Motor damage from wrong flywheel? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
87SLbronco

Bronco Info: 87 carb fed 5.0L, NP435, NP205, 3.55 gears Stock everything
Motor damage from wrong flywheel?

I know for sure I have the wrong balanced flywheel on my motor. Someone reused the 0 balance flywheel off the 4.9 when they swapped motors to a 302 (which in my case requires the 50oz imbalance flywheel). I'm not worried about doing the swap but what I am worried about is what kind of damage might have been done to the motor during the time they PO drove the truck that way? At the moment I can't tell if there is any unusual knocking or ticking coming from the bottom end because of how bad the motor shakes after you fire up the engine. I guess I'm really concerned about the crank bearings, besides that what else should I be looking for? Rear main seals, water pump issues?? Anything like that?
87SLbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Bronco Info: 2006 Kia Spectra
Swap the flywheel and see what happens. You may be worrying for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco" John Galt View Post
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis
TheUnforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
87SLbronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
Swap the flywheel and see what happens. You may be worrying for nothing.
I hope so but I do know that the PO drove the bko long enough and hard enough that he cracked the bell housing on the transmission (then again that could have happened 5 minutes after doing the swap and getting it running???)

But if I do have to rebuild or buy a new motor it shouldn't be to bad since I'm just going to sell my car and put the money into getting the bronco finished.

Never should have bought a chrysler product in the first place
Old 12-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
BigBud

Bronco Info: Sold the 79 waiting for a next to free 80s to snatch
If your rear main isn't leaking horribly and you still have good oil pressure then the main bearings are probably not gone yet. Change to the right flywheel and keep going.

Old guys,......they're tricky.
BigBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87SLbronco View Post
I know for sure I have the wrong balanced flywheel on my motor. Someone reused the 0 balance flywheel off the 4.9 when they swapped motors to a 302 (which in my case requires the 50oz imbalance flywheel).
How do you know this FOR SURE?

My question is, would a 300 flexplate/flywheel even bolt up properly to a 302? There are offset holes on all flexplates/flywheels.

~ Scott ~

~My Exhaust clip on YouTube ~ 210k on the odometer. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 22 years ~
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
87SLbronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackman9975 View Post
How do you know this FOR SURE?

My question is, would a 300 flexplate/flywheel even bolt up properly to a 302? There are offset holes on all flexplates/flywheels.
I have read many many threads on this site along with others that have said 300, 302, and I believe 351 flywheels have an interchangeable fit however they don't have the same balance weight. And I know the harmonic balancer is the correct one for my current engine.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
1starvingtrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87SLbronco View Post
I have read many many threads on this site along with others that have said 300, 302, and I believe 351 flywheels have an interchangeable fit however they don't have the same balance weight. And I know the harmonic balancer is the correct one for my current engine.
I am just curious how you know for sure also. Did the previous owner admit using the flywheel from a 300? I don't see how the wrong flywheel here is going to crack or break the bell housing. Maybe the bell housing was damaged during installation or bolts left loose or something. You could also have something wrong with clutch assembly or internal engine.
1starvingtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
cajunrebel
Chillin on the Gulf Coast

Bronco Info: Blue 89' EB 5.0, E4OD, OBDII, Mass Air, Saginaw, Hydroboost, 3G alt
I have seen the wrong balance take out an entire engine block. Very quickly too. My buddy bought a RX-7 with a 302 in it and the PO put a neutral balanced flywheel and harmonic balancer on it. The motor had stress fractures in the bearing journals and the caps. The cranks was cracked and the rods were damaged as well.
cajunrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
87SLbronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1starvingtrucker View Post
I am just curious how you know for sure also. Did the previous owner admit using the flywheel from a 300? I don't see how the wrong flywheel here is going to crack or break the bell housing. Maybe the bell housing was damaged during installation or bolts left loose or something. You could also have something wrong with clutch assembly or internal engine.
I guess I honestly can't say that it is the wrong one but I'm taking an educated guess here from the information I have collected from fellow ford owners via this website and other ford truck forums. The original bell housing was cracked almost completely in half (from left to right, looking at the transmission/bell housing from the rear toward the back of the motor, as if in a twisting motion) and no where near the bolts. I would have to take a picture of a bell housing and show you where but I don't have access to that right now. But I do know that the motor shakes like an S.O.B. and it's not the harmonic balancer...... So I am going to replace the flywheel and whole clutch assembly because of everything being exposed to the elements (transmission was removed by PO due to him noticing the crack and it was sat in the back seat) for almost 8 months and I don't want to take the chance of screwing up a brand new flywheel because the clutch and pressure plate are bad as well.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
I would verify that the firing order is correct. Also verify that all fuel injectors are working properly/plugged in. Maybe do a compression test too.

~ Scott ~

~My Exhaust clip on YouTube ~ 210k on the odometer. Now my daily driver once again. ~
Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
87SLbronco

Never thought about the firing order because it is hard to start sometimes and doesn't like to idle that well but then again it's kinda frustrating working with a carbed motor. I forgot to mention that when they did the swap they went backwards and went with a carbed 302.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #12
reptillikus
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88ish bronco(?)/96 F250; both with D60s
Definitely check your firing order then, its very possible its wrong. Check all the basics.
reptillikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

302's have two different firing orders.

15426378 & 13726548

~ Scott ~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!