best tranny temp sensor location - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Best Tranny Temp Gauge Sensor Location
Return line 4 8.89%
Feed line 10 22.22%
Pressure test port 19 42.22%
Pan (drill and tap a hole) 12 26.67%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco 5.8 DD, 88 Bronco motorless Mudder
best tranny temp sensor location

i want to hear where you think is the best place for an aftermarket tranny temp sensor to be installed. this has been debated many times i think its time for a poll

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
Kingfish999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Which trans?

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 214k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco 5.8 DD, 88 Bronco motorless Mudder
really any auto tranny. C6 AOD E4OD. anything really that you would think helps to know the temp. i dont think you would need to know in say Unforgivens KIA but in say anythnig that offroads or tows or even races

i see really good reasons for any of the spots but not so much for the pressure test port. the return line lets you know how cool the fluid is coming into the tranny and lets you know your coolers are working properly. the feed line tells you how hot the fluid is comnig out which says how hard your tranny is working. the test port doesnt really say much because the fluid doesnt really flow so its really jsut the tranny case temp. the pan tells you more of an average of how hot the tranny fluid is.

i myself might even put in 3 sensors and use a 3 way switch to change the guage back and forth between them

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
Kingfish999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
jermil01
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweecer tuned
I use the pressure test port and think it's fine. the hole is already there and it's a convenient location.

but hey if you want to use 3 sensors, go for it and post up the results..would be interesting to the how much of a variation in temp there is between the different locations.

Vote 4 Top 4x4 Site!!!
jermil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
JBfab

Bronco Info: 94 C150 prerunner 351/zf/maf. To many mods to list.
I voted for feed line. That is the hottest the fluid is going to get there for you know when your in trouble.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Seattle FSB
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1990 EB FSB, MAF, 6.7L, E4OD, 4" Rancho, 4.56, 33" on 15x10 Alcoa's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
I use the pressure test port and think it's fine. the hole is already there and it's a convenient location.

but hey if you want to use 3 sensors, go for it and post up the results..would be interesting to the how much of a variation in temp there is between the different locations.

x2

I want to know the temp inside my trans, not outside. I will say that I had a 50 degree difference between my pan mounted sender and the current pressure port mounted sender. Then again, I have a lot of external cooling mods...
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 214k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Shadofax
Owned 18yrs, now for 20

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,37" MTR Kevlar, 4.56etc.
PTP....it's there and easy to plumb. I don't want to go cutting into lines all over and risk leaks later on. I can compare with others that have installed there as well. The tranny guys that rebuild on this site also recommend this location. Once I had the gauge, I would never want to confuse myself with multiple gauges for a tranny. I moved on to a manually activated puller fan for the tranny external cooler for summer high temp traffic or slow going on trails at altitude.

Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
mnlabgeek

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 5.8L, GT40 heads, Edelbrock truck intake, headers w full 3" exhaust
Test port. I just added mine last night.

That being said, I think other locations would give more accurate results. The readings at the test port will give a relative temperature of the trans and fluid, so I am aware of any issues. Any overheat at one portion of the trans will likely be an overheat of the whole trans.

BTW- Don't be fooled by easy, convenient holes.
mnlabgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo,
as the Kingfish, JER, da Shado, SACK, mnl advised & Paul (thePUNISHER) wrote elsewhere in FSB, the best place to get the trans temp is the line pressure port (shown as "TAP" in diagram) (1/8" NPT ID according to SEATTLEBRONCO) in the driver side of the trans. the auto meter sender threads right in here. nice clean install..."
Jasonhughes wrote that it is a 12mm pipe plug.

Also, I was thinking of using the E4OD's internal Transmission Oil Temperature Sensor (also ref to as Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT)) Sensor for readings;
Location in Valve Body Diagram

Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB)

. It is a temperature-sensitive device called a thermistor. The resistance value of the transmission fluid temperature sensor will vary with temperature change. The powertrain control module monitors voltage across the transmission fluid temperature sensor to determine the temperature of the transmission fluid. The powertrain control module uses this signal to determine whether a cold start shift schedule is necessary. The cold start shift schedule lowers shift speeds to allow for the reduced performance of cold engine operation. The powertrain control module also uses the transmission fluid temperature sensor input to adjust electronic pressure control pressure for temperature effects and inhibit torque converter clutch operation during the warm-up period

This is for the 94 (see below)
Attached Images

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Shadofax
Owned 18yrs, now for 20

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,37" MTR Kevlar, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnlabgeek View Post

That being said, I think other locations would give more accurate results. The readings at the test port will give a relative temperature of the trans and fluid, so I am aware of any issues. Any overheat at one portion of the trans will likely be an overheat of the whole trans.

Hmmmm, good advice, I'll try not to get fooled into anything I'll regret, but the temptation.........

Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Booba5185

Bronco Info: 89 F150...close to a Bronco?
My pressure test port is in use on my AOD so what would be a good fall back? the feed line going to the cooler?
89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4 Longbed, 3.55 LS 80,XXX Original Miles, GT40Ps, Roller, MAF, Custom Y-pipe, Mustang headers, 3g Alt, Big 3+ Upgrade, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Sixlitre Tune-up, Explorer Injectors, Remote mounted ICM, Insulated Intake tubing\Filter Box Mod, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 MC\Booster\Rear clyinders, Autopage Remote Start, 9007 conversion, so much more.
Booba5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
The TFT (if present in the particular model of trans) is in the best location - that's why the engineers who designed the trans put the sensor there. There IS fluid flowing past the test port, so that might be the next-best. The goal of the sensor is to find the HOTTEST fluid in the trans, so the outlet to the cooler loop is a close third (maybe 2nd), but only if you keep the sender very close to the trans case (before any cooling can occur, and away from the exhaust). The pan is where cooling occurs, so I wouldn't put one there. The only reason to have one on the return line would be to monitor the COOLER(S); not the trans.

. .
Steve83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
Ryan87LX

Bronco Info: 89 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AOD
I did a lot of research into this before I put my sensor in, and I will tell you that every location has positives and negatives, and you will find people who adamantly support each location.

In my opinion, after all the research I did, is that it doesn't matter. What DOES matter is that you look at the guage often and get to know your truck. If your guage usually reads 160* and you're wheeling hard and it says 260* - then you're in trouble.

So where ever you put it, learn where normal is for your truck. And when you're wheeling, pay attention to the guage so you don't cook your trans.

Last edited by Ryan87LX; 12-21-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: subscribing
Ryan87LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #15
BFE1193

Bronco Info: 86 BKO 5.0 EFI AOD 3:55 gears 31'' Goodyear Duratrac Wranglers
In the output line for the cooler, even though mine personally is in the test port, but when I put in my tranny filter I plan to put it in one of the ports of the filter base, now where to mount it?
BFE1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
DNBELOWBRONCO

Bronco Info: '96, 5.8, 4.56, 4", 35's, Thorleys, Warn 8274, 5100's, 160 3G, Sag, 10.25, E-fan, Projectors, 8-Lug
Quote:

Since the sensor doesn't sit in fluid, when you installed the sensor in the test port, did you lose any fluid or was it a fairly clean install, fluid wise? Thanks! -Kevin-

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Seuss-
DNBELOWBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #17
mnlabgeek

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 5.8L, GT40 heads, Edelbrock truck intake, headers w full 3" exhaust
Lost about 1 drop. Took all of 30 seconds. Just finished wiring the gauge, which took much longer (darn E-lectronics).
Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
DNBELOWBRONCO

Bronco Info: '96, 5.8, 4.56, 4", 35's, Thorleys, Warn 8274, 5100's, 160 3G, Sag, 10.25, E-fan, Projectors, 8-Lug
Quote:
Lost about 1 drop. Took all of 30 seconds. Just finished wiring the gauge, which took much longer (darn E-lectronics).
Nice, that's what I figured. I picked up an Auto Meter oil pressure and water temp electric gauge and just need the trans temp. Auto Meter has a cool 3-gauge pod that mounts between the rear view mirror and the headliner..... -Kevin-

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-18017

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-7549

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Seuss-
Old 12-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
mnlabgeek

Those Phantom series of gauges look like Dodge....maybe that was your plan.

Did you see the Autometer 3357 gauge with black face? About $20 cheaper too.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-3357/overview/
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #20
DNBELOWBRONCO

Quote:
Those Phantom series of gauges look like Dodge....maybe that was your plan.

Did you see the Autometer 3357 gauge with black face? About $20 cheaper too.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-3357/overview/
Those are nice too just a little plain like the old SW gauges! http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sw...2/media/images
I just like the double outline and the White face with the half Red pointer, just caught my eye.
I picked them up off Craigslist, new in box, for half price but he didn't have the trans..... -Kevin-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech