New guy. Have questions. Thank you. - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
silver70

Bronco Info: '88 Bronco, 5.0L, AOD, stock as stock gets (for now)
Talking New guy. Have questions. Thank you.

So, I just joined the forum a couple weeks ago after trading my '95 Explorer straight across for a '78 Bronco. Never had one before but I got sick of dealing with all electronic crap on the Explorer (emissions, electronic transfer case, electronic transmission, the list goes on). Anyways, the Bronco's a total sh!tbox. Rusted floor pans, half the stuff dosn't work, mechanicals on their last leg, etc.

One of the previous owners hacked in a lift kit (don't know what size) and an 8-lug Chevy spindle conversion (don't really understand why one would want to do this to their Ford).

Thus far I have replaced starting system, rebuilt aftermarket Carter carb that's on there, installed new PS pump, rebuilt PS gear box myself (my first one), re-adjusted timing and just, generally, got it to go down the road acceptably. My questions:

1.) How do I know what size the lift kit is?

2.) What is the purpose/benefit of installing Chevy 8-lug spindles on the Bronco?

3.) How is my rear tailgate/glass supposed to work (is it ignition key-operated or something)?

I'm pretty new to the off-road scene (built a few street machines, though) and I have no idea how my Bronco is supposed to work because I have to sift through all the crap the previous owner did to it. Thanks for any help, guys.

Eric
silver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
DirkDiggler

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco. 4 inch lift, 37 inch H1 tires. Edy intake, 650 carb and new timing set ready to go in
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver70 View Post
So, I just joined the forum a couple weeks ago after trading my '95 Explorer straight across for a '78 Bronco. Never had one before but I got sick of dealing with all electronic crap on the Explorer (emissions, electronic transfer case, electronic transmission, the list goes on). Anyways, the Bronco's a total sh!tbox. Rusted floor pans, half the stuff dosn't work, mechanicals on their last leg, etc.

One of the previous owners hacked in a lift kit (don't know what size) and an 8-lug Chevy spindle conversion (don't really understand why one would want to do this to their Ford).

Thus far I have replaced starting system, rebuilt aftermarket Carter carb that's on there, installed new PS pump, rebuilt PS gear box myself (my first one), re-adjusted timing and just, generally, got it to go down the road acceptably. My questions:

1.) How do I know what size the lift kit is?

2.) What is the purpose/benefit of installing Chevy 8-lug spindles on the Bronco?

3.) How is my rear tailgate/glass supposed to work (is it ignition key-operated or something)?

I'm pretty new to the off-road scene (built a few street machines, though) and I have no idea how my Bronco is supposed to work because I have to sift through all the crap the previous owner did to it. Thanks for any help, guys.

Eric
First off welcome to the the sickness. If you thought the emissions on that 95 were bad, just you wait. Its like satan himself designed that crap.

For lift kits i would check out the back. Does it have stock springs? If so does it have the shackles flipped, or blocks on it? I think This would be the easiest way to figure it out.

For the rear window you should have a switch on the dash to the right of the air selector. If it dosnt work then your in the club. The key hole on the tailgate should work, but as i found out many times the tailgates on these things have beenreplaced, aka your key wont work.
DirkDiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #3
BigBud

Bronco Info: No bronco for now
The 8 lug front is to match the 8 lug of the 1 ton rear end.

Blocks aren't always used, my add a leaf rear lift is about 4-5 inches. If 35s clear by a whole lot, then its a 6.
BigBud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
silver70

There are blocks out back. So, do I just meaure those and however tall they are is the lift kit size?

For the key-operated tailgate window, which way do I turn the key in the dash to operate the window? Is it like a one-touch kind of switch, or, do I have to hold it until the window goes all the way down?

Also, this one is really dumb: is there supposed to be a tailgate handle on the outside to lower it, or, just on the inside?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 01-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
NightMares

Bronco Info: 1988 XLT 5.0/AOD
I'm new to the bronco scene, but know enough about lifts general use of it.

Measure the blocks, that'll show how much lift the rear has. The front depends on how it's lifted.

The key operated tailgate means you put the key in the tailgate on the outside. Turn it to go up, other way to go down. The switch is the same idea. Should be a toggle switch, one way to go up, one way to go down.

There should only be a handle on the inside. This is to prevent you from trying to open the tailgate with the window up.
99 Grand Cherokee
NightMares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
silver70

Great. Thank you.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
sjd

Bronco Info: 1994 Ford F150 4x4 Regular Cab Short Flareside
Quote:
Even if the Explorer was in better shape the Bronco is undeniably cooler. Welcome!

Are you planning the Bronco as a project?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
379sinvb
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion & Yeller
Welcome aboard the site. As for the inside window switch, key in ignition turned "on" or "a/c". Then locate lift lever on right side of heater controls. How about some pics of the old girl so we can pic it apart.

ForOffRoadDomination

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"

Yellers Build
379sinvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
silver70

Thanks for the warm "welcome's" guys.

Ummm... I really didn't intend for the Bronco to be a "project." However, it is turning out that way, in SPADES (see my new thread post in this section). I think they look awesome, though, and I enjoy the outdoors a lot: hiking, hunting, generally exploring. The Explorer left me stranded several times because of electronic failures with the transfer case and transmission. Just before I traded it I had replaced 90 percent of the emissions system ($$$) and the "Check Engine" light still wouldn't turn off and here, in Phoenix, they won't even test you if your light is on. So, I decided I'm done with electronics.

Long story short: $2400 to get the Explorer running/driving well vs. $1800 to rebuild a bullet-proof '78 Bronco. I used to build street cars as a hobby back in the day and know the carb'd stuff fairly well. I've built motors, transmissions, and rear diffs for several people, shot some paint, and set up suspension (currently own a '70 Maverick that I'm modding for myself).

However, this Bronco I have now is the BIGGEST sh!tbox I've ever seen. The last owner lived in a small town and had limited access to parts and resources, so, much of the stuff is "hacked" in and the rest is mix-and-matched. I had no idea how bad of shape this thing was, really, in (again, see new post). Most of the sheetmetal needs replacing (cancer), including the floor-pan, mechanicals on their last leg, electrical gremlins running rampant, paint is gone. I've set a goal of six months to get her restored.

I'll try to post pics when I get a chance. Give you guys a good laugh and make you feel better about your rigs.

This thing might end up kicking my ass, but, not today.

Thanks for all your patience and help,
Eric
Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
dirty_drew

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco, 4.9l 5 speed, 32" Falken Wild Peaks, 2" lift
Quote:
Thanks for the warm "welcome's" guys.

Ummm... I really didn't intend for the Bronco to be a "project." However, it is turning out that way, in SPADES (see my new thread post in this section). I think they look awesome, though, and I enjoy the outdoors a lot: hiking, hunting, generally exploring. The Explorer left me stranded several times because of electronic failures with the transfer case and transmission. Just before I traded it I had replaced 90 percent of the emissions system ($$$) and the "Check Engine" light still wouldn't turn off and here, in Phoenix, they won't even test you if your light is on. So, I decided I'm done with electronics.

Long story short: $2400 to get the Explorer running/driving well vs. $1800 to rebuild a bullet-proof '78 Bronco. I used to build street cars as a hobby back in the day and know the carb'd stuff fairly well. I've built motors, transmissions, and rear diffs for several people, shot some paint, and set up suspension (currently own a '70 Maverick that I'm modding for myself).

However, this Bronco I have now is the BIGGEST sh!tbox I've ever seen. The last owner lived in a small town and had limited access to parts and resources, so, much of the stuff is "hacked" in and the rest is mix-and-matched. I had no idea how bad of shape this thing was, really, in (again, see new post). Most of the sheetmetal needs replacing (cancer), including the floor-pan, mechanicals on their last leg, electrical gremlins running rampant, paint is gone. I've set a goal of six months to get her restored.

I'll try to post pics when I get a chance. Give you guys a good laugh and make you feel better about your rigs.

This thing might end up kicking my ass, but, not today.

Thanks for all your patience and help,
Eric
Youll be glad and proud of the love you give her, there arent enough good looking 78s rolling around these days! Plus wheres the fun in getting a vehicle you cant pour love/money into!

Good luck!
dirty_drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #11
AFBronco235
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco w/ 5.0 L V8, Auto w/ E40D
The sheet metal work shouldn't be too hard if you have a tig welder and patience.
Can't wait to see the "hacked in" stuff. Should be interesting.
1991 Bronco w/ 5.0L V8, Auto w/ E40D trans, factory spare tire rack, factory limited slip diff, dual batteries, custom air intake, 8K lb. winch, tactical seat covers, drop down TV w/ CD/DVD player, 31's on stock suspension, roof baskets, new injectors,

To Do List: light bar, paint, new tires (33's), new rear bumper w/ tire rack & jerry can holder, hi-lift jack

My BKO build: Project Farmhand
AFBronco235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #12
El Kabong
Driving Stuff Henry Built

Bronco Info: -90 xlt, 351w, e4od, 3.55:1, sag, warn hubs, trans cooler, 35" bfg m/t, -73, 400, np435, 35s
Welcome again and congrats on getting a 78. Check out Scoop's build thread. He's done some nice work on his. Floor replacement starts in post 126.

“Don't find fault, find a remedy.” -Henry Ford
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
silver70

I have a Licoln MIG, 140 AMP. It's what I've been using for metal-fab thus far. Hopefully, it's up to the task I'm about to set it to.

Yeah, one good example is the front sway bar. After the previous owner put the lift on, the sway bar no longer worked, I guess. So, one of the mounting brackets is correct and the other looks like he was just plain mad at it. "Massaged" it into place with a grinder, hammer, and sawzall and mounted it at an angle. Real quality work. Now, I don't know much about lift kits, but, I know this is totally wrong and I can't remove the front diff cover because of it (sway bar torqued up against it).

All in all, this is gonna be more work than I signed up for, but, this rig was doomed for the wrecking yard. Glad I found her first.

Everyone and their brother is trying to get these old rigs off the road. I'm trying to put one back on.

Eric
Old 01-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
Saltlife
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 2004 F-150 XLT
Post a picture of fron and rear lift components we might be able to help with the lift.
Saltlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
BRONCONUT
Local # 40 Boilermakers

Bronco Info: being raped by my wrenches and welder
Another advantage of the 8clug swap I didn't see mentioned is the bigger brakes, when you have bigger tires you need um Your rear window should work with a key in the tailgte or a switch on the dash. You can check the safety switch in the tailgate along with the motor. Make sure the motor works by putting a battery to it. Your safety swich is on the drivers side and it basicly will not let the tailgate work if the window is up. If you need some of those parts check out Broncograveyard, theyu pretty much have every part you will need.

My Stupidmotors
BRONCONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
silver70

Thanks much.

All of the power accesories( windows, radio, some kind of extra battery charging thing I've never seen before) are shot and the window gaskets are toast, anyways. I just was wondering how the window was supposed to operate. The key doesn't work in the tailgate. Key housing is all worn out and won't even turn.

As previously stated, I'm brand new to Bronco's and the off-road scene. I've had 4WD and gone on a few back trails, but, nothing serious.

I'll take some "what's this thing" pictures and, maybe, it will help. Be back shortly.

Eric
Old 01-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
silver70

How do I post pics? I have them saved on my PC. Can I even do that yet? I'm a new member.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
Saltlife
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 2004 F-150 XLT
Quote:
How do I post pics? I have them saved on my PC. Can I even do that yet? I'm a new member.
Create a photobucket.com account, upload the pictures there, Copy the IMG CODE here.
Saltlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #19
silver70

Photobucket account active. Let's give this a whirl...

Some pics of the lift kit, some kind of electronic gizmo with a blinking red light on the lower left portion of the dash, the hacked up front sway bar mount, and two side pics of the new-to-me rig. Questions:

1.) What's the lift kit size?

2.) What's the little electronic gizmo with blinking red light on the lower dash?

3.) What's the blue "isolator" thing do that I'm holding in my hand?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #20
silver70

Hey, what the hell is that little red "x" thing and where are my friggin' pics?!

Is that what this guy is for

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!