harmonic balancer wobble? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
notposimatt

Bronco Info: 1989 5.8 lt. 2 inch leveler. 33in tires nothing special.
harmonic balancer wobble?

so i took off my timing cover to put a new gasket back there and while i was at it i tried to clean everything off. the harmonic balancer has a rubber o ring around the middle of it and i noticed there was a little chunk missing. when i asked the guy at autoozone he said it was fine and then when i started my truck up there was what appered to be a wobble nothing else but the dampner was wobbling and i used an impact drill to get it on there. any ideas
notposimatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
jermil01
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweecer tuned
If your harmonic balancer is the original, go ahead and replace it. The rubber will dry rot, and it will let go at the worst possible time. Anyway, it is cheap insurance rather than having it spin on you like what happened to me.

Vote 4 Top 4x4 Site!!!
jermil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
SamsRX7

Bronco Info: 87 Bronco XLT Eddie 5.slow
REPLACE IT. When that rubber starts to come out, it is then a matter of time before it lets loose, and if your lucky, it won't bust a hole in your timing cover.
Also you will notice the engine all of a sudden runs smooth
SamsRX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
cajunrebel
Chillin on the Gulf Coast

Bronco Info: Blue 89' EB 5.0, E4OD, OBDII, Mass Air, Saginaw, Hydroboost, 3G alt
This company rebuild dampeners very well.
cajunrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco 5.8 DD, 88 Bronco motorless Mudder
^ thats expenive compared to buying new for like 60$

i wish they made the balancer for my 96. the tone ring built on for the crankshaft position sensor makes mine impossible to find

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
Kingfish999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
DNBELOWBRONCO

Bronco Info: '96, 5.8, 4.56, 4", 35's, Thorleys, Warn 8274, 5100's, 160 3G, Sag, 10.25, E-fan, Projectors, 8-Lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish999 View Post
^ thats expenive compared to buying new for like 60$

i wish they made the balancer for my 96. the tone ring built on for the crankshaft position sensor makes mine impossible to find
Hey man how's thing's? I found a company about an hour from me that re-builds the '96's with a 2-stage epoxy and grinds and re-lazer etches the deg numbers back on and guarantees their work. They took a little long to do mine and sent to the wrong address down the street but I think it was just a bad time of year for them, and they did a really good job. I think the guys working there just wanted to start their vacation. I think the owner has been doing these for like 30 years. I had actually thrown mine away on accident while I pulled my motor to seal up some leaks, one being the timing cover. I just found a old one at a junkyard with like 300K on it and they rebuilt it. As flaky as they were at the time I was impressed with their work...
Here's the link....
http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant...&Store_Code=DD
-Kevin-

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Seuss-
DNBELOWBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNBELOWBRONCO View Post
Hey man how's thing's? I found a company about an hour from me that re-builds the '96's with a 2-stage epoxy and grinds and re-lazer etches the deg numbers back on and guarantees their work. They took a little long to do mine and sent to the wrong address down the street but I think it was just a bad time of year for them, and they did a really good job. I think the guys working there just wanted to start their vacation. I think the owner has been doing these for like 30 years. I had actually thrown mine away on accident while I pulled my motor to seal up some leaks, one being the timing cover. I just found a old one at a junkyard with like 300K on it and they rebuilt it. As flaky as they were at the time I was impressed with their work...
Here's the link....
http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant...&Store_Code=DD
-Kevin-
thx i sent them an email. the problem with mine tho is the toner ring teeth are broken off. idk if that will affect anything rebuilding it. at first it was only throwing a p0385. depite steves and miesk saying the ring wont cause that, when i modified the sensor closer and filed the tips evenly it went away. but not its showing p0300 so not much better

Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
351w500
Ok, Ill admit it's Vagish

Bronco Info: '90 xlt 351w E40D Truetrac I GOT ROLLER ROCKERS !
Pro-Race has stock and SFI at good prices, nice product too-
351w500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
DNBELOWBRONCO

Bronco Info: '96, 5.8, 4.56, 4", 35's, Thorleys, Warn 8274, 5100's, 160 3G, Sag, 10.25, E-fan, Projectors, 8-Lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish999 View Post
thx i sent them an email. the problem with mine tho is the toner ring teeth are broken off. idk if that will affect anything rebuilding it. at first it was only throwing a p0385. depite steves and miesk saying the ring wont cause that, when i modified the sensor closer and filed the tips evenly it went away. but not its showing p0300 so not much better
I would contact them and see if they have an extra tone ring there or if they can get you one. If not you can look for any 5.8 F150, F250, E150, E250, or Bronco '96 "exclusively" and it comes off by just putting a large flat blade screwdriver between it and the weight and twisting slowly all the way around the damper.
I think the Damper Doctor has the better warranty (3 yr) if they re-build it and use their 2-stage epoxy but I don't know why they sell "in stock" new one's (1 yr) with just OEM neoprene unless they are just cheaper and not as strong. You'd figure they would just sell the best and cut costs some how. I know they burn out the old rubber, sand or bead blast them clean, check them, balance and fill with the 2-stage epoxy, laser etch the #'s, paint, double check and they're done. I believe they do something with the sleeves too. I had code PO385 (crankshaft malfunction) and code PO300 is (multiple cylinder misfire detected) which can be generated by the same problem. I know they will disappear when you fix the damper so don't worry...
-Kevin-

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Seuss-
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
DNBELOWBRONCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351w500 View Post
Pro-Race has stock and SFI at good prices, nice product too-
I thought there was something about SFI and '96's that didn't match like maybe the tone ring. I remember checking them out. Just can't quite remember what it was............ -Kevin-

Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
notposimatt

Hey guys thanks for the help I'm only final drive it to move it out of the garage for the weekend then back once I clean it . Think there's a problem with that? It's like 15 feet
Old 01-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
Kingfish999
Nothing beets a Fullsize

cant be any worse than having a constant missfire like many people have

Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #13
notposimatt

Also is there any way it could be an optical illusion? ...I know its missing a small chunk of rubber so I'm sure its a good idea to change it
Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #14
351w500
Ok, Ill admit it's Vagish

Bronco Info: '90 xlt 351w E40D Truetrac I GOT ROLLER ROCKERS !
DNBELOW, That may be true.....
351w500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #15
Clarke

Bronco Info: F150 ext cab, 5.8 auto/ 96 bronco 5.8 MAF with E4ohishitmyself pushy button 4x4
idk whats up with parts counter employees these days.
"hey man this part broke off what should i do"
"your fine but here sign this waiver i made just in case"
"in case of what"
"nothing its fine"
thats what i feel like is going on sometimes
you should go ahead and replace the part murphys law man.
i live down the block from an autozone. theirs one guy who works their i like. i asked him one day howd you get this job, do you like it? he replyd i sold paint for 20 years then got fired with all my coworkers after our boss died and his son gutted the company and moved to hollywood. ive never even changed my own oil. i spend all day telling people i sell car parts if you want to know something about them the haynes manuals are in aisle 2

Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #16
DNBELOWBRONCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
idk whats up with parts counter employees these days.
"hey man this part broke off what should i do"
"your fine but here sign this waiver i made just in case"
"in case of what"
"nothing its fine"
thats what i feel like is going on sometimes
you should go ahead and replace the part murphys law man.
i live down the block from an Autozone. theirs one guy who works their i like. i asked him one day howd you get this job, do you like it? he replyd i sold paint for 20 years then got fired with all my coworkers after our boss died and his son gutted the company and moved to hollywood. ive never even changed my own oil. i spend all day telling people i sell car parts if you want to know something about them the haynes manuals are in aisle 2
Haha got to be Autozone. We had a lot porter at the Ford dealership I worked at and he used to come into parts and ask about parts for his Ranger. I left in 2005 and ran into him in the Autozone next to my house when I was looking for a rental tool that O'reilly's and Napa had lent out. I needed to get my damper off and they were my last shot for the day. I asked him how long he worked there and he said a couple years and he was behind the counter at the time. I asked how he got a parts job and he said he told them "he worked" in the parts dept at Ford..........and they believed him and never checked?? -Kevin-

Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
notposimatt

So I put on a new balancer and now it seems like the crankshaft pulley has awobble as well and the belt moves about an 1/8 inch on the water pump pulley. Any ideas? Does it seem like my crankshaft got bent somehow? All help is appreciated
Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
JKossarides
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
Maybe you didn't seat it properly, you have to put it back on with the wheel puller AND did you check the crank shaft end for scoring or damage, there's an aluminum repair sleeve you can buy to put on the crank shaft end if there's damage...

You'd have to pull a lot of rpm's to bend a crank shaft due to a harmonic balancer, maybe the new one is defective.....?

Good Luck ~
JKossarides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
notposimatt

Does this look okay to everyone? Is it not suppose to go all the way?

Old 01-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #20
TheUnforgiven
Dr. Brian & Mr. Unfer

Bronco Info: 2006 Kia Spectra/2005 Chevrolet Venture
Where's the balancer?
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis

"To be easily amused is to live most of your life smiling."
TheUnforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!