E4ODs again..... - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
garymunson

Bronco Info: 93 XLT, 5.8, E4OD, manual Xfer & hubs
E4ODs again.....

I'll put this up again because of the continual postings of owners who are having E4OD issues. When an E4OD begins to show signs of slipping, change the fluid asap. Fords rely on a fluid with a friction modifier additive that wears out and causes slipping. If you continue to drive with that condition you will burn up the fluid and in short order the transmission. Adding a friction modifier is also a good idea (Lucas Tranny Fix, Mr Tranny, etc.). Don't waste money on one of those additives without changing the fluid! The E4OD is so tough it's used in motor homes. Take care of it and it will last you a long time. Myself, I use the procedure below and never pull the pan or change the filter (Ford does not recommend it) as every old one I've cut open was never even close to being clogged up. All pulling the pan or doing a TC drain does is break free stuff that's safely stuck in place. In the article below, the author talks about unhooking the cooler line at the tranny. Our Broncos have a short piece of hose at the tranny cooler already in place for flushing there.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...nsmission.html
garymunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
hizootiemizark

Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.0
I tend to agree. I bought a filter and dropped the pan a couple years ago. It appeared to be the first time the trans had ever been serviced at all at about 110,000 mi and the old filter looked as clean as the new one. It did have a gasket leak so at least it wasn't a total waste.
hizootiemizark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
garymunson

Bronco Info: 93 XLT, 5.8, E4OD, manual Xfer & hubs
A friend of mine who's career has been a Ford truck mechanic put me onto the folly of replacing tranny filters. He claimed he'd cut many filters apart and over 25 years never saw one he could even remotely call dirty. Think just re-torquing the pan bolts would have stopped your leak? My friend insists pulling pans, especially older vehicles can be a recipie for a rebuild. He says in the past he's had to rebuild Ford trannys for free that wouldn't back out of the stall after a filter and fluid change. The crap in the bottom of the pan is safe there but if you break something loose, it only takes something tiny to jam a check ball in place and precipitate a rebuild. Just some advice for FSB owners...if your tranny is working good and you haven't changed fluid in a long time...do it now! Our trannys are huge and expensive to have rebuilt. The flush method above only takes about 20 minutes and you hardly get dirty doing it that way and you'll likely have to rebuild your engine before your tranny if you maintain it.
garymunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!