Can anyone tell me what caused this damage? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
spikemagnus

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco 351W 9" lift M/T 39.5X18s
Can anyone tell me what caused this damage?

I took my 88 Bronco 351/c6 to a repair shop in Lexington Ky(Powers Transmissions). Supposedly they do engine work according to the ad in phone book. When the temp outside was really cold I would get a slight lifter tic for a few minutes. I keep the Bronco perfect so wanted to get it fixed. Shop told me it needed lifters, I told them to go ahead and do it. When I came back to pick the Bronco up, it was at full op temp but was ticking and worse than before when it was cold.
They told me to bring it back Mon(was friday at 5). I drove off and it got really loud. Pulled in to another shop and had them look at it. They pulled the heads and found one of the lifters had been chewed to pieces and spit metal everywhere plus scored the lifter bore.
Im trying to figure out what caused the damage. They did not replace the cam(and until getting on here, didnt realize you had to when changing lifters). I would expect the shop should know that. Is that what caused the damage? Any help would be appreciated. Its now an expensive lawsuit thats bleeding me.Hopefully the pics will show when I post this they arent showing in preview
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater

Last edited by spikemagnus; 12-19-2012 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Pics arent showing
spikemagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
V8Ranger

Bronco Info: 1996 5.8 EB, 33's
Perhaps the original problem was the cam rather than the lifters. In any case you need both now and you have a motor that needs to be flushed out real good or even tore down to get the metal partials cleaned out. There it's lots of talk on the forums about new oils being inadequate for older flat tappet cams.

Carl
V8Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Robhowardiii

Bronco Info: 93 bronco 9"s of lift, 94 powerstroke 6" lift
I have gotten away with not just replacing lifters on a few small block chevys. That looks to be 1: your old lifters messed up your cam, 2: your cam caused your first lifters to go bad. (underliing oil supply issue?) 3: assembled with no/wrong assembley lube. 4: improper break in (i have heard both sides that you need to brake them in and that you don't. I follow cam brake in prosedure to be safe), 4: to big valve springs/ too tight surfing brake in.

1994 f250 powerstroke Dana 60 6" lift 37 12.5 16.5 Goodyear MT (my truck)

Last edited by Robhowardiii; 12-19-2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: typo
Robhowardiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Andrew James
Age. Fac ut gaudeam

Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco RangerXLT 400/C6
By the way, nice Bronco mate.
2000 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0/5speed
1984 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD
Andrew James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
It would take a GOOD machinist to say for sure, but it looks like no assembly lube on the face of the cam lobe. It appears that the cam lobe is still angled (as it should be), and that the lifter was rotating (as it should) for a little while. But the cam lobe was eating into the lifter's face instead of sliding on an oil film between them.

I suspect a lawsuit will cost you at least triple what an engine will, and you KNOW the engine wasn't perfect before, so cut your losses, and move on. Good used engines CAN be found in junkyards for $300-800, and you CAN install one by yourself if you read, research, & prep.

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
spikemagnus

Im already a year in on the lawsuit actually. There is more to it than just the lifter damage. Engine was torn down and metal had destroyed it. Evidently shavings scratched some surfaces deeply enough where they couldnt be resurfaced(this came from the shop that caused the damage). The engine wasnt an old junker in it. It was spotless and ran perfect. Slight lifter tick at warm up when below freezing only. They also broke the intake, and tabs off distributor. They jb welded the intake and spray painted it thinking I wouldnt notice. When negotiations broke down with owner and he said "sue me", I said I was coming to tow truck. Got there and parts were thrown in parking lot and body damage all over Bronco. He refused mediation twice so suing was all that remained to do. I just dont see how one lifter got ground down so deeply and no damage to the others. Also happened in less than 5 miles.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
spikemagnus

Thanks man!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
390gt

Bronco Info: 1995 xlt,302,3in lift,33in mud claws,custom exhaust and intake.MSD ignition system,automatic
ive seen that happen when the valves are not adjusted correctly.

THE BLACK PEARL
390gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
f150inline

Bronco Info: f150
he damaged the body too?
Old 12-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
Andrew James
Age. Fac ut gaudeam

Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco RangerXLT 400/C6
That is what I read, he can't do that man.... That ain't cool.
2000 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0/5speed
1984 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD
Andrew James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
bigbluebomber95

If it were my rig I would have givin the owner a molitove coctail at @ 11.00 pm and made sure it went through a window. Okay the engine damge was bad enough but to do the body damage, no f@#$%ng way!!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
convcit

Bronco Info: 1984 with a 351W, HEI Dist, Hedman headers, Holly carb, C6, 3in suspension lift, 35in Falken tires.
you can get him in the pocket.. If he or his Tech are ASE certified, if you can prove and have documented everything, I was told you could have them "investegated" by "ASE" again, so I have been told never done it or seen it done.... I ran auto shops for years and when we "F*^$ED"up... we ate the cost of repairs. Any shop with morals would do the same thing.. I would submit a claim with anyone who will listen.. BBB, CARR, anybody hes is associated with... if you want to be a bit risky.. contact the local parts suppliers (orielly or also known as first call, pioner parts, ccap, the zone, exxcell, ect in the area) and ask them if they supply said parts and tell them that the shop is blaming the parts and untill they provide the supplier you are forced to include them all, this happened to a shop I worked for when I first got into auto shops.. yea it'll get attention real quick when he cant get parts. But it may bite you back.

you seem to be taking the high road on this and I give you props for that... I wish I could say I would do the same... mines old beatup and grumpy... but I dont drive her becouse its just a ride... Its a FSB... Dents give caractor but dents from so called professionals.... yea I agree with the moltove coktail idea...
Old 12-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #13
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by convcit View Post
yea I agree with the moltove coktail idea...
Does your username indicate that you've tried that before?

BTW
"Molotov"

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
spikemagnus

Convcit, good info. I went the way of the BBB from day 1 but shop refused mediation. I wondered about ASE getting involved. Im going to look into that. I dont understand why he didnt just turn it in to his insurance company but he is just being an ahole about it.
I would have preferred to handle this myself but Ive been in trouble many times and it costs alot more to defend yourself than it does to sue another person. Found that out the hard way, plus jail sucks! Thanks to everyone that posted!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #15
convcit

Bronco Info: 1984 with a 351W, HEI Dist, Hedman headers, Holly carb, C6, 3in suspension lift, 35in Falken tires.
if hes a small shop he probly only carries a rider policy which will cover the vehicles during the test drives... i know here in Harris county that is the only policy alot of the small shops have and theres no "requirement" to keep more than that other then to CYA... this is the only decent info I found for ASE.. although there were no complaint dept contacts..

https://www.ase.com/About-ASE/Contact-Us.aspx
Old 12-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #16
rhauf
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 82 bronco 408w 4" lift 35's, 88 bronco 351w all stock on 31s
if a lifter goes bad that ruins the cam too.. once a cam lobe and lifter break in together, they are together for life!

i've seen cams go flat from:
improper break-in procedure
horrible valve adjustment.

but in this case, changing only the lifter was the mistake. should have changed cam and lifters together. sounds like the mechanic is a complete moron. good luck.

Check out my youtube page. Many bronco videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rhauf1
rhauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #17
CustomNewbie

Bronco Info: 1979 custom with a 400
that's horrible! what ever happened to good customer service!?
CustomNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #18
jopes
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
1st mistake was taking it to a shop to have a slight tick at cold start up repaired.

It could have been improper oil weight or crappy oil filter.

But if it messed up the lifter bore your going to need a new engine now.

Let's Go Fishing.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #19
spikemagnus

Yeh the engine is fubar. Luckily its a shop that has multiple locations in my town. Pretty good sized outfit. I looked at ASE site as well and didnt see any complaint links so I sent them an email asking if they offer help in situations like this. What is the best, most detailed manual for the correct procedure on installing new lifters?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #20
war1ock

Bronco Info: 1980 300 I6 4spd/1981 302 C6
Probably a Ford service manual. Then no-one can say its the wrong procedure when its coming straight from the engines OEM.

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!