?'s about 2.5" Exhaust Flanges - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Diabolic

?'s about 2.5" Exhaust Flanges

Ok I would like to try and clear up some exhaust confusion please. I want to remove my stock exhaust on the 95 Bronco with a 351. I see threads where people need to use some sort of insert with the Bassani Y-Pipe because the pipes are 2.5". Will the 2.5" aftermarket stock flange type adapters bolt up to the stock 351 exhaust manifolds without issue or are they too large? I want to run dual 2.5" into a Flowmaster Merge collector then 3" the rest of the way. What size is the stock exhaust pipe on the 95 with a 351? I'm talking the size going into the stock muffler.
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Diabolic

This is what Bassani tells me:

Part number 58150 B3 is for the 351 Bronco and includes a catalytic converter. The down pipes are 2.25" where they connect to the stock manifolds, and they require the use of inserts #150501. This means the stock manifolds are most likely 2" at the exit. This is pretty dissapointing, and I can see where a complete exhaust sytem swap could yield 30+hp.

If I want to build this and use the stock manifolds I will need the 2.25" female ball flange adapters to mount up with the stock manifolds. I wonder if I will still need to purchase the Bassani inserts to make it seal up? I would like to go ahead and install my Lightning Headers, and I may go ahead and do that, but I'll have to temporarily disable my EGR system because it has no EGR provisions like the stock manifolds have. Ahhhhh! This is confusing.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Diabolic

If keeping the stock manifolds in place, could a person fabricate a Y-PIpe using 2.25" 90 bends, band clamps, and a Flowmaster Merge Pipe? In other words, no strange angles that would require something other than a pre bent 90?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Steve83

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
AFAIK, all stock 1/2-ton muffler inlets are the same size, regardless of truck or engine. The only change was the flange joint on '96 Broncos ONLY instead of the slip/clamp joint on all others. My '95 4.9L Y-pipe fit just inside my '96 Bronco muffler, before I welded the mating flange on.

. .

. .
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
kemicalburns
Never Done

swing by any reputable exhaust shop and see what they can do for you. i think you will find it no more expensive than you planned on spending for the bassani y pipe.
JBA headers,Custom Y pipe hi flow cat & Full 3"
kemicalburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Diabolic

My ultimate goal here is to build the Y-PIpe at home without using a welder. I built the entire exhaust for my 93 Lightning this way from the headers to the tailpipes using band typle clamps. Not a single leak in 2 years of daily use, and it comes apart super easy. That's why I'm so curious if 3 90 can be used. If there are no strange 65-80 angles involved I can get it done. Guess I'l mock it up using PVC pipe this weekend and see for myself.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
DNBELOWBRONCO

Bronco Info: '96, 5.8, 4.56, 4", 35's, Thorleys, Warn 8274, 5100's, 160 3G, Sag, 10.25, E-fan, Projectors, 8-Lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolic View Post
If keeping the stock manifolds in place, could a person fabricate a Y-PIpe using 2.25" 90 bends, band clamps, and a Flowmaster Merge Pipe? In other words, no strange angles that would require something other than a pre bent 90?
No, you will need to bend, cut, fab to make your own. It is 2.25" and the 5.0 (302) is the only motor that need the round inserts for the flange where the stock "Y" or the Bassani "Y" bolts to the "stock" exhaust manifolds. You do not however need the flanges to connect a Bassani "y" to the Bassani shortie headers. Where are you finding the "Y" at? As far as I've seen the Bassani "y" for the 5.8's are discontinued and I haven't even seen any floating around on E-bay either. Mostly I see the 5.0's one's around every so often but the deck height is different so we can't use those on our 5.8's.
I just got off the phone with Bassani in Anaheim, Ca and the girl I spoke to was very knowledgeable and said in Ca the smog laws are even stricter as of Jan 1, 2013, didn't know that was possible , and that the "Y" pipes for '96 and up vehicles need to be OBDII compliant and she knows of no one aftermarket that makes a "Y" pipe that complies, including them! Which sucks because they have a 58150B2 (offroad no cats) and a 58150B3 (with cats) for '88-'95 5.8 Broncos. I asked her what if I welded in a couple O2 bungs in the downpipes and she said they would still see that it didn't have a OBDII (E.O.) compliant number stamped on it so it wouldn't pass, especially as of Jan 1st?? Looks like I need to question my smog guy......I knew you couldn't screw with your cats unless they were bad and you used one with an E.O.# stamped on it but I thought you could mess with exhaust pipe as long as you had the O2 sensor bungs in the right place and everything worked/passed smog...... -Kevin-

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Seuss-
DNBELOWBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Diabolic

I guess it depends on who's answering the tech department phone. I was told that the outlet for the manifolds on the 5.0 and 5.8 are the same size and that the Bassani Y-Pipe for the 5.0 and 5.8 both require the use of inserts to allow the 2.25" Bassani pipe to seal up to the stock exhaust manifolds. I have found several 58150B3 Y-Pipes for sale on the web for $500-$600. I plan on using the Flowmaster Y-Pipe merge collector and adding an oxysgen sensor bung to the top of it.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
DNBELOWBRONCO

Bronco Info: '96, 5.8, 4.56, 4", 35's, Thorleys, Warn 8274, 5100's, 160 3G, Sag, 10.25, E-fan, Projectors, 8-Lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolic View Post
I guess it depends on who's answering the tech department phone. I was told that the outlet for the manifolds on the 5.0 and 5.8 are the same size and that the Bassani Y-Pipe for the 5.0 and 5.8 both require the use of inserts to allow the 2.25" Bassani pipe to seal up to the stock exhaust manifolds. I have found several 58150B3 Y-Pipes for sale on the web for $500-$600. I plan on using the Flowmaster Y-Pipe merge collector and adding an oxygen sensor bung to the top of it.
I'm guessing you only have one O2 sensor then? I thought you had two on your '95. I would still put them into each down pipe instead of in the Flowmaster collector. My left pipe is right before the pipe curves toward the center (about 5"-6" from the header) and the right pipe is in just before the pipe merges to the first cat (about 5"-6" from the header too). The third (cat sensor) is a few inches right after my second cat. I just replaced mine with Ford one's this week. Where do you live because if you disable your EGR and go to the hassle of installing the Lightening headers you will never pass the visual for smog, plus you need to re-search doing the "Y" before you waste too much money.
I however think it would be a cool idea to have a second exhaust system that disassembles from the headers back so you could have a custom performance "Y" and a single hi-flow cat 3" all the way to a decent muffler. That way you could keep the stock exhaust for smog every two years and run the better setup in between! If it was all clamped then removing it would be cake and the performance exhaust could still have the O2's so the PCM would be happy and all the shift points etc would remain the same....
The Bassani site says this for the headers....
50 State Street Legal E.O.#D-374.
Chrome
Not needed is using Bassani Equalenght headers.
Part #150501 Flange rings required for use with stock exhaust manifolds or small collector style headers.
1 1/2" diameter, Equalenght 14g primary tubes, 3/8" thick laser-cut flange with a 2 1/2" > 3" collector.
The site says this for the "Y" pipe......
Legal in California only for racing vehicles which may never be used upon a highway.
It is illegal to remove a properly functioning catalytic converter.
S.S. comes with Metallic Subtrate Catalytic Converters
2 1/4" diameter tube at Y and 3" diameter tube at leg.

That would lead me to believe that their "Y" 2 1/4" would not need anything to reduce the size because the headers are 2 1/2" to 3" but if the "Y" (flanges out) like stock "Y's" then I think they would fit fine, like my stock "Y" fits to my headers....
My stock "Y" fits my Doug Thorley shorties and I have never heard of anyone's Bassani "Y" not fitting their Bassani headers or using rings with a 5.8 only with 5.0's and only with stock exhaust manifolds. There's so much confusion and different reports here it ends up being a trial and error or hit and miss.....

-Kevin-

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Seuss-
Old 01-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
Diabolic

Right, I don't see why all the confusion. Who has made an aftermarket Y-Pipe with stock manifolds?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
rla2005

I used a Bassani 58150B2 on my 1992 F350 w/5.8L engine and stock exhaust manifolds. No adapter rings required. The B2 version comes without a converter. I wanted to choose my own.
rla2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
DNBELOWBRONCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rla2005 View Post
I used a Bassani 58150B2 on my 1992 F350 w/5.8L engine and stock exhaust manifolds. No adapter rings required. The B2 version comes without a converter. I wanted to choose my own.
See that's what I've always heard, that 5.8's have no issues with stock exhaust manifolds and the Bassani "Y" pipe and don't need the rings, just the 5.0's.....

Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
Diabolic

Anyone have pics or measurements of the 5.0 manifold outlets compared to the 5.8?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Hambone1983

Bronco Info: 1983 XLT 351W, C6, 33s
i will have to measure again to be sure, but i just fabbed up a y-pipe this weeked for my 351W and the exhause port diameter was 1 7/8".

I fabbed my pipe out of 2 1/4" straigt pipe and some 180 degree mandrel bends i picked up from a local shop. There was no real science to it, mostly measure once cut twice.....

i got fed up with scouring the internet for a y-pipe that would work, not to mention that exhaust shops in CA generally won't install or connect to components that aren't CARB approved. So i decided to just fab my complete exhaust. 2 1/4 y pipe, into 3" "custom" collector, into 3" summit racing glasspack, into 3" tailpipe. I'll report back once the muffler and tailpipe are installed, but it sounds like a bad ass drag car.

You would have a real challenge doing it without a welder.
Hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #15
DNBELOWBRONCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone1983 View Post
i will have to measure again to be sure, but i just fabbed up a y-pipe this weeked for my 351W and the exhause port diameter was 1 7/8".

I fabbed my pipe out of 2 1/4" straigt pipe and some 180 degree mandrel bends i picked up from a local shop. There was no real science to it, mostly measure once cut twice.....

i got fed up with scouring the internet for a y-pipe that would work, not to mention that exhaust shops in CA generally won't install or connect to components that aren't CARB approved. So i decided to just fab my complete exhaust. 2 1/4 y pipe, into 3" "custom" collector, into 3" summit racing glasspack, into 3" tailpipe. I'll report back once the muffler and tailpipe are installed, but it sounds like a bad ass drag car.

You would have a real challenge doing it without a welder.
Yeah, with a welder you could tack weld it in place to be accurate and make it easier when you take it off to finish it.... -Kevin-

Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
Full-boost21

I ran into sealing issues at the collectors with my shorty headers. I had a local exhaust shop weld 2.5" pipe to the header collectors, and make a new Y pipe with V-band flanges. Take it to an exhaust shop and show them what you want. You could do it your self with prebends and a welder if you can weld, but an exhaust shop can make the bends to fit nice and snug and save you a ton of time.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #17
bondobob

Bronco Info: 1987 XLT 5.0 AOD
Mock up what you want and use "Marmon" style flanges and clamps. Google them they are a great way to connect pipes.
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech