Help, e4od issue code 624 and a no go - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
aquaholic33

Bronco Info: 1995 bronco built in 94. 3" suspension lift,vin N , 302 with ram air 33"tires
Help, e4od issue code 624 and a no go

Changed my filter and 6 quarts of fluid yesterday. When to go to work today and the truck couldn't make it out of the driveway. stumbling and popping. My od light was blinking and now I have code 621 and 624. Reset and reran and only get code 624. WHAT should I do? I checked the connector and it was clean no visual signs or damage to pins or connector. I don't understand by changing the fluid could I of messed up the solenoids?
aquaholic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
aquaholic33

Bronco Info: 1995 bronco built in 94. 3" suspension lift,vin N , 302 with ram air 33"tires
reran codes now I have 631 and 624
Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholic33 View Post
Changed my filter and 6 quarts of fluid yesterday.
Is that all you put back in is 6 quarts? That's not enough......

These things hold A LOT more than that.

~ Scott ~

~My Exhaust clip on YouTube ~ 212k on the odometer. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Bronco Info: 2006 Kia Spectra
Also, how did the fluid that was in it look, was there a lot of friction material in the pan, a lot of metal on the magnet? if you say dirty, nasty, black, burned, lots of junk in the pan and a bunch of shit on the magnet....you just killed your trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco" John Galt View Post
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis
TheUnforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
I HIGHLY recommend that you add a quart of Lucas Trans fix in there too.

~ Scott ~

~My Exhaust clip on YouTube ~ 212k on the odometer. Now my daily driver once again. ~
Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo A,
DTC 624 indicate a failure of EPC circuit
Open or short in harnesses (internal/external).
Solenoid damaged electrically.
Key off.
Disconnect transmission connector.
Key on, engine off.
Measure the voltage between VPWR, EPC PWR circuit at transmission vehicle harness connector and chassis/battery ground.
READ MORE

Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS) Connector C1012 Pin-Out Diagram

by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB)

Solenoid Body Connector C1048 Pin-Out Diagram in a 95
: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB)

631 KOEO
- Transmission control indicator lamp circuit failure. Transmission control indicator lamp circuit open or shorted.
Failed on - Overdrive cancel mode always indicated, no flashing for electronic pressure control failure.
Failed off - Overdrive cancel mode never indicated, no flashing for electronic pressure control failure. May be due to wiring or PCM concern. Erratic operation (flashing) may be due to wiring concern.

Possible Causes:
Burned out bulb.
Shorted harness.
Open harness/fuse.
Was the TCS cycled during KOEO Self-Test?
Yes GO to TB5.
NO RERUN KOEO Self-Test cycling the TCS.

Note, where break out box is cited, go to the EEC CONNECTOR pin instead; Use Fireguy's (Ryan M)
EEC IV Connector Pin Legend
& the Connector Pin Diagram

for example in "Measure resistance between Test Pin 12 and Test Pin 40/60"
Pin 12 is 4LOW input
and Pin 40 & 60 are Ground (GND)
---
TB5 CHECK HARNESS CIRCUIT(S) FOR SHORT TO GROUND
Key off.
Breakout box installed, PCM disconnected.
For 4x4 Low circuit:
Disconnect 4x4 Low switch. Inspect both ends of the connector for damaged or pushed out pins, moisture, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.
Measure resistance between Test Pin 12 and Test Pin 40/60 at the breakout box.
For Transmission Control circuits:
Disconnect Transmission Control Switch. Inspect both ends of the connector for damaged or pushed out pins, moisture, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.
Measure resistance between Test Pin 41 and Test Pin 40/60 at the breakout box.
Measure resistance between Test Pin 32 for E/F/B Series Trucks, Test Pin 14 for 3.2L SHO or Test Pin 55 for all others and Test Pin 40/60 at the breakout box.
Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes For original DTCs 47, 65, 632, 633, 653 and 691:
GO to TB8.
For original DTCs 97, 623 and 631:
GO to TB6.
No For original DTCs 97, 623 and 631:
SERVICE short circuit. RERUN Key On, Engine Off Self-Test
TB6 CHECK KEYPOWER THROUGH TCIL CIRCUIT
Key on, engine off.
Measure voltage between Test Pin 32 for E/F/B Series Trucks, Test Pin 14 for 3.2L SHO or Test Pin 55 for all others and Test Pin 40/60 at the breakout box.
Is voltage greater than 10.5 volts?
Yes REPLACE PCM. REMOVE breakout box. RERUN Quick Test.
No GO to TB7.
TB7 CHECK OUTPUT DRIVER SIGNAL
Note: When entering this Test Step with a symptom or a Self-Test Pass code, first disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.

Key off.
Key on, engine off.
For 4x4 Low circuit:
Switch disconnected.
Measure voltage between Test Pin 12 and PWR GND at the breakout box (ohmmeter negative probe).
For TCIL circuit:
Measure voltage between Test Pin 32 for E/F/B Series Trucks, Test Pin 14 for 3.2L SHO or Test Pin 55 for all others and PWR GND at the breakout box (ohmmeter negative probe).
Are both voltage readings at least 2.0 volts?
Yes GO to TB8.
NO INSPECT for damaged indicator bulb (4x4 Low LED or TCIL) or damaged fuse in fuse panel. If OK, SERVICE open circuit. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Quick Test.
TB8 CHECK CONTINUITY OF THE 4x4 LOW OR TRANSMISSION CONTROL SWITCH HARNESS
Key off.
Breakout box connected, PCM disconnected.
Appropriate switch disconnected.
For 4x4 Low circuit:
Measure the resistance between Test Pin 12 at the breakout box and 4x4 Low circuit at 4x4 Low switch touch drive module vehicle harness connector.
For TCS/TCIL circuit:
Measure the resistance between keypower at the fuse panel (fuses) (ohmmeter positive probe) and power side of transmission control switch vehicle harness connector (ohmmeter negative probe).
Measure the resistance between Test Pin 41 at the breakout box and signal side of transmission control switch vehicle harness connector.
Are both resistances less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes GO to TB9.
No SERVICE open circuit(s). REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Quick Test.
TB9 CHECK HARNESS CIRCUIT(S) FOR SHORTS TO POWER
Key off.
Appropriate switch disconnected.
For 4x4 Low circuit:
Measure resistance between Test Pin 12 and Test Pin 37/57 at the breakout box.
For TCS/TCIL circuits:
Measure resistance between Test Pin 41 and Test Pins 37/57 at the breakout box.
Measure resistance between Test Pin 32 for E/F/B Series Trucks, Test Pin 14 for 3.2L SHO or Test Pin 55 for all others and Test Pins 37/57 at the breakout box.
Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes REPLACE damaged switch, either 4x4L range switch or transmission control switch (TCS) due to DTC received. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT PCM. RERUN Quick Test.
No SERVICE short circuit(s). REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Quick Test.

----------

634 KOEO & KOER
- Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Transmission Range (TR) Sensor out of range. Indicated voltage drop across Transmission Range (TR) Sensor exceeds limits established for each position. Harsh engagements, firm shift feel. May flash TCIL

654 indicate the gear selector was not in Park during Self-Test.

Possible causes:

Misadjusted linkage.
Open or short in harness circuits.
Damaged MLP sensor.
Damaged PCM.
Key off.
Apply parking brake.
Place transmission in NEUTRAL.
Verify that Manual Lever Position (MLP) Sensor Tool (Rotunda T91P-7010-AHT) or equivalent fits in the appropriate slot

DTC 634; Manual Lever Position/Transmission Range (MLP/TR) Sensor Pin-Point Test in 92-96; from Ford EVTM; "...Check the resistance of the MLPS: The resistance of the MLPS (pins 30 and 46)..." read more

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
aquaholic33

The magnet was clean. minor particles. the fluid was a redish brown. (that's why I changed it). I did not do a complete flush just a filter and pan . it calls for 4 quarts. So I did a gallon plue one lucas plus 1/2 quart to hit the full line.. I will check that pcm connector now and I will be back.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
garymunson

Bronco Info: 93 XLT, 5.8, E4OD, manual Xfer & hubs
The only proper way to change E4OD fluid. Pulling the pan is asking for trouble....
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...nsmission.html
garymunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
garymunson

Bronco Info: 93 XLT, 5.8, E4OD, manual Xfer & hubs
The only proper way to change E4OD fluid. Pulling the pan is asking for trouble....
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...nsmission.html
Changing just 4 quarts does nothing to help...
garymunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I still think that's not enough fluid........

Did you cycle through all the gears?

~ Scott ~

Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
fdtdx18

Bronco Info: 1993 custom 302, interco tsl's 33x12.5x15, rs5000's, summit shortys, 8.8 mini spool
for a full fluid change with the stock oil cooler, the e4od requires 16.25 quarts of mercon i understand you only changed the fluid in the pan but still, 4 quarts is not nearly enough. the manual transmission requires 4 quarts. where did you get the info that you only need 4 quarts?
fdtdx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!