Axle manufactures - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
itwasFREE!!!!
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 92,302,E4odw/1200stal,stak3spd monsterbox,35s,4.88,f&r ectedmax,hydroassits,sas,cuttingbrks,viair,3g
Axle manufactures

Ok so after reading the archives, which are pretty old(2008), I'm wondering what everyone's running in their sas Dana 44 & 60! Here's a picture of a Yukon Chrome Moly. Passenger frt outer!!! Check out this break! Looks like its cut right in half with a laser. I say it's a defect! What your opinion? Every other axle shattered. This one and where it broke inside hub assembly without breaking unjoint which by the way is a Yukon 760 super joint! Would like to here from you all.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Location: Northcentral,CA.Twain Harte, up here in the mountains
Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
That is normal for the Yukon to break right there at the splines,I've seen 20+ Yukon break right there plus my own twice.

I take Prayer Requests. God Bless
LarryP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
reptillikus
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88ish bronco(?)/96 F250; both with D60s
I broke a 'stock' Dana 70 shaft the same way. Dont know why.

I have Yukon Chromos in my D60 & 70, and cant break em. Broke a whole D60 in half but i couldnt snap a shaft
reptillikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Location: Northcentral,CA.Twain Harte, up here in the mountains
Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
You are an animal rep

I take Prayer Requests. God Bless
LarryP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
reptillikus
ate lug

These things just happen
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
helirich

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Ones time a guy told me that all axle "blanks" are made by the same company. He said that the blanks were made stock or high strength. The aftermarket axle company's just cut the splines and grind bearing shoulders and such.. But all the after market axle company's are just BS as far as claiming theirs is the strongest. I'm not saying I can confirm this. Anybody else heard this?
helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
Alvin in AZ
AKA: Butthead

Bronco Info: '91 RoadQueen 351w-2wd-ZF camtiming+4* 265/75-16E's dual Ranchos F&R, SuperCab bench seat EEC=F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasFREE!!!! View Post
Check out this break! Looks like its cut right in half with a laser.
I say it's a defect! What your opinion? Every other axle shattered.
This one and where it broke inside hub assembly without breaking
unjoint which by the way is a Yukon 760 super joint!
Would like to here from you all.
Failure analysis is a branch of steel metallurgy a guy can spend their
life learning. Seems easy from the outside but quickly gets involved
when you get into it very far.

I know just enough to get myself into trouble. ;)

That looks like to me a fatigue failure, and it being chrome-moly
steel makes me feel like they ain't heat treating 'em worth anything?

What's weird is how Dana's people are like experts at heat treating tho.

If your particular setup allows (makes?) the shaft bend with every
revolution then there's where one problem is. Can you fix that?

>shrug<

Alvin in AZ
ps- Heli's post showed up while working on mine. Wow that would sure
explain a lot about "Dana's people" -if- the axles were basically out of
their hands.
Alvin in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
reptillikus
ate lug

Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
But all the after market axle company's are just BS as far as claiming theirs is the strongest. I'm not saying I can confirm this. Anybody else heard this?

Not true. I know a vendor in tight with Yukon, and their original chromo line is not the same as their 'extreme' line so thats two different blanks right there. There are various other vendors who have their own suppliers for making the blanks too. Thats not to say some vendors dont share blanks; Yukon was guily of being one of the companies buying chinese chromo D44 blanks several years back altho im told they no longer do.

A big thing with the shaft's strength is also what method, and how well, it was heat tread afterwards.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
helirich

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptillikus View Post
Not true. I know a vendor in tight with Yukon, and their original chromo line is not the same as their 'extreme' line so thats two different blanks right there. There are various other vendors who have their own suppliers for making the blanks too. Thats not to say some vendors dont share blanks; Yukon was guily of being one of the companies buying chinese chromo D44 blanks several years back altho im told they no longer do.

A big thing with the shaft's strength is also what method, and how well, it was heat tread afterwards.
What this guy said was that there was only one US manufacture and Strange, Yukon, Moser and others all got the blanks from them.

I know from the aircraft industry that the heat treat is like 50% of the strength. Little things like where the gear is placed in the oven make a difference. (we were getting gears) But, all the grinding is done after it is treated because the process warps them just a little. I was assuming that the blanks were already treated before going to the aftermarket manufacture.

So your saying that Yukon makes their own blanks now? Or are you saying they are still buying them and there's more than two grades available? Do they do their own heat treating?
helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
itwasFREE!!!!
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 92,302,E4odw/1200stal,stak3spd monsterbox,35s,4.88,f&r ectedmax,hydroassits,sas,cuttingbrks,viair,3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptillikus View Post

So after reading your comment, which axles do you run now? The original Yukon or the extreme, if the extreme are they that much better ( bang for your buck)?
I like their u joints especially when comparing them to CTM u joint price!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
reptillikus
ate lug

I still run the 'old' yukon shafts; after 6 years i only broke two, 1 from a ujoint failure (i now run yukon superjoints), and i bent one when i broke the d60 housing. Aside from that, i cant break em so i dont see a reason to upgrade. I have been told to run the 'extreme' d44 shaft, because they are stronger than an oem dana 60 shaft, whereas the old ones, well, everyone knows those arent so great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post

So your saying that Yukon makes their own blanks now? Or are you saying they are still buying them and there's more than two grades available? Do they do their own heat treating?
The base line yukon shafts, they buy. Used to be from china, now from USA but im not sure of the supplier, im not privy to that kind of info. i do know that the whole process for the two yukon shafts is different (especially the heat treating), which is what makes they yukon extreme line so much better. Beyond that, i cant say w/o speculation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!