C-6 labours reverse and starting - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
aussiebko
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 84 Prius offset vehicle
C-6 labours reverse and starting

Lately my c-6 Which (hasn't done that many miles) is really struggling when first starting and any time I'm in reverse. It's not like its revving the engine really hard, I can put my foot flat to the boards and in reverse it feels like I'm trying to start in 3rd on a hill. Any ideas?
The torque converter was not changed when the transmission went in but I have a new one sitting in the garage. Fluid level is fine also.

Cheers,

Stu
aussiebko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
aussiebko
Fullsize Member

Would improper tension on the band cause this?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiebko View Post
Would improper tension on the band cause this?
Has it been adjusted recently? How long ago was the trans put in and did this issue exist then?

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 213k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
aussiebko
Fullsize Member

Had a service maybe 2000mi ago. I'm assuming the band Was torqued up then but was under the impression it doesn't affect 1st or reverse. The transmission has done maybe 10-12k miles and the problem did not exist then. I don't think it is band slippage (guessing) as the revs don't go sky high compared to the amount I drive I get. It's more of a really laboured sluggish drive.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
The band is for 3rd gear to engage. It tightens the drum to keep it from spinning to lower the gear ratio. If the band was applied during 1st gear, it acts as a brake. I know this from having one too tight after a rebuild once.

It could be that the trans is starting in 3rd gear, which could be the governer is stuck. This is located on the output shaft.

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 213k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
aussiebko
Fullsize Member

Will a stuck governor cause the sluggish reverse?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
r-clar

Bronco Info: 78 bronco
No a stuck governer should not cause that. I would check the intermediate beamed adjustment just to be safe. If to tight could drag and cause issues. How are the other shifts?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #8
aussiebko
Fullsize Member

All the shifts are fine. I decided to install a Hurst V-matic that I bought a while back. The column shift always felt sloppy and I was thinking its possible that the gears were not properly selected which caused some slipping on inclines. Im clutching at straws here but it costs nothing.
A few hours ago selected reverse with the linkage cable disconnected and it didn't appear sluggish backing down my drive. I'll see if the new shifter makes any difference at all I guess.
I've also read that vac signal dictates the clutch application pressure. Not sure if this is true but if it is maybe I should be checking the modulator and also looking for vacuum leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!