Fuel Pump Issue - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Travisfab

Bronco Info: 95 - 351W - E4OD
Fuel Pump Issue

Scratching my head on this one....

I took a good hit and tripped my inertia switch, I've since reset it.
I've also swapped out my relays under the hood. I've jumped the inertia switch, and I've even hot wired the fuel pump. The truck will not turn on, or do the typical 2 second fuel pump run when I turn the key. All fuses are good.

Any ideas?
Travisfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Travisfab

Oh yeah, the truck is a 95' with a 351
Old 01-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Year & engine is BARELY enough info for us to work with. The more we know, the more-relevant our recommendations can be. But don't POST the info - it'll be lost over time. Put it in your profile & signature so it appears with EVERY post. Click this, read the caption, & follow the instructions:

Now start from the beginning: was the truck running perfectly BEFORE the inertia switch incident? What happened? Why did you swap relays? Did you just move them around, or did you replace them? With new, or used? Ford, or aftermarket? What happened when you hot-wired the FP? Did the pump run? Did it build up to normal pressure? Does the dash light up with the key in RUN? Does the CEL come on? What codes does it produce?

If you answer each of those questions thoroughly, we can probably tell you exactly what's wrong. If you skip any or only partially answer them...

. .
Steve83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Travisfab

Yes, the truck was running perfectly before this. I drove over a sand dune a little too fast and basically stuffed the front end of my truck from about 8 feet in the air. It would have been a disaster if my truck was not built like it is.

I just swapped around the relays, didn't replace any. Since my first post I have grounded the fuel pump pin on the self diagnostic port, and the fuel pump turned on, so as far as I can tell the relays and inertia switch are no longer part of the equation.

When I hot wired the fuel pump it ran as well, I'm not sure how to tell if it built up normal pressure, (I dont have a gauge) but I did confirm on the fuel rail above the intake manifold that I am getting fuel to the motor when the pump is running.

The lights do come on when I turn the key, and I do not have a check engine light on. I do not have a reader to scan for codes.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
cajunrebel
Chillin on the Gulf Coast

Bronco Info: Blue 89' EB 5.0, E4OD, OBDII, Mass Air, Saginaw, Hydroboost, 3G alt
You only need a paperclip or something to ground the pins on the self test plug to pull codes on a 95. Read this page to see how to pull codes.
cajunrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Travisfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunrebel View Post
You only need a paperclip or something to ground the pins on the self test plug to pull codes on a 95. Read this page to see how to pull codes.

Thanks!!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
bdp21xls

Post moved to another thread, per Steve's request.
bdp21xls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #8
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisfab View Post
...I'm not sure how to tell if it built up normal pressure, (I dont have a gauge)...
GET a gauge.
Quote:
...I did confirm on the fuel rail above the intake manifold that I am getting fuel to the motor when the pump is running.
That's meaningless. The only way to check is with a fuel pressure gauge.
Quote:
...I do not have a check engine light on.
Doesn't matter - check codes.
Quote:
I do not have a reader to scan for codes.
You don't need one, and they don't work anyway. Click the last diagram in my previous post & read the caption. If you don't see them, adjust your forum preferences to show images in posts & signatures.

. .
Steve83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
bdp21xls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
You should edit your previous post down to nothing, and paste it into a new thread.
I apologize, I would have started a new thread (and still would now) but forum rules prohibit new users from doing so. Since Travis' symptoms are similar to mine, I posted here. I apologize for any confusion.

My question is simple: what could cause the computer to not ground pin 22 to enable the fuel pump relay to prime? As you indicated, there is a wealth of knowledge on the fuel pump issues on many threads and forums that I have used to narrow the problem down to this, but I've been unable to find anyone with the specific problem of a computer that won't enable the fuel pump relay.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
sackman9975
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer 357w, E303 cam on S/D, Warn premium hubs, 3 inch exhaust with flowmaster 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdp21xls View Post
I apologize, I would have started a new thread (and still would now) but forum rules prohibit new users from doing so.
We do have a "Noobie" section and you should have no troubles posting to it

~ Scott ~

~E303 w/Flowmaster 40 & 3inch exhaust rumble ~ 213k & counting. Now my daily driver once again. ~
~ Bronco owner/Driver/Mechanic/Enthusiast for 23 years ~
sackman9975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
bdp21xls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackman9975 View Post
We do have a "Noobie" section and you should have no troubles posting to it
Oops my bad. Thanks, I'll post there.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
96EB5.8

Bronco Info: 96 eb 351 auto
travis my guess is the pcm is not turning on because your incident has done damge that you have not found. recheck all the fuses and grounds. check for power at the pcm relay.
96EB5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Travisfab

I found the issue. The large plug on the drivers side firewall had 2 wires that were slightly pulled out. It took me working on it with some daylight to get it figured out. I literally spotted a dust line on a wire that didn't look right, pulled the plug and found the two wires that were pulled out. The wires were not damaged, they were just sitting too far back in the plug to make a connection. Now on to bigger issues!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech