89' 4WD Problems - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
thomask

89' 4WD Problems

Went mudding last weekend and now 4x4 and low lights are constantly lit on dash as well as 4WD no longer engages. Im guessing something got wet under the truck causing the problem but Im hoping maybe someone could lead me in the direction to start. I recently replace the 4wd actuator motor so i dont think that is bad again. But i checked the wiring harness that comes off of it and when i unplugged it a little water dripped out so could that be the prblem and maybe it just needs to dry out? Well let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
thomask is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
thomask

anybody please i could really use some help... thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
kf4amu
Try it now!!

Location: hotels, Charlotte, Roanoke VA, the cockpit...time split equally between all of them.
Bronco Info: 1989 460 EFI/C6/BW1356 electric/6 inch Rough Country lift/York OBA/Warn hubs/electric fans/14 bolt
http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/...6/elec1356.htm

http://www.supermotors.org/registry/...ail.php?id=819

The best electric fan writeup out there
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40564
kf4amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
thomask

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4amu View Post
so basically what i got off that was because my lights are on all the time to check the ground for a short...

any idea how to find the ground
Old 12-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
thomask

also

i took off the actuating motor and made sure i wasnt stuck in 4lo. i wasnt i was and am in 2hi but the dash light 4x4 is always on as well as the low range light flashing as if i was in 4lo. when i hit the push buttons i get no click on the actuating motor. but im guessing its getting power but the ground is messing everything up.

so im guessing the ground is bad as stated above but i dont know where do look for it. any ideas on the location of the ground
Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
kf4amu
Try it now!!

Location: hotels, Charlotte, Roanoke VA, the cockpit...time split equally between all of them.
Bronco Info: 1989 460 EFI/C6/BW1356 electric/6 inch Rough Country lift/York OBA/Warn hubs/electric fans/14 bolt
Indicator Lights Don't Register the Correct Information

Ranger, Bronco II and Explorer have indicator lights in two locations. There are lights on the dash and LED indicator lights in the switches. Other vehicles have only the dash lights. If the dash lights on any vehicle don't respond, look for no power or a burned out bulb.

If the lights are on all the time, look for a short to ground. Also check to see if the shift control module is activating them all ... this is a malfunction.

If the LED lights, in the buttons, remain on all the time, first check to see if the dash lights are also on. If the dash lights are not on, this means that the dash lights have burned out. The LED lights are on because a low current is still passing across, enough to light the LED.

If no lights illuminate as you go through the shifts and ground power and bulbs are good, then the module is at fault or the motor has stopped at an intermediate point.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
4x4_mafia_jon
Banned

Bronco Info: 1989 bronco xlt. 302, AOD. Dana 44 SAS. ruffstuff "y" steering deaver coils,
I'm having a similar issue

Sent from my LG-E739 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
4x4_mafia_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
thomask

Quote:

Ranger, Bronco II and Explorer have indicator lights in two locations. There are lights on the dash and LED indicator lights in the switches. Other vehicles have only the dash lights. If the dash lights on any vehicle don't respond, look for no power or a burned out bulb.

If the lights are on all the time, look for a short to ground. Also check to see if the shift control module is activating them all ... this is a malfunction.

If the LED lights, in the buttons, remain on all the time, first check to see if the dash lights are also on. If the dash lights are not on, this means that the dash lights have burned out. The LED lights are on because a low current is still passing across, enough to light the LED.

If no lights illuminate as you go through the shifts and ground power and bulbs are good, then the module is at fault or the motor has stopped at an intermediate point.

Well if anybody could help me out more... where would i look for the shift control module and how to check for this malfunction. And where i could find the short to ground. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
thomask

Quote:

Well if anybody could help me out more... where would i look for the shift control module and how to check for this malfunction. And where i could find the short to ground. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
kf4amu
Try it now!!

I doubt u have a short to ground. The blinking LOW light indicates to me that the module is calling for a shift to 4LOW but conditions have not been met to complete the shift.

The module is next to the glovebox/above the passenger kick panel. Try the self test button and see if that resets it. I've had corrosion on the connectors that made it do weird things in the past. It's a reliable system if you understand how it works. I've seen just as many threads on here about manual shift linkages acting up and not shifting the t-case appropriately as I've seen people having electric shift issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!