another electrical question - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
pete64

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8 E4OD
another electrical question

All of my interior lights are out with the exception of the rear dome lamp and the exterior light that also houses the third brake light. These both work as designed. Looking at this drawing

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6N...3RYTmdPSmxVR1E

the common thread is the ground at G200. Problem with that theory is the lamps that work also use that ground connection. Also the map lights are out and it appears that they use a different ground so G200 is not a factor in that. The other common point is of course power but again the lights that don't work are in common with the lights that do.

So the question is has anyone experienced a similar situation or possible found that the grounds in fact are isolated from one another. Also what exactly is the left cowl panel so I can get behind it and check G200.
pete64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Mikey350

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both have E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
I'm pretty sure that G200 is behind the RIGHT (passenger side) kick panel. G201 is behind the LEFT kick panel (where your parking brake is).

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
Mikey350 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
"Cowl panel" = "kick panel"; the plastic trim on the side of the footwell, forward of the door. Just because one thing is still grounded, that doesn't mean that EVERYthing at that location is. Inspect - don't stop at analysis. And don't assume that everything is still put together exactly the way it was designed over 20 years ago. Is the truck a museum piece? Create a DETAILED signature with all the truck's specs using the info in this caption:

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
pete64

yes I understand things get monkeyed with and I'm dealing with that now but everything so far has been obvious. It seemed really odd to me that the grounds would all be brought back to a central location when they could ground them locally at many of the fixtures. Figured I'd ask for a sanity check on what the diagram was telling me before I spent hours chasing this gremlin. Hopefully I'll have an answer to this mystery tomorrow. That is if I get the chance to look at it as I'm may be putting together the 351 for my Son's 86.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
pfun41

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete64 View Post
yes I understand things get monkeyed with and I'm dealing with that now but everything so far has been obvious. It seemed really odd to me that the grounds would all be brought back to a central location when they could ground them locally at many of the fixtures. Figured I'd ask for a sanity check on what the diagram was telling me before I spent hours chasing this gremlin. Hopefully I'll have an answer to this mystery tomorrow. That is if I get the chance to look at it as I'm may be putting together the 351 for my Son's 86.
What makes you think it's the grounds? There's a connector at the bottom of the B pillar behind the trim that is for the dome lamp. Its in a spot where water likes to collect in leaky trucks and is susceptible to corrosion.On my 90 one of the wires had corroded and broken off that connector and the map lights wouldn't work.
My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
pfun41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
wdford

Bronco Info: 1995 EB 351W, E40D
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete64 View Post
Grounds are better off at a common location, it's easier to troubleshoot. Also can you imagine your truck full of holes for ground straps everywhere? NOw you've only 1 location to search for loose studs or corrosion. Besides every component may not be near an adequate ground source.

I love to oversimplify but have you checked for power at the sockets? Did you get a good solid voltage within -.5v of the battery? You'd be testing the socket with a different ground source too.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo, Check the ckts in this 92 wiring diagram
Notice the splices.

& as PFUN ADVISED;
Dome Connector Corrosion in Driver's Side B Pillar pic; "...This is a picture of the connector behind the driver side seat belt retractor. This is a common area of problems. On mine, the wires had corroded and fell out of the connector. .... wire had corroded on the connector and preventing power getting to the dome light..."

Source: by Jem270

Dome Connector in Driver's Side B Pillar pic in a 95
Source: by quinault @ http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172775

test courtesy light door Jamb switches

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
pete64

Finally got some time to work on the 95 (been spending most of my free time on the son's 86) and found the dome light issue. As I originally assumed the ground for the dome and map lights does not return to a central location as the wiring diagram says but it relies on a ground locally. The PO loved to take things apart and put them back together with self tapping screws but he failed to replace the screw which provided the ground to the lights.

I've still got electrical gremlins though. While installing the ground screw I slipped and blew the fuse. After that the power locks and keyless entry quit working. I hear the relays click when I hit door switch but the locks don't move. No idea how those are related as that circuit is supposedly fed off a cb that also feed a bunch of other stuff that still works. I didn't have any fuses or a way to the parts store at the time and didn't get very far in the Bronco as the trans was in limp home mode. Apparently the dome light fuse also feeds the speedo so the trans lost VSS.

So I'll be replacing the fuse tonight, and making sure I have spares, and we'll see what is what. The lights in the doors still don't work so I've still got issues but the dome light is fixed.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Mikey350

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both have E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
The RKE (remote keyless entry) system has connections all throughout the interior (and some exterior) courtesy lights. I have some schematics that might help. Take a look at these and the schematics before and after it:

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/900442

Good Luck

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
Mikey350 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Steve83

. .
Old 01-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
pete64

yep replacing the fuse fixed all my problems. Well except the door lamps but that could be bulbs. What I don't get is why I could hear relays clicking when trying to lock/unlock the doors but nothing happened. Clearly the power to the locks comes from the keyless entry module and without the fuse it would not function but it would seem to be the relays would be downstream of this module.

No matter it's fixed now and I know what the deal is going forward.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:22 AM   #12
Steve83

The clicking you heard wasn't necessarily the factory lock relays inside the RKE module. Pull that fuse & try to pinpoint the source.

. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!