E4OD Problem? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
speed24

Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco XL 5.8
E4OD Problem?

Hello all, I have a 1995 Bronco, 351, E4OD. It is all stock except for 33" M/T tires. I have a whine while in first gear. This just started last week. Also it sometimes struggles to go into reverse. I have to hit the gas and then it will slam into reverse. Very rarely I also get a different sound that sounds like something whipping around hitting things as it goes around. Any help identifying what the problem is would be very much appreciated. I will try to get a video of the noise later.
speed24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
rla2005

Welcome to FSB!

This is the first step: http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Your transmission is 100% electronic controlled. Start with what the computer thinks may be wrong.
rla2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
speed24

I pulled the codes and none of them involve the transmission. The only codes were for the egr. Here is a video of the noise I hear at during start-up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAuRSun6peQ Here is a video of the noise I hear when I am driving it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW0aoWrpeZA It seems like its coming from the front of the transmission, so maybe its either the pump or torque converter. There is no slipping when I am driving. Thanks for the help
Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
351w500
Ok, Ill admit it's Vagish

Bronco Info: '90 xlt 351w E40D Truetrac I GOT ROLLER ROCKERS !
Could the flexplate be cracked or loose ?
351w500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
speed24

Not sure, I think I'm going to pull the trans soon any check everything.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
speed24

I drove my truck this morning around the block and the noise wasn't bad. Anybody have any ideas what would cause the intermittent noise? I checked the tranny fluid and it was full, though there was air bubbles in the fluid on the dipstick. Anybody know what could cause that? If I can't find a solution I will begin pulling the transmission tomorrow. Thanks for the help
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
garymunson

Bronco Info: 93 XLT, 5.8, E4OD, manual Xfer & hubs
Ouch...tranny noise is never good. Most people here have shift problems that are usually cause by worn out fluid (Ford uses a fluid that has an additive that the tranny relies on for proper operating). Noise usually indicates some hard part like the planetary gears are on their way out. Hope not for your sake but I'd be planning on getting a new unit before long. Usually a good used one is WAY cheaper than rebuilding but be sure to flush the fluid through the cooler lines rather than just filling the replacement up and calling it done.
garymunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
speed24

So I finally got around to dropping the pan to see how it looked and found a lot of metal around the magnet. Looks I will be rebuilding the transmission. Here are some photos of the pan.

Anybody know the best place to buy a rebuild kit?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
garymunson

E4ODs are BEARS to rebuild. Shops charge a lot to cover the expense of having to re-do a tiny mistake on some of them. A good used one can be a much easier path..... Good luck with whichever way you go.. Keep in mind in addition to the kit you'll be ponying up for whatever hard parts expired. The bad news is a disintigrating planetary can send shrapnel all through the tranny (like the big stuff in your pan) that will take out or damage other hard stuff. Some of that stuff looks like needle bearing pieces.. also an extra in addition to the kit. Myself, I wouldn't waste time or money going into one that had pan debris like yours. If you want to rebuild something, try to find a dead one that went out slipping from worn clutches or hard, cracked seals. There should be plenty of them around courtesy of people who were remiss in keeping their fluid changed.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo, In any event; Ford advises in Cooler Flusher (Rotunda) TSB 00-1-5 for 85-96 Bronco, 85-90 Bronco II, 86-97 Aerostar, 85-2000 Econoline, F-150, Ranger; 91-2000 Explorer, 95-2000 Windstar, 97-2000 Expedition, 99-2000 Super Duty F Series, etc.; The transmission cooling system (cooler and lines) MUST be flushed anytime the transmission is overhauled or replaced to prevent repeat repairs. The use of this new flusher (222-00001) is the most effective way to remove contamination from the cooling system and, in most cases, eliminate the need to replace the transmission cooler. Varnish and contamination that is left in the transmission cooler system after a failure will damage a transmission if not cleaned out properly. The new cooler flusher is a quick and effective way to clean the contamination out of the transmission cooling system. Refer to the following Service Procedure for more information.

Also;
Filter, In-Line TSB 00-23-10 for 89-96 Bronco & F Series, etc.

Magnefine® or Power Steering XC3Z-7B155-AA Installation Instructions; Ford XC3Z-7B155-AA; this filter is cited in E4OD/4R100 Filter, In-Line Kit TSB 00-23-10 for 89-96
Source: by Emerging Enterprises, Magnefine® emergingent.com

Filter, Internal, Grommet Warning; "...When ever you go to change your trans filter, Always make sure to pull out the little round rubber do hicky thingamabob. Lets call it a gromit or a seal? Theres this part of the trans filter that is inserted into the trans (a round tube that goes up into this hole ); Now the tube has a gasket of sorts that wraps around the tube ( kinda like a wide O-ring )It form a seal between the tube and the hole it goes in. Well what ended up killing my trans was that fact that the last guy that changed the trans filter didnt notice that this o-ring thing (gromit Or what ever) did'nt come out with the filter it stayed in the hole! He left it in there; & installed the new filter witch had its preinstalled gromit already; So what he did, is he (unknowingly) stacked two gromits on top of each other, Witch did not let the filters tube fit as it should. It was starving itself for fluid!! It was sucking air as well as tranny fluid! (in other words not working right) ..."
Source: by BlancoBronco (Cam C , Project BLANCO) at FSB

Rebuild Article Source: by Dexter R

Remanufactured Transmissions & Engines - Motorcraft® Brand, Broncos & all Ford vehicles 19.38 MB pdf
Source: by fordinstallersupport.com

Get a rebuild or rebuilt trans price locally, then get some estimates from the; Distributors (listed in each Catalog above) & Ford; Ford has a good guarantee and the Qual is up there. And the Ford reman trannys/engines do not need to be installed by a Ford Dealer
Look at these Excerpts;
"...Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines
Ford Motor Company, The American Road, Dearborn, MI 48121 (“Ford”) provides the following Limited Warranty on Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured
Transmissions and Gas Engines to Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Dealers (each being a “Dealer”) or general Installers (each being an “Installer”). This Limited Warranty provides that Ford will credit the Dealer or Installer for repairing or replacing, at Ford’s option, any Ford or Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmission or Gas Engine sold by Ford that is found to be defective in factory-supplied material or workmanship subject to the following terms, conditions and limitations:
Retail Customers: To obtain warranty service, please return your vehicle to any Ford, Lincoln or Mercury Dealership or return to the Installer who
originally installed the Ford or Motorcraft Engine or Transmission Assembly in your vehicle. Please have your original dated receipt for installation date verification.
Complete Gas Engine Long Block Assemblies (6006/6V012) and Transmission Assemblies (7000/7V000/7003)
• 36 months or 36,000 miles from warranty start date, whichever occurs first. Ford will cover 100% of all parts and labor at approved warranty reimbursement rates
• If installed by a Dealer, reasonable towing charges (up to 35 miles or to the nearest Dealer) are covered only if the vehicle is not covered under
another towing insurance coverage Short Blocks (6009/6V009), Cylinder Heads (6049/6V049) and Crankshaft Kits (6303/6V303) for Gas Engines
• 12 months or 12,000 miles from warranty start date, whichever occurs first. Ford will cover 100% of all parts and labor at approved warranty reimbursement rates
• If installed by a Dealer, reasonable towing charges (up to 35 miles or to the nearest Dealer) are covered only if the vehicle is not covered under
another towing insurance coverage
Warranty Start Date
• Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines installed by the Dealer or Installer—warranty begins on the date of installation
• Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines sold by Dealer or Installer over-the-counter or to a retail purchaser— on the date of sale
Limitations to the Warranty
The following limitation applies to the products covered by this Limited Warranty
• Towing charges are not reimbursable for Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines sold over-the-counter by a Dealer or Installer..."
"No-Risk" Core Return policy means accurate quotes for engine and transmissions are no problem. 100 percent core credit will be given (regardless of damage or quality of returned core); just follow these guidelines and the return runs
smoothly.
• Returned core is the same part as the assembly purchased
• Core is 100% complete with all parts attached and all fluids drained and is returned in original package..."

more E4OD LINKs in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=63

GL!

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
speed24

Thanks for all the info. I am trying to get the transmission out now. I have everything disconnected and all the bolts out. It will not budge. It feels like the bellhousing has been welded to the motor. Any tips on how separate them?

UPDATE: We got it out. That was a pain.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
garymunson

Note Miesk's post detail about exchanging a COMPLETE core. You might not want to tear yours apart if you're going to exchange it.. The fuzzy stuff stuck to the magnet in your pix is normal on any E4OD with 10K or more miles on it. Just steel scuffed of the clutch plates. The magnet's there to catch that crap. Changing the fluid regularly gets rid of the scrubbed off clutch material itself. Both normal as the tranny ages. Taken care of most will go 250K/15 yrs before they need a rebuild. The assorted pieces of steel are another story altogether......
Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
speed24

I tore down the transmission today. Here are some pictures of the damage.

There is a scratch in the case as seen in the pictures above. Is the case still salvageable?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
garymunson

I don't believe that's a sealing surface...case should be OK but you'll spend way more on replacement hard parts than you can get a good used one for. Scrap that one.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
speed24

I am pricing out the cost to rebuild it. I was thinking about adding the SONNAX E40D Transmission reconditioning kit Sure Cure kit. Anybody know if its worth it? I don't want to rebuild it have the forward planetary blow again. So far, I looks like it will be around 500 for the hard parts and rebuild kit. Then i need a cooler and torque converter. So I should be able to do it all for around 800. Thanks for the help
Old 12-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
surveyorsteve

Bronco Info: 92 Bronco Custom with 347 Stroker
I rebuilt mine and it really was a BEAR...She BEAR with cubs close by. lol. I put a moderate shift kit in and it got rid of that long delay of going into reverse if yours does that. Shifts much nicer and stronger.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
speed24

Yea I have been hearing its not easy, but looking at the ATSG manual and researching online I believe I can do it. Also mine was just starting to take a long time to go into reverse and sometimes wouldn't go into reverse unless I hit the accelerator before I pulled it out.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
speed24

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymunson View Post
I don't believe that's a sealing surface...case should be OK but you'll spend way more on replacement hard parts than you can get a good used one for. Scrap that one.
Gary, How much does a good used one cost? Where should I be looking for one? I am going to compare the cost of the rebuild versus buying either a used or rebuilt one.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #19
garymunson

I'd look on Craigslist and prowl the junkyards. Generally if the fluid doesn't look/smell bad it's worth the gamble to me..... E4ODs are so costly to rebuild. If you decide to do that, try to find a tranny that went out slipping as a core. You'll spend a bunch on the hard parts on yours. Sometime you can find a small local trans shop that has a rebuilt on the shelf they'll sell cheaper since E4ODs are getting less in demand every day and they might want to get it out the door. They know most trucks that take that tranny now aren't worth much more than what they used to get for that rebuild.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #20
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo,
For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
http://www.mypartshop.com/
Select All Parts
year, etc, then FORD TRUCK
Average price is $550.00
one note is "DROVE IN YARD" but asking $1,050.00 and the yard is in Delaware
or
http://www.copartfinder.com
Has Vehicle Pics!

http://www.picknpull.com

http://www.car-parts.com/

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!