New BDS Lift with a bad rumble. - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Templedh54

New BDS Lift with a bad rumble.

I just took delivery of my Bronco that had a 6" BDS lift installed.

The Shop that did it is a great shop and reputable. I feel they are good guys and probably did a good job. I like them a lot!

As soon as I pulled out of the lot I felt a very noticeable rumble and shaking that remained there from 3 mph to pretty much every speed. It kinda sounds and feels like you are going over the rumble strips on the side of the highway but maybe not so severe. You feel it in the seat and in the steering wheel and when you are not applying the breaks.

The Bronco was a really nice 1995 with only 92,000 miles on it. I just drove it across the state and it rode like brand new and super quiet with zero shakes.
The same tires are on it as before the lift.

So to say the least I was hugely disappointing. It still needs an alignment and I am hoping that takes care of the problem but am skeptical.

They rebuilt the rear drive shaft for $300 and I am wondering if they knew about the rumble and thought that would cure it.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the issue or what I should have them look into. Another description of the vibration is that it feels like something is leaning against the tire knobies as the wheel turns making a rumbling vibration.

Thanks!
Templedh54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
96XLTJD

Go get it aligned with the NEW tires, you're taken it WAY out of alignment, it's gonna ride funny on the side of the tires.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
f150inline

Bronco Info: f150
^this
Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Ewgoetz
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 EB Bronco 5.8, E4OD, BW1356 Transfercase, 6 inch BDS Lift w/Procomp Leafs, 200,010Miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96XLTJD View Post
Go get it aligned with the NEW tires, you're taken it WAY out of alignment, it's gonna ride funny on the side of the tires.
+1
Ewgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Location: Northcentral,CA.Twain Harte, up here in the mountains
Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
Take it back to the shop

I take Prayer Requests. God Bless
LarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
Templedh54

Sounds like I am premature in worrying! At least that's the only thing!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
mkinsman

Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco, Eddie Bauer Maroon/Tan, 5.8 6in lift with 35 " kumho mt's (craigslist special)
a good shop test drives after doing an install like that and fixes the problem, just saying
mkinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #8
robbiem

Bronco Info: 02 f250 ccsb 7.3l 4x4 & 96 5.0 xlt
I would bet your rear pinion angle is off. Use shims to correct it.
robbiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
I would bet your rear pinion angle is off. Use shims to correct it.
The shop needs to use shims to fix it if that's it.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
THOROUGHBRED
one, two, buckle my

Bronco Info: '93 FSB XLT REBUILT 351w WITH ALL NEW STUFF, 33's, AN RUST
you did turn around and take it right back to the shop?

even tho you say they are nice guys,which im sure they are, they probably wont cover you neglegently driving truck knowing something was wrong as soon as you pulled out of the lot.

if you havent already, id go back sooner than later
THOROUGHBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOROUGHBRED View Post
you did turn around and take it right back to the shop?

even tho you say they are nice guys,which im sure they are, they probably wont cover you neglegently driving truck knowing something was wrong as soon as you pulled out of the lot.

if you havent already, id go back sooner than later
X2

Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
CrazyBRONCOguy
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: See Signature
agreed on taking it back to the shop.
Something else is wrong there i think. After I lifted mine, I drove it to the alignment shop with no vibrations or anything. My tires where like this \ / and I am sure the toe was off too. My truck also had 180k on it when it was lifted, so I am sure yours should be in better shape then mine as far as wear on the steering components.

'92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W, MAF, SCT Tune, 4" Exhaust, 18" Weld Wheels, 4" Lift
'78 Custom- 4" Superflex Lift, Mild 460, 8 Point Cage, 4.10 Gears, 35" MTZ's, WildHorses Steering & Trac Bar
'96 F250- Tow Rig, 460, E4OD Punisher Valve Body, Triple Piler Gauges
'05 Excursion- V10, Warn Hubs, Coffin Muffler, Volant CAI
'92 F150, '79 F250, '86 Mustang, '95 Thunderbird, '08 DS450, '01 Banshee, '86 TRX250R
CrazyBRONCOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
Templedh54

For sure I called them in less than 5 minutes after leaving the shop. He said that we would get the new tires on and then get it aligned as a starting point. Then look into the vibration.

I also own a small business that produces sometimes finicky products. I just want to be careful in dealing with the shop because I understand how hard it can be when customers are not satisfied or something was not completed correctly.

However, I do believe that they need to make it right, no doubt about it! I just want to work with them rather than against them. I think that is a good tip for everyone!

But the vibration is totally unacceptable! Thanks for all the tips! I feel better educated about the situation!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
Templedh54

Your going to love this!

I take back everything nice I had to say.

So the rumbling growl started to really concern me. So this morning I called the shop and very nicely and pleasantly asked if I could stop buy to let the owner do a 3-5 minute test drive (Friday). I told him I just wanted him to know what I was talking about before too much time had gone by.

Well with some awkward and defensive silence he said he was too busy today and that I should come back on Monday.

I may be wrong, but the writing is on the wall. It seems like he has my money ($2200) and 5 minutes is way too much time to ask him to troubleshoot a faulty install. After I hung up I just about went through the roof! Right then and there I wanted nothing more to do with this guy!

I took the Bronco to the other local 4X4 shop and they pulled a mechanic out of the shop and gladly gave me a test drive. I totally disclosed the situation to them. The said that it was definitely not the alignment and that the rear needed different shims to align the drive shaft which was instantly visible as being incorrect to him.

The said they could take care of it for $45 in better shims and 1 hour of labor. I said DONE!

By the way, the previous shop charged me $300 for a drive shaft rebuild that was probably not the necessary and then charged me $60 for EACH shim they replaced totaling $120. :<

All that owner needed to do is say, "Sure, Come on in and we will take care of it!" and I would have been happy! As you can tell, I try to be nice and reasonable, which in this case got me screwed. I can't even stomach looking at this guys shop!

A note to shop owners: Customers simply want a quality job for a reasonable price. If you get upset when customers are not satisfied with work that is not completed properly, then please get another job and close shop. Your work and customer satisfaction should start at time of payment not end there! Reasonable customers are typically willing to work with you to get the job done right but you must put your best foot forward and be proud of your work!

So That's the end of the story. I am even going to have the new shop re-torque the lift bolts. I don't trust this other guy at all.

TIP OF THE DAY: Test drive your rig before you make final payment! I was stupid not to!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
EODRay

Bronco Info: 1988 Ford Bronco XLT 351W, ignition upgrade and some interior mods.
Now that you have confirmed that they didn't take care of you or have good customer service.....I would throw their name out there to help protect others.

Glad you got it fixed fairly cheap.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #16
JBfab

Bronco Info: 94 C150 prerunner 351/zf/maf. To many mods to list.
^x2 let us all know the shop name and location.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
Templedh54

I thought about putting the name out there but here is why I don't.

There might be a chance that the guy is having an off day. Maybe his kid or wife got diagnosed with cancer, maybe he is getting a divorce or something is happening in his life that is causing him to not behave properly. If I knew for sure that he was a total ass then I would put the shop name up in an instant. But I just don't know all the facts, at least not enough to damn the guy.

That does not excuse him from his actions toward me and I will never go back but we need to be careful of malicious slander.

What I will say is that I live in Western Washington. The new shop that is helping me out seems to be full of very nice and professional guys. And the prices seem right. That shop is Northridge 4X4.

I hope that is fair to everyone!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #18
EODRay

Bronco Info: 1988 Ford Bronco XLT 351W, ignition upgrade and some interior mods.
Wow, you are a nice guy! Good enough for me.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
CrazyBRONCOguy
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: See Signature
yeah I would take the estimate or bill back to the other shop and ask them to pay for it. At least show them what they did wrong.

'92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W, MAF, SCT Tune, 4" Exhaust, 18" Weld Wheels, 4" Lift
'78 Custom- 4" Superflex Lift, Mild 460, 8 Point Cage, 4.10 Gears, 35" MTZ's, WildHorses Steering & Trac Bar
'96 F250- Tow Rig, 460, E4OD Punisher Valve Body, Triple Piler Gauges
'05 Excursion- V10, Warn Hubs, Coffin Muffler, Volant CAI
'92 F150, '79 F250, '86 Mustang, '95 Thunderbird, '08 DS450, '01 Banshee, '86 TRX250R
CrazyBRONCOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #20
Templedh54

I might do that. But all they will say is that they never got the chance to fix it themselves and they don't need to pay.

The whole idea of bad customer service, I think, is over their head! I don't think they will even know what i am talking about nor will they care. Hence the problem in the first place.

I'm cutting my losses! $200 to a better shop and peace of mind is priceless! I don't want these guys to bother me anymore than they already have.

Going into Northridge 4X4 was a breath of fresh air and made me feel really comfortable! It won't be long until Northridge gets all the business in town. The atmosphere is totally different in a great way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!