Super confused on parts compatability with dana 44's - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
mantooth

Bronco Info: 1996 351w np435 swap, long arm sas, shackle flip 9" swap, 36" TSL Super Swampers grooved
Super confused on parts compatability with dana 44's

Basically sometime in the somewhat near future i will be doing a sas on my bronco. my buddy has a 79 hp dana 44 that he is selling me super cheap but it doesnt have spindles or hubs. he also has a set of chevy knuckles laying around. What im asking is that is there any way to make the axle complete with the parts is have? I did try searching but I just got really confused.

parts available:
-ford knuckles
-chevy knuckles
-ttb spindles
-ttb hubs
-ttb knuckles
-ttb everything else
mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
jopes
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
I know TTB knuckles will not work on a solid D44 axle

The TTB lockouts should swap between every internal lock out D44 out there for the most part.

Let's Go Fishing.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
mantooth

Bronco Info: 1996 351w np435 swap, long arm sas, shackle flip 9" swap, 36" TSL Super Swampers grooved
i know the lockouts work on all because i currently have the 79 style lockouts on my ttb. i just need to make a complete axle with what i have or for cheap. the axle has everything out to the knuckles. just no spindles hubs or brakes.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
jopes
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
I probably would do chevy brakes up front. They work so much better at stopping that the fords. I know a bunch of this stuff interchanges, I just can't remember off the top of my head.

GM made 2 different size spindles, small bearing and big bearing. I know you run GM knuckles, brake caliper brackets, and brake calipers. Ford hubs and rotors to retain 5 on 5.5. but I can't remember which spindle or bearings are needed.

Let's Go Fishing.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
mantooth

if there is a way to use my ttb brakes that would be awesome. Im in college and im on a very cheap budget. Basically i just want to get it done whether or not some things are done the right way i dont really care. I just want to get the solid front under there right before spring and i can always redo/replace things overtime.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #6
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantooth View Post
if there is a way to use my ttb brakes that would be awesome. Im in college and im on a very cheap budget. Basically i just want to get it done whether or not some things are done the right way i dont really care.
That's a very cavalier attitude, which is fine if you want to kill yourself. But other people use the roads, too, and they may NOT want to see parts of your axle falling off just before your 3-ton truck careens toward them.

Brakes & steering are not things to screw around with. Either do it right the FIRST time, or park it & walk. It's cheaper to pay someone who knows what he's doing AND to buy good parts than to pay a lawyer, court costs, the ambulances, the emergency rooms, the physical therapists, all the damage you do, and a portion of your earnings for the rest of your life.

. .
Steve83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
mantooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
That's a very cavalier attitude, which is fine if you want to kill yourself. But other people use the roads, too, and they may NOT want to see parts of your axle falling off just before your 3-ton truck careens toward them.

Brakes & steering are not things to screw around with. Either do it right the FIRST time, or park it & walk. It's cheaper to pay someone who knows what he's doing AND to buy good parts than to pay a lawyer, court costs, the ambulances, the emergency rooms, the physical therapists, all the damage you do, and a portion of your earnings for the rest of your life.
did i ask for a lecture? im obviously not going to drive my truck down the road without any braking. the ttb calipers and rotors work currently so there should be no reason for them to stop working just because they are on a solid axle. Thus why im asking the question if i have the necessary parts for completing the axle and if I do which parts do i need to use. I really dont feel it necessary to replace my perfectly good caliper for a chevy caliper. why replace something that works well enough. i posted this in the noobie tech section to not get flamed and to get a quick answer.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
jermil01
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweecer tuned
TTB calipers will work fine on your SAS. I'm using them on mine.

Vote 4 Top 4x4 Site!!!
jermil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Location: Northcentral,CA.Twain Harte, up here in the mountains
Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
Steve in no way flamed you so relax. some of us care if ppl put unsafe hacked together stuff on the rd where it might hurt some family. And that is exactly what it sounded like you were going to do.

If your in school and short on $ you should just put off the sas And Do it right the first time. Go read the noobie sas thread before you start any more threads on anything todo with a sas. all this info is there already for you.

I take Prayer Requests. God Bless
LarryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Quote:
did i ask for ...?
You posted on a public forum - you're asking for whatever you get, especially with a post like that. And I still haven't flamed you, so get the twist out of your knickers.

. .
Steve83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
reptillikus
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88ish bronco(?)/96 F250; both with D60s
I agree with Steve 100% because of this:

Quote:
i just want to get it done whether or not some things are done the right way i dont really care.
Steve didnt say TTB brakes were wrong, he simply said to do it right, and not to half-ass it because youre not the only one on the road.
reptillikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
mantooth

I have read a decent amount of the sas threads on this forum. I know how to do the sas. All I am asking is that is do i have the parts to put together a fully functional axle. Can the parts that i have be put together so that the brakes are not off set, the bearings ride on the spindle and hub in the correct places. All i asked was a simple question as to if they will go together. I dont need to be told what is safe and what is not. ttb calipers will work completely fine whether they are on a sas or on the ttb
Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
mantooth

what i meant by just wanting to get it done is put together all the necessary parts that i have around to make 1 complete axle and then over time upgrade to the more preferred parts
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
helirich

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Quote:
if there is a way to use my ttb brakes that would be awesome. Im in college and im on a very cheap budget. Basically i just want to get it done whether or not some things are done the right way i dont really care. I just want to get the solid front under there right before spring and i can always redo/replace things overtime.
I interpret that statement to mean that he was going to use Chevy parts on a Ford. I don't think that's "right". Infact at this point, I cant see doing a sas unless its a 60. But I have been short of funds in my younger days and understand you can't always get what you want. (Stones flashback)

In any case, if you read some suicidal tendencies into his remarks, you could just ask him to clarify before giving him a lecture.
helirich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
mantooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
I interpret that statement to mean that he was going to use Chevy parts on a Ford. I don't think that's "right". Infact at this point, I cant see doing a sas unless its a 60. But I have been short of funds in my younger days and understand you can't always get what you want. (Stones flashback)

In any case, if you read some suicidal tendencies into his remarks, you could just ask him to clarify before giving him a lecture.
thanks for understanding. If i could afford a 60 i would put a 60 in but the 44 im getting is literally for 75 dollars so i cant really pass this up plus i can probably sell the ttb drop brackets to recoup some of the money
Old 12-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #16
cajunrebel
Chillin on the Gulf Coast

Bronco Info: Blue 89' EB 5.0, E4OD, OBDII, Mass Air, Saginaw, Hydroboost, 3G alt
I paid $127 for my D44, complete hub to hub, even the brake line. You can get better prices. The parts that are missing are not cheap. If you are planning to stay 5 on 5.5" then you might do well to wait for someone to convert their solid D44 to 8 lug and pick up their outers. I already have my 8 lug parts and am just waiting to get back to the states to swap my stuff out. I am also not the only person doing such a swap.
cajunrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
mantooth

Ok so basically all i really need to complete it then is chevy brake calipers? I can put chevy knuckles, ttb spindles, ttb hubs/rotors, and chevy calipers and that works?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
psychlopath
Ranger: 2001 - Present

Bronco Info: 1979 Freewheel'n, PowrLok, ARB, OBA, and anything else I can cram in
Quote:
...whether or not some things are done the right way i dont really care...
This should be a signature line. He's just saying what we're all thinking.

amiright?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #19
Tullio
RAAAAAH!

Bronco Info: '90 FSB, SAS'ed, locked, geared, caged, gutted, built and filthy
Quote:
if there is a way to use my ttb brakes that would be awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
TTB calipers will work fine on your SAS. I'm using them on mine.
Not necessarily true. Remember we had a whole discussion going on during my SAS?

It looks like some TTB calipers will fit the 79 axle and some will not.

Refer to post 18 of this thread

Best way as of now is to try and see.

302 roller, GT40 heads, E-fan, off-road cam, headers, 35x14.5 Pitbull Bias Rockers, 10" aluminum wheels, 4.56 gears, rear Detroit Locker, front Truetrac, built AOD, Kodiak auto steps, custom exhaust, full 2" DOM cage, PRP reclining suspension seats and harness, D44 SAS, 1.5" DOM/heim steering, Deaver coils, Bilstein 7100 14", F350 brakes
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!