Transmission woes - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
inteva6184

Bronco Info: 1989 5.0 xlt aod 6" lift 33's
Transmission woes

Just looking for some opinions on whats wrong with my trans. Long story short I trashed my last motor it sat for about 8 months I just got around to putting a new one in and now 1st gear slips. It has enough trans fluid and if I drive like a old man it shifts fine. If I floor it from a stand still it slips and sometimes makes a chattering grinding kind of noise. It shifts into second without issue and doesnt slip at all. What im wondering is why would it suddenly start slipping in first after sitting for 8 months do you think it will start working correctly after I drive it a bit? Thanks
inteva6184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
JBfab

Bronco Info: 94 C150 prerunner 351/zf/maf. To many mods to list.
Did you hook up the atv cable properly? And anytime something of mine sits i do a fluid/filter change. You never know what kind of moisture can find its way in.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
The AOD is a very easy transmission to service with fluid and filter kit, shouldn't cost any more then $30--40.00 at most for fluid and filter kit so at that price it would hurt to change it, an hour from start to clean up IMO, make sure all the bolt holes on the pan lip are flat not dimpled causing any leaks from over torquing.

I like to use RTV Ultra Copper sealer for the pan gasket because it sets up quickly and won't move around on you when you put it back, again so there are no leaks leak.

You can get the two bolts straight out at the back of the pan using a 13/32" socket, small ratchet, hand turn etc. http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/676395

Use two tie wraps on the last two pan side bolt holes towards the back to control drainage and minimze the mess, easy peasy. I have a 25 gallon storage tub that fits underneath nicley.

There's also a simple adjustment (Haynes Manual) you can perfom underneath on the drivers side to insure the column shift linkage is in sync with the transmission, over time bushings can get sloppy, key on engine off pulling the column shifter down into the fisrt (D) position secure it so it can move, going underneath losen the column shift linkage "BOLT" just enough to click the transmission "TAB" all the way back until it stops, 2 clicks forward then tighten the "BOLT" place back in P turn off the key and now the PRNDDL in is sync.

Make sure all the u-joints fittings are torqued and greased it will make take off and shifting smoother if there are any issues being loose.

Use this video as reference to adjust the TV cable up above it's very important it's done right or you'll burn up the transmission in no time...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

DO NOT USE use any type of transmission "flush" as you may disturb the particulate built up in the fluid inside keeping the transmission working if you have high mileage on it, just keep it topped off.

Good Luck ~
JKossarides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
inteva6184

Great info guys. I will keep you updated as I work on it.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
inteva6184

I adjusted the tv cable and the thing shifts and runs great. I guess when I removed it I knocked it out of adjustment. Thanks alot.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
Glad you got it sorted out easily.....lol lol ~
Old 11-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Bump ~ Dupe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!