My 96 Bronco Question Thread - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
sscobra

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL, 5.0, 5-speed
My 96 Bronco Question Thread

I wanted to have a central place to ask specific questions about my Bronco.

Up first:

How do I check the timing on the 96 model?
(I know how to check timing, spout connector, etc. There is no timing indicator that I can find on my 96.) I have searched and haven't found the answer that I'm looking for.

Update: Second Question:

Well it looks like my slave cylinder is leaking. So at this point I will replace the slave, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel(new or resurfaced) and rear main seal. Truck has just over 103,000 miles.

Questions: What clutch do you guys recommend? Is the late model mustang clutch the same? Any thing that I should think about upgrading over stock during this process? Does anyone make a upgraded clutch line? Saw someting about a 11" clutch upgrade, worth it, what parts?

I have searched and have done a lot of reading. I am not new to fords or mechanic work. Just looking for some advice on things that I might not have seen. Thanks for the help guys.

Update:

Factory tac swap and Saginaw pump swap on second page.
sscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
omp

Bronco Info: 96 302, 5spd, 4" lift
Pull spout on drv side fender. Timin marks are on dampener just in front of misfire sensor wheel. I recommend going underneath and cleaning it up a bit. I actually took a pocket knife to clean up etchings. Then with motor running the timing mark ref bracket is bolted to pass side of dampener where the misfire sensor is.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ford+...20&bih=356#i=3
omp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
sscobra

Ok, so it appears the person before me removed the timing pointer. I assume this is what it should look like(this is off a 94 351). Is it the same as below for the 96 5.0? Any ideas on where I can get one?

Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
sscobra

I assume this is the part I need.

Does anyone know if the 5.8 bronco/f-150 and or 5.0 explorers will work?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscobra View Post
Ok, so it appears the person before me removed the timing pointer. I assume this is what it should look like(this is off a 94 351). Is it the same as below for the 96 5.0? Any ideas on where I can get one?

^^this picture is off of a 96 because of the crankshaft sensor

Quote:
I assume this is the part I need.

Does anyone know if the 5.8 bronco/f-150 and or 5.0 explorers will work?

that looks like my picture...........HA! It is!

Yes, 5.0 & 5.8 brackets are the same. I got one off of an Explorer when I needed one.

~ Scott ~

~My Exhaust clip on YouTube ~ 210k on the odometer. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 22 years ~

Last edited by sackman9975; 12-05-2012 at 02:26 PM.
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
sscobra

LOL...that's funny. Thanks for the info. I will check around and see what I can come up with. Also, I went to check it out at lunch, and man, now I'm wondering how I would even see the pointer with the timing light. There is so much stuff in the way. I can't even see the crankshaft sensor from the top(tried multiple angles).
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Quote:
LOL...that's funny. Thanks for the info. I will check around and see what I can come up with. Also, I went to check it out at lunch, and man, now I'm wondering how I would even see the pointer with the timing light. There is so much stuff in the way. I can't even see the crankshaft sensor from the top(tried multiple angles).
It's tough. Shine the pointer up as best as you can, and mark the balancer with a white crayon. I just timed my buddy's 96 F150 a couple weeks ago, in the dark. You just got to play with the angles, and make sure to stand clear of the fan. Ford's didn't make this too easy.

~ Scott ~

~My Exhaust clip on YouTube ~ 210k on the odometer. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 22 years ~
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
sscobra

Well I was finally able to do some inspection. Turns out I do have the pointer (awesome!). There was no way to see it from the top. Also, I discovered that the wiring loom and bracket that carries the crank position sensor harness, is the reason I couldn't see the timing pointer or balancer. I rerouted the harness to a safe and out of the way location. I can now see the timing pointer and balancer. I will do the timing check this weekend. Also, I like to use sand stone when marking the balancer. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
sscobra

Updated new question in first post...thank you!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
sscobra

Anyone?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo sscobra,
This is the
1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty Chassis Cab and Bronco Equipped with Manual Transmission Workshop Manual PARTIAL
Here is the Clutch Master Cylinder and Reservoir Section

M5OD Clutch System Description & Operation, Diagnosis & Testing, Removal & Installation, Cleaning & Inspection, Adjustments, Specifications & Special Service Tools & Equipment

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
buffaloroams
Man with a Golden ticket

Bronco Info: 96 blackout XLT Sport 5.8L E4OD, 4" Rancho w/ 35" MTR's
I like your idea of having just one thread for your Truck but it might help you if you added new questions as they come up to the end post.

I will assume that questions in the first post were already answered and I am guessing that most others will too.

Also once your thread starts getting to be several pages long most people won't start reading at the beginning of the Thread, they will just start at the end and see what is going on and work backwards from there to get up to speed. At least that is what I do since there are thousands of threads on here and reading some of them all the way through takes a considerable amount of time.

Just my thoughts, do it however you want, just trying to help.

Wish more guys would have just one thread for their questions and honestly I wish I had done that in the beginning.

I usually read something that is similar to mine and piggyback onto someone else's thread with my question.
buffaloroams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
DNBELOWBRONCO

Bronco Info: '96, 5.8, 4.56, 4", 35's, Thorleys, Warn 8274, 5100's, 160 3G, Sag, 10.25, E-fan, Projectors, 8-Lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackman9975 View Post

Yes, 5.0 & 5.8 brackets are the same. I got one off of an Explorer when I needed one.
Haha yeah well that is my picture of my leaking timing cover that I spluged silicone on the night before we went to Tahoe to the Rubicon, and it is off my '96 5.8. I pulled the motor and sealed up all the leaks since then and she looks pretty again. That cover on the misfire/crankshaft sensor is the pointer and bolts to the corner of the timing cover. I just cleaned my harmonic/vibration damper off with parts wash and used liquid paper to mark 10*BTDC and it has stayed on for well over a year now.....lol. God that picture is ugly, of course I did it at about 11 pm hoping to stop the very, very, slight trickle of coolant that was actually pooling over onto the top of the timing cover and leaching down along the block/cover. Took forever to finally pin it down....
-Kevin-

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Seuss-
DNBELOWBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #14
DNBELOWBRONCO

Bronco Info: '96, 5.8, 4.56, 4", 35's, Thorleys, Warn 8274, 5100's, 160 3G, Sag, 10.25, E-fan, Projectors, 8-Lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackman9975 View Post

They may be the same on the '95's but they are exclusive on '96 5.8 only, as far as changing mounting location to the lower right corner of the timing cover as compared to earlier years and the misfire sensor, which is what they call them in '96 has both pieces tack welded to the sensor cover like in my picture. One is the flat one that you actually use to reference the timing mark (use the flat side to the right when looking at it) and the one along the flat front side with the circle on it........you can't use an Explorer one on a '96 5.8 though......no offense just fyi..... -Kevin-

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Seuss-
DNBELOWBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
sscobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloroams View Post
I like your idea of having just one thread for your Truck but it might help you if you added new questions as they come up to the end post.

I will assume that questions in the first post were already answered and I am guessing that most others will too.

Also once your thread starts getting to be several pages long most people won't start reading at the beginning of the Thread, they will just start at the end and see what is going on and work backwards from there to get up to speed. At least that is what I do since there are thousands of threads on here and reading some of them all the way through takes a considerable amount of time.

Just my thoughts, do it however you want, just trying to help.

Wish more guys would have just one thread for their questions and honestly I wish I had done that in the beginning.

I usually read something that is similar to mine and piggyback onto someone else's thread with my question.
Yeah. I was gonna try it out that way. What I may do is post the new question in the last post and update the first as well. That way if someone is interested they read the last post and my go back to the first post to see all the topics covered in this thread.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
sscobra

Update: Second Question:

Well it looks like my slave cylinder is leaking. So at this point I will replace the slave, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel(new or resurfaced) and rear main seal. Truck has just over 103,000 miles.

Questions: What clutch do you guys recommend? Is the late model mustang clutch the same? Any thing that I should think about upgrading over stock during this process? Does anyone make a upgraded clutch line? Saw someting about a 11" clutch upgrade, worth it, what parts?

I have searched and have done a lot of reading. I am not new to fords or mechanic work. Just looking for some advice on things that I might not have seen. Thanks for the help guys
Old 02-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #17
sscobra

Thanks for the links. Also, want to know thoughts on specific brands. I checked a few sources and they list the bronco with an 11" clutch. So that means that the mustang 10.5" clutch won't work. Anyone know different?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #18
sscobra

I plan to do the shifter repair, while I'm at it.

http://www.allstategear.com/M50D%20S...pair%20Kit.htm

Old 02-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo,
Friends use and like the LuK PRO GOLD PERFORMANCE 07-909
http://catalog.schaeffler-aftermarke...5.0L&qualfier=

Related Clutch System Components
Component Part Number Qualifier
Master Cylinder LMC177 LMC177
Slave Cylinder LSC003 LSC003 Bearing not included
Slave Cylinder LSC003B LSC003B Release Bearing & Slave Cylinder Combination
Flywheel LFW161
Clutch Technical Bulletins
see my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=66 for;

Release Bearing, Do Not Lubricate in a 96; "...The release bearing and pre-lubricated internal slave cylinder are designed to operate without any additional lubrication. Do not lubricate these parts during installation. Doing so may cause premature failure..."
Source: by lukclutch.com

Release Bearing Installation Procedure; "...The slave cylinder you remove from the vehicle will appear similar to one of the two original-equipment designs shown below. This procedure provides instruction for bearing installation on slave cylinders that include a spring boot assembly and plastic spacer. The slave cylinder is now ready for installation. Remove the slave cylinder spring from the boot assembly, discarding the rubber boot, release bearing and plastic spacer. Seat the new release bearing assembly on the slavecylinder spring and install the assembly on the slave cylinder. Press down on the bearing to install the new retaining ring, included in the clutch set. Press down on the bearing to remove the retaining ring and two washers. Discard the ring and washers. Remove the bearing, spring boot assembly and plastic spacer..."
Source: by lukclutch.com

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
omp

Bronco Info: 96 302, 5spd, 4" lift
Have a std clutch slave got from napa. Made in Mexico. Flywheel from napa Sachs made in china. Slave clutch went with dealer sealed unit. Pilot is timken from summit new pressure plate bolts. Also re sealed input cover on tranny with new input seal which comes out backwards.
omp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!