ECT ACT no start issues - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
jobei

Bronco Info: 87 Eddie 302 EFI AOD on 33"s
ECT ACT no start issues

So, drove to work last friday, got out and tried to start the rig up and it was a no go. Ran codes and got a 21 and 24, ACT and ECT sensors. The sensors were both pretty much junk, got new ones, and the damn thing still won't start. It's turning over, I got gas and spark (pulled a plug good blue spark and smelled of gas), but it just won't catch. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Also, checked the wires to the sensors, both got a good solid 5V like they're supposed to.
jobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
jobei

Also so I'm giving all info, I unplugged the battery for about fifteen minutes, let it reset, and tried the start again. Got the codes again too.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
huggyb1972
I did all for the Nookie

Bronco Info: 89' Bronco 5.8l Variable Speed V8, Forward, Rev, Turns left, right, stops, and everything.
Neither of those would really keep it from running ACT will make it will make it smell like rotten eggs if memory serves correctly. Give it a shot of starting fluid If it fires off you need to look more towards the fuel system if it don't then look more at the ignition side.

351W, ZF5-47, BW1356, 10.25/D60
FOTM DEC. 2011
"Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati,"
When all else fails roll over and play dead.
huggyb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
jobei

Starting fluid seems to be a constant in what people are telling me to try. I've also read a couple of places here that the ECT will keep it from starting. What I'm concerned about is that I've fixed the problem and the codes keep coming back.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
85turdburger

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 300 straight 6, early carb and dist conversion, 33X10.50 4inch rough country lift
When you pulled the plug, was it wet or black and sooty?
85turdburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
jobei

Nope. Plugs look nice and healthy.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
huggyb1972
I did all for the Nookie

Bronco Info: 89' Bronco 5.8l Variable Speed V8, Forward, Rev, Turns left, right, stops, and everything.
ECT is going to help the ECM determine whether to run open or closed loop fueling I don't think it will keep from running though. So you are saying it is running but badly now and throwing codes? if you are getting good fuel pressure and the TFI is functioning correctly along with good spark it will run. That why I said try a shot of starting fluid if you have good spark/ignition system it will run if not it won't

351W, ZF5-47, BW1356, 10.25/D60
FOTM DEC. 2011
"Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati,"
When all else fails roll over and play dead.
huggyb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
miesk5
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
yo J,

Did you go through the Self Test for Codes yet? KOEO

And the No Start Troubleshooting, but Starter Cranks Engine in 4.9, 5.0, or 5.8L; "....TIP 1: Since a lot of folks confuse a No Crank Condition with a No Start Condition... I'll clear it up right now: In a No Start Condition means your vehicle's Starter Motor is cranking the Engine but the Engine is not starting. In a No Crank Condition, the Engine is not cranking when you turn the key to crank the Engine. This article only deals with a No Start Condition..." read more
Source: by easyautodiagnostics

Spark Tester, DIY, Long Version to use for many years (for quick test forget wires and drilling, use clamp on plugs flat sides; W/ an old spark plug and cut off the L-shaped tip,& clean up the center electrode and surrounding metal with a bit of sandpaper. Drill a small hole in the thickest part of the metal (where the socket is placed to R&R). Use a metal screw to attach a length of wire, a couple of feet, to the body of the spark plug. To the other end of the wire, solder or otherwise attach a big alligator clip. Since the tip is cut off, the spark will have to be stronger to jump the wider gap. It is harder for a spark to form in a compressed cylinder so it more accurately represents the spark performance under running conditions. With the engine off, remove the spark plug wire you wish to test from the spark plug. Attach the spark tester to the plug wire and connect the alligator clip to a good ground. Remember that the coil output can give you a very nasty shock, so make sure to wear thick gloves or use a rag to hold the tester, and not to touch the body of the car when the system is energized. Hold the tester away from the car body and use your remote starter switch or have an assistant start the car (or simply turn it over). You should get a healthy bluish white spark from the center post to the side of the spark tester. COIL; If your coil is already off the Bronco, you can bench test your coil. To set up the test, remove one spark plug wire from its plug, then remove the spark plug using a spark plug socket. Next put the spark plug back into the spark plug wire. Be careful not to let anything drop into the empty spark plug hole. Holding the plug wire with insulated pliers, find a spot on the engine that is a good and easily accessible grounding point. Pretty much any exposed metal, including the engine itself, will do. Holding the spark plug wire with your pliers, touch the threaded portion of the spark plug to the grounding point. Have somebody crank the engine with the key, and look for a bright blue spark to jump across the spark plug gap. If you see a nice, bright spark (clearly visible in daylight) your coil is doing its job.

my broncolinks.com was "disturbed"; but some sections are archived @ [url]http://web.archive.org/web/20121009110424/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php
select a LINK, Right Click & Hit Properties; copy the second HTTP address; paste in a new browser window or Tab to see original page
miesk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
jobei

Just checked fuel pressure. So that's super low. I'll report back when I'm not repairing this thing with ADD. Still trying to figure out why I can't clear my codes tho....
Old 02-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
jobei

Hey, sorry to dig up this thread but I figure it would be better than starting a new one.

So I'm still getting a no start condition, and I still have codes. I've read in a ton of threads that the ECT sensor will cause a starting issue, but I've already changed it and I'm still having problems. Also, if I hear the fuel pump running and have no gas pressure I don't have a relay problem I have a pump problem, right? I don't want to keep throwing parts at this thing, and it's getting to the point I may just have to TITAFM. If anyone has any ideas I could use the help!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Bronco Info: 2006 Kia Spectra
the ECT WILL CAUSE a no start depending on how it failed.

if you have NO pressure at the rail you need to find out why. i think the 87 Bronco efi has TWO fuel pumps. One in the tank (lift pump, low pressure) and one on the frame rail (high pressure). if either fails you will not start. figure out which one has died and replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco" John Galt View Post
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis
TheUnforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
jobei

Thank you! I just replaced the ECT and still am getting a code. I'm just wondering if I'm getting no connection between the ect and the plug. I just replaced the pump in the tank (I had to replace the tank anyway) and my next move is to replace the pump at the frame rail. Would the ECT cut fuel pressure so it wouldn't start?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

No, ECT tells the computer what the coolant temp is. if the sensor has failed it could be infinite resistance ( i don't remember if that means hot or cold) but if the computer things it's 1000 degrees it won't start. same if the computer thinks it's -1000 degrees.

steve83 has a graph for the accepted values and how the resistance should change with temperature. search for it through his signature, or try to google it. it's measured in ohms.

Before you waste any more time there i would verify the fuel pump that is inoperable. You can also get an ECT code during a self test if the engine isn't up to operating temperature, regardless if the sensor is bad or not. Obviously you can't get it up to operating temp without it running, so i would start with the no-start first, and since you have no fuel pressure that points to a pump.

Quote:
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis
Old 02-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
jobei

Thanks unforgiven. I just had my local napa order a new pump ant it should be installed by 5 today. I'll let you know if it starts then.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Did you verify power at the pump(s) before spending the $$? There may be nothing wrong with the pump(s).

Quote:
Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
jobei

Yep. I jumped the test connectors and verified it.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Quote:
Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
Riggs

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 5.0 E40D and 4.10 gears
I just went through a very similair situation. I was getting codes like yours and no start situations at times.

my problem ended up being the computer itself. I hope your problem is that pump.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
jobei

Riggs, me too. I really don't want to deal with a new computer....
Old 02-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobei View Post
Riggs, me too. I really don't want to deal with a new computer....
it's not THAT hard to change...

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!