Truck running like crap out of nowhere - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
New2Bronco

Bronco Info: '92 Bronco 33" A/T Tires, Six-litre tune-up, Flowmaster SI/DO Super 10 Dual Exhaust, 6000k h.i.d.
Truck running like crap out of nowhere

I was 20 minutes into a drive to work when out of nowhere my truck started misfiring. It seemed to miss horribly when it shifted to a higher gear. Even idle. On a flat road it would run fine until it shifted into a higher gear. Then it was sputtering and running like crap..like it is misfiring. I get it to work and after a few minutes start it back up and it idles fine and put it in reverse and it idles smooth but once I put it in forward it's misfiring. I've had it since '08 (132k miles) and it's never given me this problem before. Any ideas? It's going to get a fuel pump put in it in the a.m. anything I can have him look for? Thanks.
New2Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
85turdburger

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 300 straight 6, early carb and dist conversion, 33X10.50 4inch rough country lift
If you're changing out the fuel pump, don't forget the filters as a plugged filter will kill a new pump in no time. Will the truck idle in forward gears like it does in reverse or does it die after you hit the gas?
85turdburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
New2Bronco

Bronco Info: '92 Bronco 33" A/T Tires, Six-litre tune-up, Flowmaster SI/DO Super 10 Dual Exhaust, 6000k h.i.d.
Yeah I bought a new filter also. It doesn't die..just runs really rough....it hasn't shut off...right now its idling fine..I just drove it a few feet and for the first time it is running normal...also I did put some water remover in the tank before I got to work...I'll see how the ride home goes...Thanks.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
JScatt
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 351W, 2.5 R/C Lift,4.10's..much more to come
Check your plug wires while yur at it.

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.
JScatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
silent one
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 sport,6''DC Stage II 37's streetlocks 4.56's ARB,BroncoAir rear bumper Hefty Fab front bumper
If you have an MSD coil, try putting your old one back on(if you have it) i had a similair issuse and it was that MSD coil.

A CAR CAN ONLY MOVE THE BODY,A BRONCO MOVES THE SOUL.
Silent One's Supermotors Page
January 2010 FOTM Winner
silent one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Ray_rodriguez15

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco/ Ranger XLT/ 4WD/ 351M/
After doing an insane amount of research on
my rig i would start with checking your distributor make sure you are getting god contact and your pickup coil is good( idk testin for this)following with your plugs then plug wires. Check for continuity with a digital meter no resistance should be present. I just checked mine all of them were bad. After that check your coil could be it based on your symptoms disconnect and test your continuity as well from your primary and secondary. Google your coil for the specs or look in a manual including test procedures ( or do a spark test or its bright blue your good any other colors lke dull orange or red etc your coil is going out) then check your Ecm or icm ignition control module. Good luck, anyone feel free to correct me where im wrong paraphrasing from other threads that i have read
Ray_rodriguez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
JScatt
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 351W, 2.5 R/C Lift,4.10's..much more to come
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent one View Post
If you have an MSD coil, try putting your old one back on(if you have it) i had a similair issuse and it was that MSD coil.
Good point.

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.
JScatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
New2Bronco

Well on the way home it started out fine. Then it started doing the same thing again. Until she finally died. A couple times it would start right up but once i put it in gear and touched the gas it would die. I even put it in reverse and it would die. Now, when I was cranking it again, it would get to a certain point and it would just stop cranking for about a half second and it would keep doing that every time. The lights would go out when it got to that point too. During the time I was cranking I was getting some popping out of the exhaust. I let it sit for about 15 minutes and tried to start it and it fired up like nothing was wrong. So i started driving and nothing was wrong for about 5 minutes and the stuttering came back. It's snowing like hell so I took the back roads back and around 30 mph it was fine as long as I didnt accelerate. If I had to climb a small hill it would sputter like crazy. i could be doing 30 and move the pedal down just a tiny bit and it would sputter. I've had the truck since 2008 and put 30,000 since then. Did a tune up a few months after I got it. That's all I can remember...Thanks for the help/advice.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
New2Bronco

I don't have an MSD coil but I have a brand that I think either MSD makes or the same company makes..I forget the name..it has the same specs as the MSD..I wish I could remember the name.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
85turdburger

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 300 straight 6, early carb and dist conversion, 33X10.50 4inch rough country lift
It sounds like with all the moisture from the snow is getting into an ignition component I.e. wires and arching to ground making your rig run rough. Can you hear under the hood while its running rough any popping from spark leakage? With your loss of cranking, loose battery cables? I recently dealt with this on mine and on the starter relay on the firewall, the positive lead from the battery was slightly loose and melted the post on the inside of the relay so it would intermittently lose contact after it got hot and moved around a little.
85turdburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #11
themightyquinn

I would check the fuel pressure before replacing the pump. if the pressure is good, there is no need to replace the pump. I would also check the vacuum lines, specifically the one that runs to the fuel pressure regulator.
themightyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
silent one
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 sport,6''DC Stage II 37's streetlocks 4.56's ARB,BroncoAir rear bumper Hefty Fab front bumper
Try another coil, I had very similar problem when mine crapped out.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

A CAR CAN ONLY MOVE THE BODY,A BRONCO MOVES THE SOUL.
Silent One's Supermotors Page
January 2010 FOTM Winner
silent one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
mickaila
not banned

Bronco Info: 82 XLT Lariat, 351W, C6, NP208, 4.56:1, 37x13.5s, all sheet metal replaced
second the fuel pressure.
maybe a vacc leak too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwagon View Post
I guess most of our members are just WEB WHEELERs and dont need public land?
mickaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
96EB5.8

Bronco Info: 96 eb 351 auto
Check the ignition system cap rotor wires and inspect the pickup in the dist. under the rotor for any cracking.
96EB5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
Mike310

Bronco Info: 1995 Black on Black XLT
I had this problem, when I stomped on it it would miss all over the place. Codes pointed me to the PIP 'profile ignition pickup'. I bought the part and tried to install it in the distributor myself, long story short I was not able to, I put it back together and hand a shop install a whole new distributor, ran excellent afterwards within the entire power ban.

Silent one! F*%K THAT MSD COIL! It happened to me on my 95 5.8L
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #16
New2Bronco

I tried to respond a few days ago but my pc was acting up and my reply never posted. The very next day it ran fine, and so far I haven't had any problems, except one day it ran really rough for a minute while warming up. I only have about 25,000 miles on plugs, wires, cap & rotor and coil. I'll start by changing the cap & rotor and coil.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
COLD45

Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer 351, K&N Filter charger filter intake kit, Flowmaster 40 Series true duals. + More!
Keep us posted, Mine had done that in the past, had to check all my plug wires, turned out one was loose, and when the Bronc heated up some, it would act up.
COLD45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!