Aod or road - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
george_c

Bronco Info: 1985 Bronco XLT built 351w roller block F4TE, AOD-W, 9-inch with 3.50 gears
Aod or road

I am switching my c-6 for an overdrive automatic. I drive only on the weekends and it is all on pavement usually highway or back roads. About three times a year I tow about 4000lbs. I read on here the aod is a good od transmission. As I read more about all the upgrades I am starting to think road with baumann engineering controller. The questions is going to be rebuild costs on one transmission verse the other.

Is the wide pattern gears worth the cost for a big vehicle like a bronco?

I want torque converter lock up so a one pies input shaft is out for the aod. How much hp will the two piece input hold?

See my signature for the vehicle this will being going into. Carb intake,edelbrock rpm heads, headers abs three inch exhaust.
george_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
j. r. Nice
Forward Some Money

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco, 5.8, MAF, Summit shorties, Bassani SS, AOD, Tru-trac posi, Stocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by george_c View Post
I am switching my c-6 for an overdrive automatic. I drive only on the weekends and it is all on pavement usually highway or back roads. About three times a year I tow about 4000lbs. I read on here the aod is a good od transmission. As I read more about all the upgrades I am starting to think road with baumann engineering controller. The questions is going to be rebuild costs on one transmission verse the other.

Is the wide pattern gears worth the cost for a big vehicle like a bronco?

I want torque converter lock up so a one pies input shaft is out for the aod. How much hp will the two piece input hold?

See my signature for the vehicle this will being going into. Carb intake,edelbrock rpm heads, headers abs three inch exhaust.
I did a tech write-up on a C-6 to AOD swap. HERE I didn't address the issues you raise regarding the TC and lock-up/vs non. I am not a transmission expert, but IIRC, a trans shop indicated a lockup was not good for an AOD. I thought it was because of the weak OD.

Something to consider, the 3.50 gear will "lug" the engine unless you drive over 80. Mine casually shifts into OD at 45. It's a pretty good speed, and does shift higher under load or WOT. If you are going to haul/tow, I would highly recommend a gear swap to something steeper. At about 1750rpm I am "cruising" at ~ 82. I haven't done the math to figure out what I really want.

In hindsight I would install the 4R70W gearset without hesitation. I have it in my early Bronco and it makes take-offs quicker. It might also make the 3.50:1 tolerable.

I don't think the AOD requires a separate controller. E4OD, yes

Photobucket Album ....and a crap load of pictures....
j. r. Nice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
george_c

Bronco Info: 1985 Bronco XLT built 351w roller block F4TE, AOD-W, 9-inch with 3.50 gears
Read your write up it very informative. The more I read the more aim convinced the wide range gears are the way to. But at 400 for the conversion kit the aode is looking to be a cheaper swap since it has that gear set already.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
BigWheelz

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco, 466 EFI
Or find a 4R70W in the bone yard and scavenge the gearset / parts yourself.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
j. r. Nice
Forward Some Money

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco, 5.8, MAF, Summit shorties, Bassani SS, AOD, Tru-trac posi, Stocker
Either case I would be prepared to do a gear change on the differentials. Had I not just done mine I would be on it like stink. I didn't plan on swapping to the AOD when I did the frame off. I got a sweet deal on mine so it hastened it. I am considering swapping the 4R70W gearset this year, possibly with a diff change too.

If I lived when I could drive 80-90 on long trips.....it might stay. It's great having a top speed of 451 mph

BTW, I dont even know what vehicles had the 4R70W set.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
george_c

I am really thinking about the aod wide ratio gears. The more I read the more I think the 4R70W internals in the AOD are the way to go. If I buy an AOD and a 4R70W and take it to a transmission shop would they know how to do the swap? Is it hard? Just weighing my option since the Ford Racing AOD wide ratio kit is obsolete and the junkyards around me charge $100 for any transmission (AOD, 4R70W, what ever).
Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
j. r. Nice
Forward Some Money

I would certainly think any competent trans shop can do it. Can't be hard, just replacing parts. No machining required. Man, I really wish mine had this set. I got a really good deal on my PATC trans, so maybe I will do it sooner than later. It made a real difference (feel) in the low end performance of my early Bronco. On my '89 without it, the 1st -2nd shift comes quick and doesn't feel like a real gear change. Again, I wouldn't hesitate.
I would also consider a hardened input shaft. Not that you are going to be abusing it, but it can be a weak point.

my source for new 4R70W gearset......(about $400)
http://www.broaderperformance.com/fo...gear-kit-.html

Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco 5.8 DD, 88 Bronco motorless Mudder
if you have a carb go AOD and build it strong. AODs are medium duty trannys vs a C6 which is heavy duty

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
Kingfish999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
r-clar

Bronco Info: 78 bronco
I would go with the wide ratio kit. Easy to do. If the Trans shop gives you some bs about it being difficult keep looking. Should be able to use all the internals from 4r70w into the AOD case. Just get yourself a boneyard 4r70 for the parts. I did the same for my c6 wide ratio kit from a diesel 4r100.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
george_c

Does the 4R70W have to be able to bolt to a windsor? I have read that 1996-2001 explorers may have a 4R70W. Does the 4R70W have to be 4x4 since it is going into a 4x4 AOD?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
jermil01
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweecer tuned
Could be wrong, but I think the 4R70W was only found behind 2 wheel drive rigs.

Vote 4 Top 4x4 Site!!!
jermil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
j. r. Nice
Forward Some Money

Again, not a trans expert, but the gearset is an internal piece and it doesn't matter what the drive configuration is (2x or 4x). Whatever configuration it is going into, it needs to have THAT tailshaft and extension housing. Don't think it matters about the bellhousing (block config.) either.

The early Bronco I have with AOD/4R70W gearset is 4x4. behind a 302 / 5.0.

BTW, the used one I saw was 2wd.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
george_c

Any body heard of Transmission Depot?

I was lookings at this:

http://www.transdepot.net/AOD-Ford-T...atio_p_48.html

I think I would go with a lower stall. Since it is a lock up converter I could have a stall higher than highway cruise speed? Even with a lock up do I need a stall converter lower than highway cruise speed?

In my c-6 I have a 2500 stall and I like it alot, really helps the big truck get moving, but with the wide gear ratio do I still need this? My 70mph rpm is going to be about 2000 rpm.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
george_c

So bought this transmission

http://www.transdepot.net/AOD-Ford-T...atio_p_48.html

I looked at monster trans but they wanted $550 additional for the wide gear setup and would only give a 90 day warranty on it.

I bought the TV cable/bracket and holley linkage. I bought a flex plate for 351 and aod. I bought an 1800-2100 lockup stall converter. The owner of Transdepot, Dan, was very knowledgable.

Will my stock C-6 shifter linkage work with and AOD or do I need to go to the JY and get a set?
Old 12-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
george_c

The transmission say it has a valve body that can be shifted automatically or manually. If I can shift it manually could I use an eaod shift indicator which has the pattern p, r, n, od, d, 2, 1.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
TS 90F150

Bronco Info: 1990 F150, 5.8 w/GT40X heads, Lightning intake, E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by george_c View Post
The transmission say it has a valve body that can be shifted automatically or manually. If I can shift it manually could I use an eaod shift indicator which has the pattern p, r, n, od, d, 2, 1.
You can use whatever gear indicator you please. The transmission will not know the difference.

The E4OD indicator is actually: P R N (D) 2 1

tim
TS 90F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #17
GetBent4x4
Read the meme

Bronco Info: Brick Nose on 15x10s/32s with leveling coils
You won't notice the difference of the AOD unless you drive on interstates. I do 80 mph no problem on the interstate for hours on end with a stock aod. It's no e4od in shift department, but it's not bad for how cheap you can buy an aod rig.
GetBent4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!