

Old 11-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
surveyorsteve

Comp Cam (roller) 512 lift
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
jopes
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
Part number.

That info u gave is not going to help any

Let's Go Fishing.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
surveyorsteve

Comp Cam
Part # 35-349-8
Grind # FW XE264HR-14

Is that what you're looking for?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
Steve83

You're confusing yourself, and the issue. Does your engine run badly? Fix it. Don't complicate it by trying to hide one problem with another. Why did you put a stroker in if it you can't make it run right? Put a STOCK engine in, and get back to driving. It's cheaper, easier, more reliable, and more useable. A stroker is worthless if it doesn't run better than stock, and it sounds like yours DOESN'T.

There's nothing special about a '92, and anything that can be done to a '93 can be done to yours. Wherever you're getting all this misinformation, STOP GOING THERE. The trans has NOTHING TO DO with how the engine runs; it doesn't care if the engine is MAP, MAF, or a turboshaft. So stop worrying about it. If you have an EEC that will control the engine you have, and the trans you have, you're done. You don't have to fret over what kind of engine the trans was originally running with.

But if you can't personally do a MAF swap, then you certainly don't need to pay someone else to do it for you, making you permanently dependent on him to maintain it. A stock engine will run better, make more power & torque, and give better MPG than a stroker that doesn't run right. It'll also LAST LONGER... ...and cost less to maintain & operate. Do you want to spend all your money & time ferrying your truck to & from a shop so that you can say "I have a stroker! ", or would you rather spend it ENJOYING driving the truck?

. .
Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #17
surveyorsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
You're confusing yourself, and the issue. Does your engine run badly? Fix it. Don't complicate it by trying to hide one problem with another. Why did you put a stroker in if it you can't make it run right? Put a STOCK engine in, and get back to driving. It's cheaper, easier, more reliable, and more useable. A stroker is worthless if it doesn't run better than stock, and it sounds like yours DOESN'T.

There's nothing special about a '92, and anything that can be done to a '93 can be done to yours. Wherever you're getting all this misinformation, STOP GOING THERE. The trans has NOTHING TO DO with how the engine runs; it doesn't care if the engine is MAP, MAF, or a turboshaft. So stop worrying about it. If you have an EEC that will control the engine you have, and the trans you have, you're done. You don't have to fret over what kind of engine the trans was originally running with.

But if you can't personally do a MAF swap, then you certainly don't need to pay someone else to do it for you, making you permanently dependent on him to maintain it. A stock engine will run better, make more power & torque, and give better MPG than a stroker that doesn't run right. It'll also LAST LONGER... ...and cost less to maintain & operate. Do you want to spend all your money & time ferrying your truck to & from a shop so that you can say "I have a stroker! ", or would you rather spend it ENJOYING driving the truck?
That's a moot point as putting the stock back in is silly when I already have $6k into a stroker that, unbeknownst to me, needs more than a piggyback to run its best. If I understand you correctly, the fact that the E4OD is controlled by the speed density unit (which seems to negate the use of MAF as it will do away with the Speed Density) means nothing. Now I'm really confused. I would be money ahead to put in a different tranny and convert the whole thing to OBD2/MAF as to throw away the stroker and rebuild a stock 5.0.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #18
GetBent4x4
Read the meme

Bronco Info: Brick Nose on 15x10s/32s with leveling coils
E4od was used on maf vehicles. It was used past the 96 body style. Trans has nothing to do with it. You need the engine bay wiring harness and ecu from a 96 302 for obd2 maf.
GetBent4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #19
surveyorsteve

Thanks. I'll will start looking for that tomorrow. I was led to believe that the E40D couldn't be used with MAF, only Speed Density. Between you and the other posters, I guess that is wrong so I now have a direction to go. Thank you all. This is a great forum.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #20
Seattle FSB
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1990 EB FSB, MAF, 6.7L, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 4.56, 33" on 15x10 Alcoa's
You do not need OBD-II.

I converted to MAF by using a 1995 F150 MAF E4OD computer, repinning the existing harness, fitting a Mass Air Sensor onto my existing K&N Air Tube and rewiring for a Remote Mount CCD TFI Ignition Control Module. I addressed my Intake Manifold Mounted ACT Sensor in my tune instead of moving it to the MAF pre-sensor airbox location. All this with the existing wiring harness with the inclusion of the RJM Injection Technologies MAF Upgrade Harness. And you get to stay with the single Oxygen Sensor.

In other words, a few correct parts and a little repinning. This can be as complicated as you make it (ie EEC-IV OBD-I 60-pin PCM, EEC-V OBD-II 104-pin PCM). For simplicity, you will need a new MAF/E4OD OBD-I truck computer (WAY1, VEX1, U4X0), 75mm Calibrated MAF Sensor, MAF Upgrade Harness and a MAF Airbox unless you will custom tune. Hopefully your new distributor is already set up for the remote mount CCD ICM.

See this link:

MAF Upgrade - Lessons Learned Thread

Seattle FSB 408 Stroker Build

SD to MAF Computer Pin-Out Reference
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!