1996 EB 351 abs pump trouble - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
Damion

1996 EB 351 abs pump trouble

So I have been donig a lot of research and I used the search but I can't find exactly what I am looking for. The abs pump is running when the ignition is off. I unpluged it to keep it from burning out. Is a bad module my only option or could anything else be causing this like a wheel sensor or something. Sorry I know there are probably a ton of posts on this I just could not piece what I found together right in my head.
Damion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
YO DAMION,
WELCOME!

You can try a self-test on the 4WABS Syetem
4WABS Self Test & Test Connector Diagram, Component Locations & Codes in 93-96; "...The 4WABS TEST Connector is red; located at the left-hand side (driver's side) of the engine compartment and marked ANTI-LOCK TEST; Light Flash Technique 1. Note: If 12V test light is not available, the amber ABS warning light also flashes during this test. Locate test connector in the engine compartment and install 12V test light between Pins C and E. 2. With the ignition off, jumper Pin E to B. 3. Turn key to RUN position. 4. Remove jumper between Pins E and B after 5 seconds. 5. Count light flashes of test light or amber ABS warning light
by Steve83 @ http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/255501_1

best GUESS (& EZiest Test & Fix) is that the Pump Motor's relay (4WABS Relay) is stuck Closed - it is in the Power Distribution Box; Located under the hood on the drivers side fenderwell, on driver's side of the air cleaner housing;

Relay 1 PCM Power Relay
Relay 2 Fuel Pump Relay
Relay 3 Horn Relay
Relay 4 Trailer Marker Lamps Relay
Relay 5 4WABS Relay

Fuse Position Amps Circuits Protected
1 20 Radio
2 30 4WABS Relay No. 1
3 30 Horn Relay, Daytime Running Lamps (DRL), Multi-Function Switch, Speed Control
4 25 Trailer Marker Lamps Relay, Trailer Backup Lamps Relay
5 15 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S), Backup Lamps, 4WABS, Trailer Battery Charge Relay, Daytime Running Lamps (DRL), Speed Control
6 10 Trailer Right Stop/Turn Lamps
7 10 Trailer Left Stop/Turn Lamps

If Horn works well now, swap it's Relay w/the 4WABS relay
Maxi-Fuse Position Amps Circuits Protected
8 30 4 WABS Relay No. 2
9 30 PCM Power Relay, Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
10 20 See Fuse 18 (IP Fuse Panel), Starter Relay
11 Not Used
12 (Diode) 20 Ignition System, PCM Power Relay Coil
13 50 See Fuses 5, 9 and 13 (IP Fuse Panel)
14 30 Rear Window Defrost
15 50 See Fuses 1 and 7 (IP Fuse Panel) and Fuse 5
16 20 Fuel Pump Relay
17 50 See Fuses 2, 6, 11 and 17, Maxi-Fuse 22 and Circuit Breaker 14
18 30 Trailer Battery Charge Relay
19 40 Main Light Switch, Headlamps
20 50 See Fuses 4, 8 and 16 (IP Fuse Panel). Also See Circuit Breaker 12.
21 30 Trailer Electronic Brake Control Unit
22 20 Diode Current Flows from Fuse 22 to PCM Power Relay

-------
or Control Module Circuit (Pin 29) {to Pump Motor Relay Coil Control} is corrupt due to bad connection or microprocessors are burnt-out
Self Test above is needed

-----------------
4WABS Wiring Diagrams in a 96 from Ford EVTM; includes HCU & Data Link Connectors Pin-Outs; click Next for diagram #2

Source: by Mikey350

4WABS Wiring Diagram Errors in 94 & 96 EVTMs; "...Below is one of the ABS pages from the 96 Bronco EVTM. Notice the pin numbers on the 4WABS Hydraulic Unit. Now notice the pin numbers on the same 4WABS Hydraulic Unit from the 94 EVTM. The ABS Hydraulic Unit connector is also different in the 96 EVTM. The same connector in the 94 EVTM. My best guess is that it took a couple of years before Ford got around to correcting the EVTM. I believe that they got it right in the 96 manual (finally)..."
Source: by Mikey350 at FSB http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...ighlight=4wabs

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
What exactly did you unplug to stop it? Where exactly is the connector?

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Damion

Steve I disconnected the wire connector closest to the pump on the right hand side. Miesk you rock relay replaced pump not on constantly after I plugged it back in. It all makes since now lol don't know why I didn't think to check that first. Thank you guys I now know where to turn for all of my new Bronco problems
Damion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo DAMION,
YW.

GL with the Bronco.

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!