Yet another noise thread - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
desertdog

Bronco Info: 89 351W rebuilt 55k miles, 3G swap, relocated TFI, cherry bomb exhaust, 6 inch pro comp lift' 33's
Yet another noise thread

Coming home the other night i noticed a whining/chirping noise coming from underneath at speeds less than 45.

I put Bucky on jacks and let it idle in gear to pinpoint the source of the noise and sure enough it sounds like its coming from the transfer case.....and only happens when the drive train is rotating and speeds up with the rpms.

First thing i check the fluid in the transfer case, and of course its full...so what the hell could it be?
desertdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
JBfab

Bronco Info: 94 C150 prerunner 351/zf/maf. To many mods to list.
Maybe your tc pump took a dump. Or the pump excentric spun and tore the rubber pump line.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
desertdog

Bronco Info: 89 351W rebuilt 55k miles, 3G swap, relocated TFI, cherry bomb exhaust, 6 inch pro comp lift' 33's
So would the noise be coming from friction due to lack of lube?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
JBfab

Its a possibility. Ive had one go and it lasted about 200 more miles when after i relized there was a problem. Had to get home. The only way to save them for awile longer if this is the case. Is to remove the tcase and over fill it with fluid. But again this is only temporary.

I belive you can shine a flash light into the fill hole and spot the pump line. Or drain it and inspect for chunks of hose or metal from the pump excentric. If you dont find an issue it only cost you a few dollars in fluid.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
desertdog

Lets say the pump has failed, should i just hit the junk yard or go for the rebuild?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
JBfab

If it is the pump. I would open up yours and see if it wa the arm itself that went. Or see if it wore threw the grove it sits in. Either of which can be fixed with a rebuild. But if it ate threw the grove your going to have to weld an flat on the end of the pump ex. I would anyways it helps alot. Theres a tech write up on rebuilding these tc's. they are super easy only thing is make sure you have a good pair of snap ring pliers.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
desertdog

Any tips on pulling the TC? Anything special tools or tips before i go for it?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
JBfab

Drain it using a 3/8 ratchet and extension. You need a 12pt 12mm wrench for the rear drive shaft bolts. I belive the same wrench will work for the front drive shaft, when you pull the u-bolts out wrap some tape on around the universal caps. This will keep them in place and save some agrivation, i use electrical tape so the caps dont stick to the tape when i pull it off. Disconnect all electrical connections, ie 4x indicator light, electric motor wiring if it is electric shift, vss connector on tailshaft if equiped. Pull the spring clip strait out of the speed sensor and pull the cable strait out (if equipped). If its man shift take a pry bar and pop the linkage off at the t case. Find the breather tube and remove it from the uclip its in then its six bolts 13mm iirc and no worries it wont just fall on ya so take them all out. Then wiggle it loose while pulling it twards the rear of the truck and use caution it weighs about 75lbs or so. Not to heavy but okward.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
desertdog

Excellent, thanks!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
desertdog

There is a guy locally selling a AOD transmission and transfer case out of a 95 FSB.
He doesn't know the model of transfer case and is only asking $100

If i just took the transfer case would it work? anyone know?
Old 12-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
JBfab

It will bolt up. But what year did it come out of? And is it manual shift or electric. If you have electric you need to get the mount on the side of the trans shifter/boot and linkage to make it all work. If its the same t case doesnt have the speedo output and yours did you could always use it for parts.

If it were me id just open up yours and see whats going on. Rebuild kits are usually under $100 anyways. And some parts can be bought seperate.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
desertdog

Ok, i pulled the transfer case......but noticed i needed to pull the spindle nuts (shaft nut) off before i can get to the speedo gear and so forth. Doing a little research i read a 1.25 in 6 sided socket works.....but without luck it just seems that the socket walls are too thick, i also tried a 32 mm socket with the same problem.

Does anyone know what kind of socket i need to pull this nut off? 89 FSB 5.8w BW1356 TC C6 Trans

Last edited by desertdog; 01-04-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
desertdog

I read on another forum that i might have to track down a 32mm NON IMPACT socket! with thinner walls. Anyone else have success with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!