E4OD troubles - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
catsnw
A broke kid with a bronco

Bronco Info: 1995 EB bronco 5.8, auto, true duals, k&n intake, 3G alternator, 12 front lights (more to come!)
E4OD troubles

Well long story short I accidently slid into a ditch with my truck. After trying to get it out it caught on fire. Just a tiny one by the rear passenger side head. We put it out and all was burnt was a rubber hose and the yellow vac line (I capped that after).

So now my truck slips in all gears and not the nice firm shifts it had. It's turning 2900rpms in overdrive at 65mph with 3.55 gears. Out of I'd it's well past 3k.

Also reverse won't kick in until you rev the engine to 2k rpms for about a second and a half. Then it hits it and hauls ass backwards. So it's not like it "slips" it slips into gear and once it catches its gone.

In thinking either torque converter or the filter dropped. I just changed the trans fluid (and filter) about 700 miles ago. I check it and its a nice red without a brunt smell and at a good level. I also drain the torque converter at the same time.

٩(●̮̮)۶

catsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Mikey350

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both have E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsnw View Post
... it caught on fire. Just a tiny one by the rear passenger side head. We put it out and all was burnt was a rubber hose and the yellow vac line (I capped that after).
What caused the fire? A rubber hose and a vacuum line usually don't start a fire? Did the exhaust crossover (connected to the back of the heads) burn through?

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
Mikey350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
catsnw

Bronco Info: 1995 EB bronco 5.8, auto, true duals, k&n intake, 3G alternator, 12 front lights (more to come!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey350 View Post
What caused the fire? A rubber hose and a vacuum line usually don't start a fire? Did the exhaust crossover (connected to the back of the heads) burn through?
Oil soaked rubber hose fell on to glowing orange headers. I blew my engine oil cool line off and I guess I didn't clean ALL the oil. But it wasn't an electrical fire.

٩(●̮̮)۶

Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Bronco Info: 2006 Kia Spectra
codes. pull them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco" John Galt View Post
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis

"To be easily amused is to live most of your life smiling."
TheUnforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #5
pfun41

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.

I just so happened to have a similar incident with fire. The wiring harness for the transmission is in that area. Mine was toasted.
Is the "OFF" light on the shifter flashing?
My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
pfun41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
catsnw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfun41 View Post

I just so happened to have a similar incident with fire. The wiring harness for the transmission is in that area. Mine was toasted.
Is the "OFF" light on the shifter flashing?
Nope. I was getting over drive but it didn't seem like the converter was locking up.

I'll pull codes. I knew I was forgetting something.

٩(●̮̮)۶

Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
catsnw

Codes so far

KOEO: 654 (Mlp has 1 dead resistor. I ohmed it for every gear when it's in park the computer thinks its reverse but when it's in reverse it still thinks its reverse.)

Cm: 452 (this is an old one that I had fixed but never reset.) the speedo would jump like 20mph over a really rough patch. It's fine now.

Koer: I don't know yet. I didn't have time to run it.

٩(●̮̮)۶

Old 12-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
garymunson

Bronco Info: 93 XLT, 5.8, E4OD, manual Xfer & hubs
Anytime an E4OD Starts slipping, change the fluid! Critical! Ford trannys rely on a friction modifier additive that wears out and starts the slipping. If allowed to continue it will destroy the transmission.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...nsmission.html
garymunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo C,
DTC 452 Erratic Harsh Shift; Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 on 94-95 Bronco & Trucks;

SEE D: Code 452 - see Poss. Short Locations:
1. Driver's side A pillar trim screws may have been installed thru da 17K745 Sun Visor wire assy & .. bullet connector;
3. Scuff plate screws (driver's side) may pinch the 14A504 wire assy;
4. Dash Harness 14401 wire assy may be trapped/pinched between Half car beam & instrument panel attachment (repeated as #7. the wire harness may be pinched/shorted behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel wall.
5. shift cable assy near tranny may chaf the wire harness; 7. repeated above..brake pedal-to-dash panel wall weld.
Source: by FORD via Chilton

Repair or Replace MLPS

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
catsnw

Koer code: 311. No long have the AIR pump so that's why I get that. Other than that nothing.

Also the fluid looks fine and smells fine. It's less than a few hundred miles on it too. So it's clean.

Is there anyway to check if the filter is still in place without dropping the pan? Can I throw a line pressure gauge on it and tell? Or do I have to drop the pan and check?

The trans feels like its just slipping into gears not the nice firm engagement it had before. So it's mechanical not physical.

٩(●̮̮)۶

Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
garymunson

Bronco Info: 93 XLT, 5.8, E4OD, manual Xfer & hubs
The look and smell of fluid is not a good indicator if it's good. My Bronco had belonged to an elderly gentleman who drove like an elderly gentleman. When I got the truck, it had a pronounced TC shudder/slip. The problem here was the fluid's anti-friction additive had gotten depleted but with the old fellow's gentle driving, it was never an issue. He drove it so easy he never experienced the shudder. The fluid looked and smelled new. Changing it made it shift like new. Unless you are SURE the fluid is fresh (not relying on a past owner telling you it was just changed and believing it since it looks and smells fresh) you should change it by the flush method. See my post here yesterday.
garymunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
catsnw

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymunson View Post
The look and smell of fluid is not a good indicator if it's good. My Bronco had belonged to an elderly gentleman who drove like an elderly gentleman. When I got the truck, it had a pronounced TC shudder/slip. The problem here was the fluid's anti-friction additive had gotten depleted but with the old fellow's gentle driving, it was never an issue. He drove it so easy he never experienced the shudder. The fluid looked and smelled new. Changing it made it shift like new. Unless you are SURE the fluid is fresh (not relying on a past owner telling you it was just changed and believing it since it looks and smells fresh) you should change it by the flush method. See my post here yesterday.
I personally changed it less than 500 miles ago. The last guy had also changed it because he put a 2wd filter in it. So I'm going get a line pressure gauge and see what I'm putting out then drop the pan and check the filter and refill the fluid. I flushed it last time using that procedure along with draining the tc.

٩(●̮̮)۶

Old 12-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
catsnw

And i changed the fluid/checked filter. Rode around same issue.

So now what?

٩(●̮̮)۶

Old 12-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
hizootiemizark

Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.0
MLPS?
hizootiemizark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
pfun41

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.

IMO it doesn't matter what circuit is messed up on the mlps, if any of it is bad It should be upgraded to the newer one.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #16
catsnw

Replaced the mlps and still won't shift correctly. But reverese is better.

So broken u-joint on rear axle later still nothing fixed. I broke it going to get a new mlps.

And I made sure to align it correctly.

٩(●̮̮)۶

Old 12-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #17
catsnw

Next update: it shifts when it wants to work sometimes. There is no rhyme or reason when it wants to but when it does its flawless.

٩(●̮̮)۶

Old 12-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #18
pfun41

Does the speedo bounce at all?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #19
catsnw

Nope. Vss is fine. I even switched with a spare I had laying around.

Edit: I also pulled the plug on the vss to force it into limo mode and it would barely shift and sometimes not at all.

٩(●̮̮)۶

Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #20
catsnw

Final chapter in this book....
Trans is done. 3rd and 4th gone. 2nd was on its way too. In the words of my dad it was all broken except the case lol

٩(●̮̮)۶

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!