Heater Hose ? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Cheesehead

Bronco Info: 1988 XLT 5.0l w/AOD & Rebuilt BW1356
Heater Hose ?

I've got a leaking heater hose and am looking to find out if I can just replace the hose with some bulk 5/8" heater hose or if I need a specific pre-formed hose. I have searched but can't find any part numbers. So here is the hose I am looking for.

[IMG][/IMG]

If you look at #6 (which is actually the throttle body assembly) you will see a heater hose that comes from the "t" and goes to the water pump. This is the hose in question. Can I just buy some length of hose to replace or will I need a pre-formed hose? Also are the "t's" still available? I might as well replace that as pm before I have another on the road leak.
Cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
If you can fit it without kinking, bulk hose is fine. I doubt you can find a T with an undersized nipple for the throttle body heater, so try to save the original. If yours is gone, you'll probably have to build one from brass fittings.

. .
Steve83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
If you can fit it without kinking, bulk hose is fine. I doubt you can find a T with an undersized nipple for the throttle body heater, so try to save the original. If yours is gone, you'll probably have to build one from brass fittings.
Thanks Steve!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
GetBent4x4
Read the meme

Bronco Info: Brick Nose on 15x10s/32s with leveling coils
you'll have to hack off the fitting on the line that runs ontop of the radiator. Then just slide the hose on and clamp.
GetBent4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo,
Coolant Line & By-pass reducer & Tee (one leg runs to throttle body) info & pics in a 90; "...An Agriculture Supply shop that builds custom crop sprayers had high temp plastic. One 1/2 inch T and one 1/2" to 3/8" coupler, new hoses, and new clamps..."
Source: by Supersanbob (Super Bronco) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/17162/64929

Coolant Line From Radiator to Throttle Body Splice Video in an 86 5.0

Source: by JKossarides ("The Bronco", Jean)

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Madcat455

Bronco Info: 89 XLT daily driver
I used bulk hose for all of mine, except for the T-stat bypass.

I just took the Throttle body heater out, don't need it here in Southern FL... lol.
Madcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Cheesehead

Well after tearing out all my old heater lines to replace I found the bulk line had a slight kink in it where it attached to the water pump. So I figured I would just get a formed hose from the local automotive store. This is where I had issues. I could not find the same hose shape as the one that was on my truck.

Here is a question for all you 5.0l owners. It seems either I have the wrong hose installed (or did!) or the ones the parts store call for are incorrect.

This is a image of what was installed on my 5.0L (Goodyear 63076) -

This is a picture of what the parts catalogs call for (Goodyear #64314) -

So what on do you have on your 5.0? Just to clarify this is the line from the water pump to the tee. Then the tee goes to the throttle body (3/8" hose) and then to the firewall (5/8" hose).

Well further searching found the GY 63076 used was used on E150 5.0L's in '88. Also on F150 5.8L's in '87. But no mention of Bronco's? I suppose my engine could have been swapped. Or maybe the factory had installed the 63076 (the old hose does have a motorcraft part number on it).
Old 11-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Steve83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
...the bulk line had a slight kink in it where it attached to the water pump. So I figured I would just get a formed hose...
What if you used enough hose to make a loop in the other direction, relieving the kink? Would it cost less than the formed hose? Would it fit more easily? Would it be easier than going through 10 wrong formed hoses to find the right one?

. .
Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Seattle FSB
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1990 EB FSB, MAF, 6.7L, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 4.56, 33" on 15x10 Alcoa's
I guess I am confused on why you even need that specific tee.

Get rid of the tee and extend your heater core return hose directly to the water pump. Isolate your throttle body coolant line directly from the ECT Tee. Look at your ECT Tee located on the Intake Manifold. Does it have a nipple for 3/8" hose that would go directly to the Throttle Body? Just takes an 3/8" "L" shaped hose. If not get, or make the ECT tee that has 1/2" ECT threads, 1/2" heater core nipple and a 3/8" throttle body nipple. Or go the junk yard an rob one.

There are other threads on this. See: 87 Bronco 5.0 rebuild

Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
What if you used enough hose to make a loop in the other direction, relieving the kink? Would it cost less than the formed hose? Would it fit more easily? Would it be easier than going through 10 wrong formed hoses to find the right one?
There's just not enough room between the water pump outlet and the alternator bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle FSB View Post
I guess I am confused on why you even need that specific tee.

Get rid of the tee and extend your heater core return hose directly to the water pump. Isolate your throttle body coolant line directly from the ECT Tee. Look at your ECT Tee located on the Intake Manifold. Does it have a nipple for 3/8" hose that would go directly to the Throttle Body? Just takes an 3/8" "L" shaped hose. If not get, or make the ECT tee that has 1/2" ECT threads, 1/2" heater core nipple and a 3/8" throttle body nipple. Or go the junk yard an rob one.

There are other threads on this. See: 87 Bronco 5.0 rebuild

Is this the way it comes from the factory? I see your running the goodyear Hi-miller hose. In your 5th picture where you show the line I'm talking about, are you using a formed end to attach to the water pump? Also it appears to be running towards the back of the engine not up and over the alternator like mine was routed. Where do you have the line come out to go into the firewall?

Is there any advantages to running the line the way you have them?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Steve83

It's easier if you ONLY quote the pic you're referring to. It doesn't matter how the hose is routed - it just has to connect the heater core & water pump. If you can't make it happen with a single hose, get some bendable copper 5/8" tubing and make something like the later V8s got from the factory; an intermediate hard section that bolts to the alternator, and uses a short piece of rubber off the WP.

. .
Old 11-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
Seattle FSB
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1990 EB FSB, MAF, 6.7L, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 4.56, 33" on 15x10 Alcoa's
The hose off of the water pump is a bypass hose from the thermostat housing. It only goes a few inches and does not go to the rear of the engine. The upper disconnected hose at the front of the engine goes from the ECT Tee to the lower throttle body.

The upper throttle body hose goes to the hard line that crosses on top of the radiator back to the radiator fill stem. You can clearly see this in the below photo. If you do not have this hard line or a radiator fill stem nipple, you will then have to use the tee on the heater core return line. My 1994 does not have this hard cross over line and uses the tee. You have a 1988 which I though was more similar to my 1990.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 AM   #13
Seattle FSB
Fullsize Member

So my coolant system goes like this...

The Heater Core has two 5/8" lines, one to the lower water pump 5/8" nipple and the other to the 12" long hard line connected to the ECT Tee. The water pump bypass goes from the upper water pump 5/8" nipple to the thermostat housing nipple. The lower 3/8" Throttle Body coolant line goes to the ECT Tee. The upper 3/8" Throttle Body coolant line goes to either a tee at the 12" long hard line to the ECT Tee or to a hard line accross the top of the Radiator ending at a 3/8" Radiator Fill Stem nipple.

Hard Line from Heater Core to ECT Tee

Line from Heater Core to Water Pump

Water Pump Bypass

Lower Throttle Body Coolant line to ECT Tee

Upper Throttle Body Coolant line to Radiator Fill Stem
Old 11-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Cheesehead

Thanks for all those pic.s Seattle.

Let me see if I can explain my setup.....

My line from the water pump to heater core (5/8" no metal line) is ran with the above mentioned hose #63076 to above the alternator where it tees of to a 3/8" line to the upper throttle body and a 5/8" line continues to the heater core. I do not have a line on my radiator or. I do have the tee on the ect. That line goes to the bottom of the throttle body. Whether this was factory or done some time after the factory I do not know. I have all the necessary hoses to replace them the way they were in my truck. So this is my plan unless I hear a reason why this will not work.

Similar to my setup-
As seen here courtesy of Sixlitre

Last edited by Cheesehead; 11-22-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: correct some information
Old 11-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
Cheesehead

Just in case someone searches and finds this thread the 5/8" x 3/8" x 5/8" tee is made by Dorman (Product #47147). I believe Goodyear makes one as well.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
Steve83

Posting the critical info at the end of a thread?

I wish more people would do that!

. .
Old 11-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #17
Ryan87LX

Bronco Info: 89 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AOD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Just in case someone searches and finds this thread the 5/8" x 3/8" x 5/8" tee is made by Dorman (Product #47147). I believe Goodyear makes one as well.
I know this is the same thing, but in case anyone doesn't know, that Dorman number is available in the HELP! section of your auto parts store.
Ryan87LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #18
Cheesehead

I took advantage of maybe the last 60 degree day (Thanksgiving Day) here in Michigan this year and replaced all my heating/cooling lines. I know how everyone loves pic.s so here ya go..

Old 11-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #19
Alvin in AZ
AKA: Butthead

Bronco Info: '91 RoadQueen 351w-2wd-ZF camtiming+4* 265/75-16E's dual Ranchos F&R, SuperCab bench seat EEC=F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcat455 View Post
I just took the Throttle body heater out, don't need it here in Southern FL... lol.
Yeah that's cool, but. :)

That's not a throttle body heater it's a throttle body -cooler-.
The throttle body doesn't get cold like a carburetor.

If you've still got your Exhaust Gas Recirculator hooked up
and it's working, it is -heating-up- the TB with exhaust gas.

Alvin in AZ
Alvin in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
Madcat455

Bronco Info: 89 XLT daily driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin in AZ View Post
Yeah that's cool, but. :)

That's not a throttle body heater it's a throttle body -cooler-.
The throttle body doesn't get cold like a carburetor.

If you've still got your Exhaust Gas Recirculator hooked up
and it's working, it is -heating-up- the TB with exhaust gas.

Alvin in AZ
lol.... Never knew that, thanks. Luckily I blocked the EGR long ago, so I'm no worse for wear.

thanks...
Madcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!